Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sorry Bob,
But when all I read are put downs about the rest of the world, I just can't help but point out that the US is not so very perfect.
Yea we have problems, just don't over exaggerate them, ill do admit i really have a dislike for religion in this country. North Carolina's ban on same-sex marriage sparks cheers, jeers - CNN.com even though this is no where near me and my state is more accepting and welcoming, it still hurts to see this happening in the same country i live in.

Quote:
Don't be ridiculously arrogant and insist on putting down other countries and I won't have reason to throw some reality into the punch.
I have no reason to put down other countries (did i? sorry if i did) because i really love pretty much every country in Europe, Asia and the Americas. Especially Scandinavian countries

Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM

497 posts, read 1,430,612 times
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter
It does seem very likely that American parents (for whatever reason) are more caring/doting for their children than European parents. Everyone has so much more freedom to do anything from a young age there. Kids drinking wine at 6 and other socially odd and somewhat stupid things.

-----

Wine at 6 and crack at 7.
Preppy kids only smoke Morrocan Haschisch at 8.
Free love in kindergartens (Huxley taught us).
Kids also stone priests with cloaks (they hide lately) and fat tourists with sneakers and socks from New Jersey.
By 10 most girls turn lesbian, they are tired of boys.
Only cockeyed kids with thick glasses believe in Lord JC (they become priests).

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
We're No. 1 in teen birth rates, too!
Go USA!!!
Teenage pregnancy statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

464,000 greater than the next highest country.
But isnt Polands population like 40 million compared to our 300 million?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Even if you take that into account, the US number is still more than twice as high as Poland's:

USA: 494,357 births per 300 million people
Poland: 30,413 births per 40 million people = 228,097 births per 300 million people

By the way, the US has 10 x more teen births per capita than my "promiscuous" country of the Netherlands

Last edited by LindavG; 06-19-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM

52 posts, read 188,043 times
Quote:
For people unable/unwilling to calculate per capita values themselves:

File:Teenage birth rate per 1000 women 15
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demograph...10/Table10.pdf

Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Yea we have problems, just don't over exaggerate them, ill do admit i really have a dislike for religion in this country. North Carolina's ban on same-sex marriage sparks cheers, jeers - CNN.com even though this is no where near me and my state is more accepting and welcoming, it still hurts to see this happening in the same country i live in.

I have no reason to put down other countries (did i? sorry if i did) because i really love pretty much every country in Europe, Asia and the Americas. Especially Scandinavian countries
I don't exaggerate the problems.
I provide very clear links to most of them.

I responded to posters who did put down Europe, ex. 6 year olds drinking, etc.

The US needs to deal with its own problems and leave the rest of the world alone.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
So you're saying that 494.7k teen births a year is a good thing?
699.7k teen births total for 26 countries. 494.7 of these are from the US.
That's more than the next 25 countries combined.

Per capita it's the highest in the industrialized world.
http://members.home.nl/davehorne/Nat...%20country.pdf

You like the US being number 1 in teen births?
It's a big problem.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Obesity is related to income and education. So most high income, highly educated Americans are quite fit and they are the world leaders in weight loss technology, whole foods and fad diets.

But poor and uneducated Americans occupy top positions on obesity...

So again, the US is the land of constrasts...The most and the least health conscious people on earth.
That's might not quite be so accurate. How many Americans work inside an office building and sit down all day? Then they go home in a car and sit during their commute? Some of them may work out, but I don't expect that it's a common thing for higher income people to automatically be fitter people.

I expect that this trend is even lower in low density cities where the bulk of the workforce lives in suburbia. They may be able to afford healthier food, yes, but they're not exactly burning calories any quicker in their daily lifestyle than a poor person who works hard labor and eats fast food.

Otherwise, America's obesity problem would suggest that we have more poverty than other industrialized countries which I don't think is the case.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
So you're saying that 494.7k teen births a year is a good thing?
699.7k teen births total for 26 countries. 494.7 of these are from the US.
That's more than the next 25 countries combined.

