Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 PM

459 posts, read 724,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would they know that they're living in a beautiful country if they can't afford to travel and see it? You're post makes absolutely no sense.
Well, in many places in the U.S., it's just a short drive to something beautiful. Even the poorest of our great citizenry can afford a drive to a beach, the mountain campgrounds, a national or state park or a monument.
California as an example: I've seen plenty of "poor" people at the beach, mountains or in the desert, relaxing and vacationing just fine. Generally, low-income citizens live more comfortably here than anywhere else in the world.

People are over-reacting to the initial statements of In God We Trust: America truly is a great land. One of the better if not best countries in the world because of the contributions of many and the people of elsewhere who migrated here and made it so. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's fairly close.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM

311 posts, read 605,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think we can safely say that people who dislike the US are definitely not jealous of it, especially if they're from Europe, they have no reason to be jealous.
Actually many Europeans are jealous of America and would LOVE to live here if they could have, especially after visiting Los Angeles/Orange County, Miami and NYC area.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
First of all there are MANY beautiful places in Iran and Venezuela. However you cannot compare America with those nations. An Islamic with Sharia Law and Communist country. Iran and Venezuela is the size of a mid-sized state in the US.
The whole premise of your OP is that the US, in comparison with other countries, is favorable. Then you say that is impossible to even make the comparison with any other country, for whatever reason you declare to be relevant, such as size or religion or political ideology. Exactly which countries in the world can the US be compared with, in order to arrive at your stirring superiority?

Iran has a larger population than France or UK, and Venezuela has more people than all Scandinavian countries put together, but you disqualify them from comparison because you see them as only the size of a mid-sized state, which right there proves that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and you personify the ignorance that you are trolling against.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 PM

183 posts, read 601,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Actually I was born in Europe and traveled nearly all over the continent. I've also been to several Asian and South American countries, as well as Oceania. Not a single country offers what the U.S. does.
Yes, if you're well off, and it sounds like you are, the US is hard to beat. You can afford a nice place, plenty of space, maybe in California if you like that weather, near/on a beach, etc. Hard to compete with that in much of Europe.

Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people are well off in the US, more struggle, work their ass off to survive or work their ass looking for work that can't be found. Other countries have their own problems, yes, but it's tough being poor in America compared to other highly developed countries (not developing countries), and more people, by percent, are poor in the US than many of those other highly developed countries due to grossly imbalanced income distribution.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Probably for exactly the same reason that many U.S. participants on C-D constantly slag other nations around the world, even though they have never lived in these places or been there.

You seem to have missed the fact that these types are spread evenly around the world, and America is not a special victim of this kind of non-thinking on C-D forums.

As an American living in Europe, I would say that Europeans get a horrendous impression about the U.S. from media such as Fox News and the statements of U.S. conservative politicians who present a picture of an American nation in the sewer; when, as you point out, it most certainly is not. Thus, I think you need to reprove these sources for seriously misrepresenting the greatness of the U.S., which you have eloquently summarized.
I find it funny that you think Conservatives and like news sources give the wrong impression of America. They give the impression of a nation as it is, as it is meant to be. Liberals are too busy trying to better themselves and look nice for others (European countries) all the time to care about the people.

I don't slag other nations unless they deserve it. For instance, I love America and I always want to live here. But England and Ireland are awesome. Germany's cool. Greece is nice. Even Albania probably has its highlights. They all have problems, so do we. Don't ACT like they're not there.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM

311 posts, read 605,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
Yes, if you're well off, and it sounds like you are, the US is hard to beat. You can afford a nice place, plenty of space, maybe in California if you like that weather, near/on a beach, etc. Hard to compete with that in much of Europe.

Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people are well off in the US, more struggle, work their ass off to survive or work their ass looking for work that can't be found. Other countries have their own problems, yes, but it's tough being poor in America compared to other highly developed countries (not developing countries), and more people, by percent, are poor in the US than many of those other highly developed countries due to grossly imbalanced income distribution.
The main reason why some Americans struggle is because they don't want to sell their 3-4 cars they have in their household, they don't want to sell their big house into smaller one, they don't want to save money, etc. unlike how Europeans typically live.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyking32 View Post
You say that like it is a bad thing. The U.S. would be a much greater nation if it had that characteristic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
A recent study revealed more than 40% of Americans believe the creation story..
Don't turn it into a religious debate. Keep that elsewhere.

Just a little note to you guys, though: I'm not sure where liberals get off on the idea that they can be so much more superior to others while they themselves proclaim that all are equal. The U.S. was NOT founded to be atheistic. It is also not suitable to be overly THEISTIC. As a nation, it is about the middle, or should be.

But it's that offending, arrogant tone and superior, condescending speech that makes Americans not like you.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
The U.S. was NOT founded to be atheistic. It is also not suitable to be overly THEISTIC. As a nation, it is about the middle, or should be.
The U.S. was founded on freedom of religion, as it is clearly stated in our Constitution.

That's all there really is to say about it.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
Outsider's view of American not so good aspects -

1 your political system
2 your treatment of your poor
3 your gun laws and acceptance of violence
4 the dp
5 the bible bashing hypocrisy re. the above
6 your blind belief your country is faultless

Apart from all that....it's great!

Now I'm gonna sit back and watch numbers 1-5 shredded to bits, while everyone ignores no 6. Irony!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The U.S. was founded on freedom of religion, as it is clearly stated in our Constitution.

That's all there really is to say about it.
Not sure if you're agreeing with me....

Basically, freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM it, as some dimwits believe. I don't suppose people are religious here simply for the joy of being bashed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World