Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,069,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Hunting if anything taught me about respecting animals and ensuring that they do not suffer. It also taught me a valuable lesson about never killing for pleasure, and despising those who do. It taught me about Nature, animal husbandry and the environment which surrounds us and how to treasure it. I really resent someone likening hunting as a child to one of the worst serial killer of all times.
In Joe's case it's not hunting, but simple killing. Hunting, the real one, is almost a ritual, with lots of respect for animal lives.

Quote:
Compared to the rest of Europe , Russia still seems quite behind when it comes to mandated animal rights....
Russia as a state is a peace of...

Quote:
Being a vegetarian in Russia is actually not that easy and not that well understood in my experience for example...
Actually, there are many vegetarians, and they've got absolutely no problems being that. Why would they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,640,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
In Joe's case it's not hunting, but simple killing. Hunting, the real one, is almost a ritual, with lots of respect for animal lives.

Actually, there are many vegetarians, and they've got absolutely no problems being that. Why would they?
I am quite sure there are more and more vegetarians in big cities but my personal experience of Russia is one where a meatless diet was not that easy to sustain unless you cooked it yourself. A friend of mine who is vegetarian had some serious difficulties making people understand even the concept of being a non meat eater especially in the countryside. And if you are a vegan life is going to get even more difficult...

Vegetarian in Moscow - how to survive abroad

I travelled from St Petersburg to Yakutsk , went to Irkutsk and and though I am sure there now vegetarian restaurants in St Petersburg and Moscow I think trying to be a veggie in the Russian countryside would be tall order. Even Provincial cities I would assume would still have vegetarian restaurants far and few between and the exception rather than the rule. I would not like my chances of being a veggie in Siberia...

Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I am quite sure there are more and more vegetarians in big cities but my personal experience of Russia is one where a meatless diet was not that easy to sustain unless you cooked it yourself.
As a matter of fact, it's a lot easier for most Russians to be vegetarians than eating meat - simply because meat it's pricey.

Quote:
A friend of mine who is vegetarian had some serious difficulties making people understand even the concept of being a non meat eater especially in the countryside.
That's Russian mentality - it shouldn't be viewed as hostility.

Quote:
I am sure there now vegetarian restaurants in St Petersburg and Moscow I think trying to be a veggie in the Russian countryside would be tall order. Even Provincial cities I would assume would still have vegetarian restaurants far and few between and the exception rather than the rule. I would not like my chances of being a veggie in Siberia...
Any restaurant has some veggie dishes, even the likes of McD. Even wildgame restaurants in Primorye (not the center of the universe ) carry quite a few veggie dishes, aside from lots of fish and seafood.

Lack of specialized veggie restaurants can only bother some fanatics, I believe.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,705,301 times
Quote:

Don't get too spiritual about it. I shoot animals on my property that do (serious) damage. Conservation is another big issue. All of the animals mentioned are introduced to this country (bats are the only native mammals) and do serious harm to the environment. It's not a ritual ( better to keep religion out of it imo) and there is respect. I don't know why you don't think there isn't respect, although your comical departure into serial killers indicates the path of your logic.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Don't get too spiritual about it. I shoot animals on my property that do (serious) damage.
It's not about you, but your kids.

Quote:
your comical departure into serial killers indicates the path of your logic.
It was to highlight the problem in "I consider myself normal".

Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,705,301 times
Quote:
It's not about you, but your kids.

It was to highlight the problem in "I consider myself normal".
The kids make up their own minds. two do, one doesn't, it's not a big deal.

Point taken about about normal. You could be sexually abusing children (for example), and no one would be any the wiser from your online persona. I tend to take people at face value, perhaps naively.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The kids make up their own minds. two do, one doesn't, it's not a big deal.
You are funny

Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM

85 posts, read 179,383 times
A new bill was just proposed in The Netherlands that will outlaw all sport hunting. Hunting does not seem as ingrained in European culture as it is in American, with the exception of some countries.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:43 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,433,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've heard many times that hunting in Europe was primarily associated with the bourgeois or nobility, and mainly for sport rather than food. Therefore less people in most EU countries hunt, and many or most find it repulsive that some people take pleasure in killing animals, which they evidently think hunting is all about.
In my opinion that's a British phenomenon, which has a lot to do with the concentration of rural property and the subsequent exile of homeless former small famers to the cities. That's why when you say the countryside in Britain you're basically talking about the rural rich.

Last edited by Perfect Stranger; 08-24-2012 at 04:59 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,433,426 times
Quote:
For a start I cannot believe how many people in the UK think hunting is a terrible crime. Most people don't even understandthe concept and I am constantly given terrible looks for daring to say I love rabbit or deer. Nobody would bat an eyelid in France, even urban France. Most British people are quite happy to eat factory farming meat but hunting is seen as cruel which I find utterly bizarre.
If you asked the average Briton "Shall I shoot this child or this animal? It's your choice" I bet a lot of people would reply "The child! Shoot the child!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World