Per capita it's the highest in the industrialized world.
http://members.home.nl/davehorne/NationMaster%20-%20Teenage%20pregnancy%20(per%20capita)%20(most%20 recent)%20by%20country.pdf

You like the US being number 1 in teen births?
It's a big problem.
No where i said its a good thing, i just dont care about other peoples decisions (unless it will affect me)
I really don't care how early people have kids, as long as they can provide good care for the kid and still support your family than go ahead and do what you like. Some teenage parents can be good parents, some can be absolutely horrible.

But its not like when your walking around the mall you see pregnant teenagers everywhere, we have plenty of teenagers who don't have kids too

Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM

459 posts, read 724,018 times
Quote:
No source, sorry, I provided the link; rainn provides the sources.
And you know nothing of Europe, oooh, you visited there.
Hence, you can fabricate anything you like.
Apparently, they love their kids so much in the US that they sexually abuse them at a high rate.
Okay, I'll see the source later. Yes, I've visited Europe. Twice. Extended periods. And I have family there. I guess my point is that you're trying to distract and de-legitimize my opinion by making me seem childish. I hope others can see through your smoke-screen. And not every parent is perfect, though I believe it is better to have a strong, guiding hand with children rather than letting them run free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Chicago has a higher homicide rate than Kabul:

Make that paranoid, America is dominated by fear, which is NOT a good thing.

Do you ever think about the environmental consequences of your actions? Why not built some trees and wind farms and solar panels instead of houses, as if there weren't enough urban sprawl already.
Chicago's crime rate is notoriously high. But only on the South Side, as others have mentioned. It is no fault of the country that this is so. It is the fault of gang-members and killers.

The environmental consequences? Heck. Most new houses are more green than ever before, and in sunny areas almost all have solar power, especially with recent government incentives to go green. Energy saving appliances are also being utilized for the majority of all new homes and are put in older homes as well by conscious citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Of course we have problems in Europe. Who said we didn't?
That's an American problem. Your people are huge and its bad for their health. Its a very big problem. A kid is going to take the biggest of anything because he is a kid. He doesn't think of the
consequences, the parents should.
You know this how?
Its true.
So you make bad food for kids because its easier to make and less of an effort. Does that make it ok?

Watch this and tell me its just a little frozen food and pizza]
Its a massive problem in America.
Oh, John, I've seen both before. And you make it seem like I don't care about our kids. I do. I just figure that there ARE healthy options AND/OR the kid could bring his own lunch. And look back in a couple hundred years: genetically enhanced food will prevent starvation and optimize food levels.

You made it seem so nice. "Oh, maybe we just feel safer here." That's what you said. Why? There are murders, deaths, gang violence and rape in Europe as well.
And now I'm huge and we're all huge in America. Don't you think we know of the issues? The poor often have no choice but to eat unhealthily (until recently with new programs to assist the poor with fruits and vegetables in many states).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Is criticism anti-USA? Are we only allowed to love our country?
Criticism is alright. Obsessive whining and magnification of problems is not. It makes me thing some people would be happier in Europe, and forget the U.S. Sad.

Quote:
We're No. 1 in teen birth rates, too!
Go USA!!!

464,000 greater than the next highest country.
It seems like you'd be happier somewhere else. You're magnifying problems to make your own country look terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter
It does seem very likely that American parents (for whatever reason) are more caring/doting for their children than European parents. Everyone has so much more freedom to do anything from a young age there. Kids drinking wine at 6 and other socially odd and somewhat stupid things.
--------
Wine at 6 and crack at 7.
Preppy kids only smoke Morrocan Haschisch at 8.
Free love in kindergartens (Huxley taught us).
Kids also stone priests with cloaks (they hide lately) and fat tourists with sneakers and socks from New Jersey.
By 10 most girls turn lesbian, they are tired of boys.
Only cockeyed kids with thick glasses believe in Lord JC (they become priests).
Well, it was quite funny to read, but you did over-react to my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World