Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 04:57 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post

I would rather live in Milan. I wouldn’t be able to cope with the layout of Venecia and the mass tourism.
Valencia, not Venice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post

Bridgetown, Barbados vs. Sapporo, Japan
Bridgetown. Whilst I admire Japan I couldn't do Sapporo due to isolation and climate. I like Barbados its not so well connected either but there are cheap seasonals from the UK & Germany and Jet Blue flies to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 05:28 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Sapporo. My heart is torn because Bridgetown has a much better climate. Sapporo is simply too prone to extreme weather (like 240 inches of snow per year). Bridgetown has no natural disasters--Barbados is very rarely affected by hurricanes. But Sapporo has better infrastructure, healthcare, and economy (though not great, either).

Tel Aviv vs. Dubai
Tel Aviv. Both Dubai and Tel Aviv are modern and have the amenities I want, but I'd imagine that I would have a better chance being able to venture off and see more worldly historical sites in Tel Aviv vs. Dubai.

Baghdad, Iraq vs. Tehran, Iran

Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 PM

613 posts, read 328,528 times
Tehran, Persian culture fascinates me

Singapore vs Hong Kong

Old 04-22-2020, 02:59 PM

76 posts, read 38,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Tel Aviv. Both Dubai and Tel Aviv are modern and have the amenities I want, but I'd imagine that I would have a better chance being able to venture off and see more worldly historical sites in Tel Aviv vs. Dubai.

Baghdad, Iraq vs. Tehran, Iran
Tehran, despite what the media says Tehran is actually relatively a safe destination whereas Baghdad is certainly not safe. Iran is a beautiful too and not a war zone (at least not in Tehran).

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Tehran, Persian culture fascinates me

Singapore vs Hong Kong
Singapore, I prefer warm weather and Hong Kong is having those issues China at the moment so their future seems uncertain. If HK wasn't having those problems I might lean towards living there.

Santiago, Chile vs. Istanbul, Turkey

Old 04-22-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post
Tehran, despite what the media says Tehran is actually relatively a safe destination whereas Baghdad is certainly not safe. Iran is a beautiful too and not a war zone (at least not in Tehran).

Singapore, I prefer warm weather and Hong Kong is having those issues China at the moment so their future seems uncertain. If HK wasn't having those problems I might lean towards living there.

Santiago, Chile vs. Istanbul, Turkey
I agree. Tehran is beautiful, as is much of Iran. And I don't let politics dictate where I travel, though Iran is off limits for me due to safety reasons (I am military and would probably be arrested as a "spy" if I was to ever visit the country).

Santiago, Chile. I've done Istanbul. While absolutely beautiful, I didn't care for Turkish food and was not treated very well by all in the city (issues of racism).

Oxford, United Kingdom vs. Rabat, Morocco?

Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times
Quote:
I agree. Tehran is beautiful, as is much of Iran. And I don't let politics dictate where I travel, though Iran is off limits for me due to safety reasons (I am military and would probably be arrested as a "spy" if I was to ever visit the country).

Santiago, Chile. I've done Istanbul. While absolutely beautiful, I didn't care for Turkish food and was not treated very well by all in the city (issues of racism).

Oxford, United Kingdom vs. Rabat, Morocco?
I've heard this a lot recently. Especially emanating from Turkish women or slightly elderly people, not so much the younger men.

Oxford for me, great little city with cycling culture that appeals to me. I'm also a lifelong learner so its academic prowess is especially appealing.

Asunción, Paraguay vs Minsk, Belorussia

Old 04-23-2020, 01:36 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I've heard this a lot recently. Especially emanating from Turkish women or slightly elderly people, not so much the younger men.

Oxford for me, great little city with cycling culture that appeals to me. I'm also a lifelong learner so its academic prowess is especially appealing.

Asunción, Paraguay vs Minsk, Belorussia
Haven’t been to either, but I’d probably go for Asuncion due to its location.

Mumbai, India vs Shanghai, China

Old 04-23-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Haven’t been to either, but I’d probably go for Asuncion due to its location.

Mumbai, India vs Shanghai, China
Mumbai. Granted, I've only been to Mumbai out of the two, but I have been to mainland China (Beijing). I thoroughly enjoyed India (and Mumbai was a real culinary treat) way more than China.

Accra, Ghana or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia?

Old 04-23-2020, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 941 times
hi there.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:52 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times
Quote:
Mumbai. Granted, I've only been to Mumbai out of the two, but I have been to mainland China (Beijing). I thoroughly enjoyed India (and Mumbai was a real culinary treat) way more than China.

Accra, Ghana or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia?
Tough one. While I'd probably be more interested in Ethiopian culture than Ghanaian culture, it seems like Ghana is the slightly more stable one. I'll take Accra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post

Singapore vs Hong Kong
Great one. I choose Singapore. Less crowded, even safer than Hong Kong, cleaner, newer, better-planned, better-maintained, less traffic, less pollution, more politically stable, no typhoons, cheaper, wealthier, better economy, friendlier people, better food, better museums, more historical architecture, and better K-12 to university education. And my parents are from Hong Kong, so I've been there 7 times.

Singapore also has a better future than Hong Kong because Singapore has much better English. Hong Kong's English standards have declined, and it's hard to get around using only English sometimes. I actually have to use my Chinese reading skills. In Singapore I could get around entirely in English. Like it or not English, not Mandarin, is the language of the world and of the future.

Now Singapore has conscription and HK doesn't, but I'd serve a couple years if that meant freedom from Xi Jinping's tyranny over Hong Kong. And if you're a woman you won't be conscripted anyways. I wish Hong Kong the best

If you said "which would you rather visit" then I might choose Hong Kong, though I've been to both and love both.

I know, people are going to say that Singapore is the world's most expensive city (because the Economist said so), but IMO the Economist's list of most expensive cities is garbage. They even said Toronto and Seattle were cheaper than Houston....WTH?

And why did they say Singapore was the world's most expensive city? They said it was because Singapore is the world's most expensive place to own a CAR! But you do NOT need a car in Singapore!

And then they go on to say that Singapore has cheaper groceries than many major world cities like NYC...uh, isn't that what I care about? Singapore's real estate is also cheaper than NYC, not to mention Hong Kong.

Singapore vs. Taipei
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World