Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
The most successful at what? Also, last I heard Russia, China, all European countries were never ex British.

You are getting a bit carried away.
at Olympic medals I mean (and standard of living). The only other two that ever win anything in the Olympic games are china and Russia but that is due to extreme usage of steroids and PCP (also opium in china's case)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 02:33 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
well I did convince you on the matter of Germany adopting English as their official language. If you remember, I had the last word
You DO know that people sometimes let someone to have the *last word* for OTHER reasons than *becoming convinced,* right?

Old 08-15-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
????

All ex British countries are by far the most successful in the world. Canada, Australia, the US, Hong Kong, central Africa, etc.
So how Hong Kong is doing in Olympics in terms of medal counts?

Old 08-15-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You DO know that people sometimes let someone to have the *last word* for OTHER reasons than *becoming convinced,* right?
I rebutted all your counter arguments twice over. It is fine if you still believe what you want to believe but I did win being as you had nothing else to say.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
So how Hong Kong is doing in Olympics in terms of medal counts?
The Chinese government has interests in in HK under performing due to recent democracy protests. I don't blame them or anything, but they were under funded on purpose

Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
at Olympic medals I mean (and standard of living). The only other two that ever win anything in the Olympic games are china and Russia but that is due to extreme usage of steroids and PCP (also opium in china's case)
Russia is nowhere what it used to be back in Soviet times, when it really dominated the Olympic Games ( the Winter ones in particular,) and it has nothing to do with "usage of steroids."
It's just back in Soviet times they've had a much bigger pool of children to choose from, as far as "Olympic material" goes. The state was sponsoring the child upbringing in general, and all the sport programs in the past, comparably to what's going on now.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Russia is nowhere what it used to be back in Soviet times, when it really dominated the Olympic Games ( the Winter ones in particular,) and it has nothing to do with "usage of steroids."
It's just back in Soviet times they've had a much bigger pool of children to choose from, as far as "Olympic material" goes. The state was sponsoring the child upbringing in general, and so all the sport programs in the past, comparably to what's going on now.
I'll admit that Russians have a natural talent for winter sports, but under the soviet union when they were doing good in Summer Olympics doping played a major part in their success.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I rebutted all your counter arguments twice over. It is fine if you still believe what you want to believe but I did win being as you had nothing else to say.
It's not that I have "nothing to say," it's just I thought it was inappropriate to bring my arguments into the "language" thread. Plus I don't always have time ( or interest) to argue these matters in depth.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'll admit that Russians have a natural talent for winter sports,
So there you go - the "natural talents" are the key words, as much as other abilities/inclinations.
You are already half-way there, in understanding why different nations are well... different in terms of many aspects and shouldn't be easily mixed.

Quote:
but under the soviet union when they were doing good in Summer Olympics doping played a major part in their success.
They were disqualified lately for this particular reason; if they were all drugged in the past as you imply, they would have been all disqualified long time ago.
Truth of the matter is, Russians are competitive and good in sports period, when given proper opportunities.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
So there you go - the "natural talents" are the key words, as much as other abilities/inclinations.
You are already half-way there, in understanding why different nations are well... different in terms of many aspects and shouldn't be easily mixed.

They were disqualified lately for this particular reason; if they were all drugged in the past as you imply, they would have been all disqualified long time ago.
Truth of the matter is, Russians are competitive and good in sports period, when given proper opportunities.
Top half is pure nonsense, countries are all the same, they differentiate for childish reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World