Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 12:18 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

Also, I don't understand why people think U.S. cities are "dirty." Some parts of them are, like the ghettos (but there's no reason for most visitors to go there).

But usually where the tourists go and where the main visitor attractions are, the cities are pretty clean and well-kept.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,294,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I live in America and I've been to a few countries. What I noticed about other countries as opposed to America is that they are more cultured and more accepting. Europeans know like 3 different languages- Americans can barely speak English properly! Europe is very accepting of gay people... the US only now is starting to warm up to the idea of gay marriage and it is going to take a long time for all states to accept and allow it. Israel is 60 years old and it has already had a female prime minister. Only now, 236 years old, has America had a president who was not a white, protestant, male... and some people still cannot come to terms with it. Europeans are more family-centric. A lot of people in Italy get married and their wives move in with the husband's families. So many Americans are divorced- so many people here don't even speak to their parents. That is just awful! Americans work wayyy too much and we do not get paid time off to have babies. Yes our companies have to hold our jobs, but women do not get paid while we are on maternity leave. Paid maternity leave is the norm in most countries- except America. There are only 3 nations that do not offer this- and US is one of them. Norway gives women 44 days of paid time off for maternity leave. Canada is 50. Italy is 22. For a country that is so advanced and first world, America really lacks in this regard. A lot of Americans are fat too. Not to say I have never seen a fat person abroad, but most of the people are in shape and really take care of themselves- and they dress better too.

not one european country has ever had a black president or pm , its against the law in the uk for the prime minister or the monarch to be a catholic , the monarch in denmark must be a lutheran , im not calling either of those countrys intollerant but why is the usa held to a uniquely high standard

Old 06-16-2012, 12:36 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It depends on personal interest of course. But New York City is America's quintessential city. It is the largest, most urban and most developed and one of the oldest cities in America. It's the only city whose public transportation system is comparable to the level of those of top cities like London and Tokyo.

So, that's why as a general rule of thumb, I suggest people visit New York City. Of course, it can be overwhelming too for those who don't like huge megacities like that.
Although originally I came from a big city, Moscow (10,000,000 +) I've found New-York to be extremely depressive, dark-colored and dirty. ( Well may be except for a few spots.) Very unsafe too, by the way.
Give me West Coast any time, be that Seattle or San Francisco. You can talk all you want about the "opportunities in New-York," but I'd never want to live in that city, because it would literally make me ill.
I see huge difference between big European cites and something like New-York; the way they are planned, the type of buildings, and even New-York subway makes me think about creepy Halloween movies, lol.

Last edited by erasure; 06-16-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Also, I don't understand why people think U.S. cities are "dirty." Some parts of them are, like the ghettos (but there's no reason for most visitors to go there).

But usually where the tourists go and where the main visitor attractions are, the cities are pretty clean and well-kept.
have you been to NYC?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 PM

183 posts, read 601,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Although originally I came from a big city, Moscow (10,000,000 +) I've found New-York to be extremely depressive, dark-colored and dirty. ( Well may be except for a few spots.) Very unsafe too, by the way.
Give me West Coast any time, be that Seattle or San Francisco. You can talk all you want about the "opportunities in New-York," but I'd never want to live in that city, because it would literally make me ill.
I see huge difference between big European cites and something like New-York; they way they are planned, the type of buildings, and even New-York subway makes me think about creepy Halloween movies, lol.
Some areas of NYC are nice enough, reminding me a bit of San Francisco (such as Greenpoint, Brooklyn). Some areas couldn't be more ugly and run down looking. Unsafe compared to what? I think statistically you're more likely to encounter violent crime and theft in San Francisco than NYC right now (if the data is accurate).

US public transportation system is abysmal, not a problem unique to NYC. At least in NYC, you have fairly decent coverage, very few US cities do. SF is middle of the road. NYC trains and stations are ugly and look like they're decades behind, but you get used to them.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 PM

370 posts, read 654,679 times
D.C. and NYC are probably the one two places in the USA I could see myself living and settling down. I love international cities so when I lived in the mid-west for two years (Ohio to be specific) I was so depressed!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
have you been to NYC?
Yes, often. Most of the hotspots in Manhattan are pretty clean - like Times Square, Central Park, Upper East Side, Little Italy, Battery Park, Midtown, Downtown, etc. If you've been there recently, you'll see that. 20 years ago, not so much. It has been gentrified since then.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
Some areas of NYC are nice enough, reminding me a bit of San Francisco (such as Greenpoint, Brooklyn). Some areas couldn't be more ugly and run down looking. Unsafe compared to what? I think statistically you're more likely to encounter violent crime and theft in San Francisco than NYC right now (if the data is accurate).

US public transportation system is abysmal, not a problem unique to NYC. At least in NYC, you have fairly decent coverage, very few US cities do. SF is middle of the road. NYC trains and stations are ugly and look like they're decades behind, but you get used to them.
Also Moscow is actually more unsafe than NYC.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:03 PM

770 posts, read 1,178,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
have you been to NYC?
I have. I'm from NYC, and the good neighborhoods are clean. I haven't seen that much of the outer boroughs (except for The BX which is where I'm from), but Manhattan is very clean. NYC is not what it was years ago.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,226 times
Quote:
Yes, often. Most of the hotspots in Manhattan are pretty clean - like Times Square, Central Park, Upper East Side, Little Italy, Battery Park, Midtown, Downtown, etc. If you've been there recently, you'll see that. 20 years ago, not so much. It has been gentrified since then.
Midtown East is tidy, Midtown West not... yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World