Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM

545 posts, read 866,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkai View Post
Ok, so I'm a bit curious about what US States are most similar to single European countries, as there is a thread comparing US/Europe cities. Preferably, American countries can be included, even Asian countries as well. It can be either culturally, economically, linguistically or historically. For example:

UK - North Dakota - Brazil - Indonesia (I know these ones aren't similar, though this is the idea)

So go ahead and find similarities and equivalents.
I already love this thread. The OP asks about cultural, economical, linguistical or historical comparisons.. And everyone answer with geography

Delaware - Luxembourg - Singapore - Botswana - Marshall Islands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 AM

227 posts, read 438,026 times
I have always thought that New Mexico is a cool mix between Mexico and UK.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 AM

354 posts, read 682,195 times
Sweden - Minnesota - Ontario - Hokkaido

Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 PM

622 posts, read 949,679 times
Illinois/Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky and Germany (mostly flat land and farms in the north, mountains in the south)

Wisconsin/Michigan and Denmark

Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
What about Maryland?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:22 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkai View Post
Ok, so I'm a bit curious about what US States are most similar to single European countries, as there is a thread comparing US/Europe cities. Preferably, American countries can be included, even Asian countries as well. It can be either culturally, economically, linguistically or historically. For example:

UK - North Dakota - Brazil - Indonesia (I know these ones aren't similar, though this is the idea)

So go ahead and find similarities and equivalents.
The UK is absolutely nothing like North Dakota.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:14 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
The UK is absolutely nothing like North Dakota.
The UK is more like Massachusetts, Maine or Vermont, if anything.

California has the geography of Western Australia.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,621 times
Climatic equivalents, you might say.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Minnesota - Sweden/Finland
Definitely. Similar biome, "thestate of 10,000 lakes", spot on similar population with Finland, large Lutheran contigent, low pop density, 15% of Minnesotans have Swedish or Finnish ancestry, Hockey state, walleye the state fish (its close European relative zander is a delicacy here, and is the state fish of the most populous region Uusimaa in Finland)... it all fits, right?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
I did a comparison of California and Chile on another thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/ameri...-american.html

Quote:
So, there is another thread on here that asks what Latin American country is most like the United States/American. Which proves to be a very difficult question to answer as the U.S. is a huge place (geographically and population wise), with lots of cultural variation from region to region.

I say let us take things down a notch and compare U.S. States individually to their respective kindred souls in Latin America.

I will go first:

California and Chile
Why? They both have strong wine cultures, rugged mountains, hug the Pacific, extreme landscapes (we have Death Valley + Yosemite; Chile has the Andes + Tierra de Fuego), relatively well educated populaces . Also, I think, of all of Latin America Chile is probably the most innovative (as California is in the states) and attracting the most tech investment. Not to mention that they both also attract a lot of immigrant talent (Chile more recently), whether skilled or unskilled. Due to our geography, both California and Chile have felt relatively isolated from the rest of their respective regions.

Some major differences: Chile lacks California's diversity, and California with 38 million (as opposed to Chile's 17 million) is much more heavily populated. Also, Chile just really has Santiago as a global city, California has San Francisco and Los Angeles - some could make an argument for San Diego. California's GDP is in the 2 TRILLIONS and Chile's, at around 268 billion, is 1/8th of that. As for culture, Chile just doesn't have the influence in Latin America that California has in the U.S./the world when it comes to music, media, film and television.

All in all, Chile is like California's younger brother/sister.
In Europe, I would think Spain or Italy would be a natural fit, but both of them lack the innovative/creative enterprise currently in Chile and California and a few other things. In Africa, I would say South Africa is the closest to an equivalent to Chile and California. Can't think of a place in Asia. In Oceania, West Coast of Australia + New Zealand, but can't comment much on the culture or ethos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World