Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times

Advertisements

Canadian friend pointed out in Vancouver that if you see a man wearing pastel-colored polo with khaki and deck shoes, he was likely an American

Also Americans often do not travel solo (you hear before u see 'em), and will be around others in their clan with their "Bama" shirts & hats in the middle of a London High Street or in front of the Paris Eiffel Tower.

Last edited by f1000; 07-14-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Yes, if they wear oversized t-shirts and khaki pants.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Interesting... What other world accents are easily confused with American?
Canadians are constantly mistaken for Americans when travelling. Apparently we are insecure and have inferiority complexes if we correct them.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Canadian friend pointed out in Vancouver that if you see a man wearing pastel-colored polo with khaki and deck shoes, he was likely an American

Also Americans often do not travel solo (you hear before u see 'em), and will be around others in their clan with their "Bama" shirts & hats in the middle of a London High Street or in front of the Paris Eiffel Tower.
Don't forget the haircut.

Americans do travel solo, at least to Vancouver. Lots of couples as well come up for the weekend. Many Americans used to travel solo to Europe as a right of passage, I'm sure some still do.

Groups of anyone are just more noticeable. Louder, pushier etc.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I think we might get a different type of American tourist down in these parts. The loud, Hawaiian shirted guy with a camera around his neck, just doesn't happen here imo.

The American tourist here, typically seems to be well dressed, not loud, friendly and polite, and much more likely to be traveling alone, or in couples.

Even cruise ship Americans don't really live up to traditional stereotypes.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:50 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think we might get a different type of American tourist down in these parts. The loud, Hawaiian shirted guy with a camera around his neck, just doesn't happen here imo.

The American tourist here, typically seems to be well dressed, not loud, friendly and polite, and much more likely to be traveling alone, or in couples.

That's similar to what I see in the Caribbean as well. When I'm in the Caribbean the general consensus that I hear is, is that Europeans are the most annoying, and the worst tippers and cheap as well.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

My guess, because NZ is far afield for North Americans, that you are getting seasoned travellers.

Europe and Canada are more mainstream, and Canada is the first foreign country for a lot of Americans. That's why we get the good stories LOL

Don't get me wrong, we also get the seasoned travellers, plus the Americans that live in Seattle that come up as much as we visit them. Weekend trips etc. These tourists really don't stand out.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-16-2017 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 02:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
Americans get an unfair wrap about weight, I remember going to Orlando a few years ago, the usual Disney trip ( loved it), and there were a lot of obese Americans ( did manage to hear them all talk), one fat girl was riding a scooter that had a special drink container on the handle bars that allowed her to suck the coke while racing along, in fact saw a few of those.
But I wanted to see more of Florida and so we drove to Daytona Beach, and as I jogged to the beach with my pale Brit body, hairy chest and red/white legs was shocked to see everyone was slim. I had to put the T shirt back on. Obeseness must be a regional thing in the US.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Americans get an unfair wrap about weight, I remember going to Orlando a few years ago, the usual Disney trip ( loved it), and there were a lot of obese Americans ( did manage to hear them all talk), one fat girl was riding a scooter that had a special drink container on the handle bars that allowed her to suck the coke while racing along, in fact saw a few of those.
But I wanted to see more of Florida and so we drove to Daytona Beach, and as I jogged to the beach with my pale Brit body, hairy chest and red/white legs was shocked to see everyone was slim. I had to put the T shirt back on. Obeseness must be a regional thing in the US.
It has to do with lifestyle and income. Poor people buy cheaper foods that are full of sugar and fat.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:51 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
Years ago if you were fat you were probably wealthy, and had gout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World