Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You do know that the rest of the free world is laughing at your post right now.
No they aren't; they are petrified on how they can compete for businesses/capital. GOP Tax Cuts Forcing Other Countries to Compete | National Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 PM

4,400 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am glad someone agrees with me! Australia is as close to paradise on Earth as you can get. The distance and isolation are actually a bonus to me
IDK some of the stuff I've heard about Australia's government has me concerned. Banning everything and taxing everything like crazy? F that. I put NZ ahead of it because it has a more libertarian mindset, also the weather in north island is pretty similar to Sydney.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
IDK some of the stuff I've heard about Australia's government has me concerned. Banning everything and taxing everything like crazy? F that. I put NZ ahead of it because it has a more libertarian mindset, also the weather in north island is pretty similar to Sydney.
Government revenue as a proportion of GPD in Australia is actually a little lower than the US, and is a lot lower than NZ. I've found Kiwis to be more PC that Aussies by a fair margin.

edit: Looks like its now a little more than the US: https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=REV

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 01-11-2018 at 12:22 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Government revenue as a proportion of GPD in Australia is actually a little lower than the US, and is a lot lower than NZ. I've found Kiwis to be more PC that Aussies by a fair margin.
It depends, and some areas in Australia are more PC than others. Plus there are people from New Zealand that are very anti PC out there. Overall there is not much difference between Australia and New Zealand.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
What are they banning that has you concerned? As with the above, our overall tax rates are about middle of the OECD and that gives us our healthcare and non contributory welfare net.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
When I visited Australia, I never felt like I was really curtailed in any way or had to do without in terms of access to products. I like the Aussie directness in the way they express themselves. It is refreshing to me.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:33 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
No they aren't; they are petrified on how they can compete for businesses/capital. GOP Tax Cuts Forcing Other Countries to Compete | National Review
Yes, we do.
You bring up defense and the freedom to bear arms as two important things to make your country the best.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
No way, US is the best place to live in the world bar none. Why?

-Freedom(Freedom of speech, freedom to bear arms, privacy and private property rights)
-Most expendable income in combination with low cost of living(never mentioned but huge factor in quality of life)
-OPTIONS(if you want a more socialized environment you can live in California or New York, if you want more individualized you can live in Texas or Florida)
-Defense(no one in their right mind would ever attack our mainland)
The US is a nice place but your so called 'freedom to bear arms' is just about the most negative aspect of US culture - nowhere in the whole world want's the ridiculously awful 'gun culture' that the US has! That is NOT something to shout about, and most definitely not something to be proud of!
Your point about defence is mute too because there are many countries that are never going to be attacked, this isn't the year 1812 you know.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The US is a nice place but your so called 'freedom to bear arms' is just about the most negative aspect of US culture - nowhere in the whole world want's the ridiculously awful 'gun culture' that the US has!
Believe it or not, most people living in America don't feel that we have a ridiculously awful gun culture. People simply avoid going to specific areas of cities that have a high rate of violent crime. Anyone with sense knows where those areas are located.

Doing that takes care of the risk of getting shot almost completely.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 AM

4,400 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post

edit: Looks like its now a little more than the US: https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=REV
How are people from NZ PC? My issue with Australia is they seem to censor a lot of media related content. I'm not sure they've found a good balance of capitalism either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World