Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
D.C looks clean.. but I prefer Boston; it has a European street layout.
I consider D.C. to be a hybrid of European and American, especially with the architecture. It is a different continent of course, so you still have to do something unique after all. :-) He is another area, Georgetown. It's the oldest part of the city (dating back to colonial Maryland) and probably the closest to the European look:

http://goo.gl/maps/OYRs

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Yeah, D.C does have a European feel to it because of the architecture. The roads are obviously a lot wider. Looking at D.C on Google, there are a few buildings that look like modern Scandinavian architecture to me.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And we'll kill people to force that "freedom" on them.
The US isn't that free, don't buy the hype.

And you found a junkie to use as the poster child to sing the US national anthem.
Ok, that's pretty fitting.

I suspect you're trying to figure out if I really trust in what I posted, of course I believe in it, it is all written in detail on the history books.

l have been in U.S.A in my 20's nowaday l'm 47 but still continue to dream me and my motorbike on the 66 route or riding from S.Francisco to L.A.

if this is only a dream ( as you say ) plz madam .........let us dream........do not broke our dream

as regards Whitney we know she just because was a very good singer, her personal life-things do not belong to us

Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Having lived in Western Europe for 30 years and now in North America, I can say that financially theres no contest, I have way more money here and can afford more things.
If quality of life means material quality of life US is ahead, if you mean other things (family, ...), its more subjective.
No kidding.

Whether or not the U.S. has a higher quality of life than any particular Western European country is a matter of subjective preferences. But in terms of buying "stuff", the average income in the United States is higher than most European countries, and prices of consumer goods are lower, sometimes far lower. Some examples from amazon.com and amazon.de:

Lumix DMC-LX5 Digital Camera

US: $379.00
DE: $506.09 (EUR 399)

Kindle Touch 3G

US: $149.00
DE: $239.73 (EUR 189)

Hunger Games book

US: $5.39
DE: $8.88 (EUR 7)

Not to mention houses, land, cars, gas, etc...the U.S. is probably the country where the most consumer goods are available to the broadest segment of the population.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
No kidding.
Whether or not the U.S. has a higher quality of life than any particular Western European country is a matter of subjective preferences. But in terms of buying "stuff", the average income in the United States is higher than most European countries, and prices of consumer goods are lower, sometimes far lower.
The problem is the average disposable income. When you subtract the stuff that is financed through taxes in most of Europe, such as health care etc, American average income is no longer as high.

In terms of quality of life, it should be noted that there is far less income difference to start off with if you consider income per hour worked. Many factors of quality of life are indeed subjective, but I would go out on a limb and say that some tend to be less subjective than others. Such as access to health care when you need it, and having more time of your own. Or the opportunity to start a family.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:11 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
North American roads are wider than European. That's why I said the size is a matter too for part of quality of life and beauty of a place.

You're welcome to visit America

Yeah, Americans in general are very friendly and polite.
Yes, bigger is always better:

Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 AM

459 posts, read 724,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
What are you talking about. That sounds to me like you are saying that American parents care about their children more then European parents which is bull****. Have you ever thought that maybe its because your country is pretty dangerous with serial killer running around and people with guns almost everywhere.
Have you ever thought of ending your questions properly? I imagine not. It does seem very likely that American parents (for whatever reason) are more caring/doting for their children than European parents. Everyone has so much more freedom to do anything from a young age there. Kids drinking wine at 6 and other socially odd and somewhat stupid things.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
North American roads are wider than European. That's why I said the size is a matter too for part of quality of life and beauty of a place.

You're welcome to visit America
Yes, bigger is always better:

Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 AM

459 posts, read 724,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I live in America and I've been to a few countries. What I noticed about other countries as opposed to America is that they are more cultured and more accepting. Europeans know like 3 different languages- Americans can barely speak English properly! Europe is very accepting of gay people... the US only now is starting to warm up to the idea of gay marriage and it is going to take a long time for all states to accept and allow it. Israel is 60 years old and it has already had a female prime minister. Only now, 236 years old, has America had a president who was not a white, protestant, male... and some people still cannot come to terms with it. Europeans are more family-centric. A lot of people in Italy get married and their wives move in with the husband's families. So many Americans are divorced- so many people here don't even speak to their parents. That is just awful! Americans work wayyy too much and we do not get paid time off to have babies. Yes our companies have to hold our jobs, but women do not get paid while we are on maternity leave. Paid maternity leave is the norm in most countries- except America. There are only 3 nations that do not offer this- and US is one of them. Norway gives women 44 days of paid time off for maternity leave. Canada is 50. Italy is 22. For a country that is so advanced and first world, America really lacks in this regard. A lot of Americans are fat too. Not to say I have never seen a fat person abroad, but most of the people are in shape and really take care of themselves- and they dress better too.
Hold up there, buddy boy. One wrong accusation at a time! Please!

1. Culture--You guys can't even use that anymore. Our American culture is worldwide. Anyone who says otherwise or believes something else is crazily deluded. Whoever said we contribute nothing to the world is WRONG.

2. Language--Consider that we needn't know three languages. We are not surrounded by multitudes of countries; just two others, really. One of them speaks English for the most part. Okay, so cool you know 3 languages. Want a plaque or something? This is notwithstanding that many Americans, immigrants or otherwise, know another language. Many people know at least two.

3. Acceptance--America is very conservative, especially in social mores. I don't see what's wrong with our stance. Let the liberals enjoy themselves and promote equality for all--EXCEPT White Christians. Right? What we feel about gay marriage is our business and we cannot be looked at as retarded children. We CAN be seen as people with a more complex society that allows everyone to have an opinion, so long as it does not interfere with life, liberty, etc.

4. Modern Leaders: For the longest time, most Euro-countries have only had leaders that were part of the majority of their population. I don't see why it was wrong with us. Besides, Israel is a bad example; being relatively new, it grew up with contemporary ideas and had a strong respect for all citizens (Arab or Jew) and thus they are as the pioneers were: more accepting of everyone that did their part.

5. Family--America is truly family-oriented. American suburbs are the downright obvious evidence of that mentality: designed for the family to be away from the gritty city. Europeans tend to have just as gritty cities, yet they allow their children freedom from a young age to do as they please and go almost anywhere. Just 'cause we have a little restraint means we're not oriented for family? Ha!

6. Work--We have a regular work-schedule. A 40-hour workweek. If that's too much for you, go back to the "football" game.

7. Obesity--Low blow, there. For roughly a third of Americans, only. It's not like fat was invented in America. And the dressing better? Really? That can of worms?

Quote:
The city of Los Angeles has some public transportation, like buses.
But if you need to go to surrounding cities then you need a car.
Transportation has improved vastly in the space of a few years. Don't discount it these days.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 AM

52 posts, read 188,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
Kids drinking wine at 6 and other socially odd and somewhat stupid things.
Wine? You must have that one wrong. It's vodka, actually. But they only do that when they're not busy smoking crack. Or having sex, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World