Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 01:10 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I must say, I don't understand all the enthusiasm for NYC. There was a poll asking whether San Francisco or NYC was preferable, and NYC won.
There are people who don't love Paris.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
have you been to NYC?
Yes; some parts are dirty, other parts are tidy.
NYC is no longer the nasty city that you see in '70 and '80 movies...

Old 06-16-2012, 01:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Also, I don't understand why people think U.S. cities are "dirty." Some parts of them are, like the ghettos (but there's no reason for most visitors to go there).

But usually where the tourists go and where the main visitor attractions are, the cities are pretty clean and well-kept.
New York is a great city with grime. It is like most other big cities when it comes to dirt but the one thing I cant stand about NYC is the state of the subway. It makes me sick. You see rats running on the platform and on the track and sometimes on the train itselt. That is disgusting. Thats my only problem with NYC.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
New York is a great city with grime. It is like most other big cities when it comes to dirt but the one thing I cant stand about NYC is the state of the subway. It makes me sick. You see rats running on the platform and on the track and sometimes on the train itselt. That is disgusting. Thats my only problem with NYC.
I agree: the subway is a pain in the ass... some subway stations have been restored: hopefully the trend will continue in the future: NYC won't be competitive anymore if it doesn't improve its subway...

Old 06-16-2012, 01:29 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
That's true. I did see rats on the rails last time. At least they're not inside the trains. lol.

Visually, the New York subway isn't the most appealing - although it's better than it used to be from what I hear. But I do think it's a fast and efficient system and has very good coverage compared to most other U.S. cities.

I'm in Washington D.C. and I ride the metro here a lot. The trains and stations are clean and appealing compared to the New York subway because the D.C. metro is a much newer system as well. However, it has other problems - the fares are too high and it doesn't reach to enough suburbs yet in the D.C. area. There's also constant track maintenance, which gets bothersome. So, no system is perfect.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:42 PM

311 posts, read 605,887 times
New York City has a population of 8.3 million and 20 million in metropolitan area, along with millions of tourists. Of course you will see some dirt and litter in the city, just like any other large city in the world. I was in Stockholm and came back a month ago, I heard it was the "Cleanest" city in Europe and was surprised to see litter on the streets and sidewalks (Cigarettes, coke cans, food, etc.). So please don't come tell us NYC is dirty. Parts of the city is, but the majority is mainly clean. The city cleans the street frequently but cannot keep up with peoples dirt! NYC has 100% changed from the 70s, 80s, and 90s - stop watching old movies.

Paris and London are not that clean either, as well as Berlin which was digusting.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 PM

311 posts, read 605,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Although originally I came from a big city, Moscow (10,000,000 +) I've found New-York to be extremely depressive, dark-colored and dirty. ( Well may be except for a few spots.) Very unsafe too, by the way.
Give me West Coast any time, be that Seattle or San Francisco. You can talk all you want about the "opportunities in New-York," but I'd never want to live in that city, because it would literally make me ill.
I see huge difference between big European cites and something like New-York; the way they are planned, the type of buildings, and even New-York subway makes me think about creepy Halloween movies, lol.
You must be a troll. I bet you never even been to NYC and don't know anything you talk about.

NYC is one of the safest large cities in the world and the U.S., come here are see plenty of cops on every single street. I feel safe 24/7 except very very few parts. Even Harlem which used to be ghetto improved a lot.

Yeah NYC is "extremely depressive and dark-colored and dirty".... Please don't come here again.
You must be a jealous troll.

Moscow is among the dirtiest cities I've been too, as well as extremely cold almost year-round along with drunk Russians where the life expectancy is very short.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
You must be a troll. I bet you never even been to NYC and don't know anything you talk about.

NYC is one of the safest large cities in the world and the U.S., come here are see plenty of cops on every single street. I feel safe 24/7 except very very few parts. Even Harlem which used to be ghetto improved a lot.

Yeah NYC is "extremely depressive and dark-colored and dirty".... Please don't come here again.

Moscow is among the dirtiest cities I've been too, as well as extremely cold almost year-round along with drunk Russians where the life expectancy is very short.
Just because you don't agree with someones opinion doesnt make them a troll.
Idk what part of Moscow you hung out in but i was right in central Moscow and saw nothing but beautiful architecture, beautiful women, very expensive cars and very comfortable weather.. lower 70s and partly cloudy. only thing i didnt like was parked cars on the sidwalks

Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,353 times
NYC is surprisingly safe for a country its size, and reflects the nationwide trend of lower crime rates.

I have no idea where people are getting this image of New York as some gritty, rough-and-tumble-yet-somehow-insanely-influential street thug in city form, but the city is no longer like that AT ALL. In fact, many New Yorkers (myself included) somewhat lament what NY has become. In a word, it's become boring, relying on what it WAS to supplement for what it IS. For all the dirt, grime, danger, etc. that New York had, it was FUN. At least you felt alive, that is, until someone caused your death.

That last sentence was only a joke...slightly.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post

Moscow is dirty all right in some areas, but it's definitely not depressive and dark-colored comparably to New-York

( So now what, when you are upset - are you planning to throw bunch of pixels at me?)

( And of course New-York didn't feel safe to me after Mid-West, or even Seattle.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World