Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM

570 posts, read 509,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Woo, that's a tough one and one that contrasts really strongly.

I think Lhasa for me though the city is a bit small, but I think I'd be more amenable to the climate and cuisine.

I'll give a bit of the context for the next one. These are two capital cities of fairly peaceful, democratic countries with metropolitan areas of similar size, but in very different cultural contexts and regions.

Helsinki, Finland or San José, Costa Rica
San Jose! Warm weather and sunshine

Lyon, France or Montreal, Quebec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 11:06 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
San Jose! Warm weather and sunshine

Lyon, France or Montreal, Quebec
Lyon for the warmer weather. Montreal is tempting, though, as I can actually buy a big North American style suburban house there. I couldn't help laughing when while in Montreal they were selling Ford pickups in French on TV! Because there's nothing more French than driving a Ford pickup! Oh well, Anglo Canada's suburban lifestyle has spilled over into Montreal.

Canberra, ACT or Irvine, California?

Before you decide, let me say this:

1. Irvine's violent crime rate is lower than Singapore. I doubt Canberra is dramatically safer than Singapore.
2. Irvine is located in one of the most, if not the most, left wing states in America. Hillary beat Trump 2-1 in Irvine. Before you think all of America is a religious, conservative, gun-loving, gas-guzzling hell hole compared to beautiful, left wing Australia, let me tell you that Irvine (and Gavin Newsome's California) is politically worlds apart from the Trump administration and 90% of America.
3. Irvine is 45% Asian (full Asian), and growing. That's not including the enormous Middle Eastern (Persian, Israeli, and Arab) population, which the U.S. considers as "white." Irvine has tons of authentic Chinese and Korean food, its population is 17% Chinese (full Chinese). If you add mixed-Asian people the percentages would be even larger.
4. Irvine is very upscale and entirely master-planned. Irvine was planned and purpose built from scratch for a public institution, just like Canberra. Except the public institution in Irvine's case wasn't the national government, it was for a new state university, UCI.
5. Irvine has TONS of high-tech, finance, and pharmaceutical companies' offices. You can easily find a high paying job under 15 minutes from your house.
6. 40% of Irvine is permanently preserved as wilderness and parks. Lots of hiking and mountain biking trails in the mountains of Irvine.
7. Every major road in Irvine has bike lanes. On top of that, you have many off-street, grade-separated urban bike trails, connecting many parks.
8. And of course, Irvine is only 45 minutes away from Los Angeles, 20 minutes away from Disneyland, and smack in the middle of all the goodies of Los Angeles. Irvine also features a Mediterranean climate similar to Adelaide, South Australia.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:54 AM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Lyon for the warmer weather. Montreal is tempting, though, as I can actually buy a big North American style suburban house there. I couldn't help laughing when while in Montreal they were selling Ford pickups in French on TV! Because there's nothing more French than driving a Ford pickup! Oh well, Anglo Canada's suburban lifestyle has spilled over into Montreal.

Canberra, ACT or Irvine, California?

Before you decide, let me say this:

1. Irvine's violent crime rate is lower than Singapore. I doubt Canberra is dramatically safer than Singapore.
2. Irvine is located in one of the most, if not the most, left wing states in America. Hillary beat Trump 2-1 in Irvine. Before you think all of America is a religious, conservative, gun-loving, gas-guzzling hell hole compared to beautiful, left wing Australia, let me tell you that Irvine (and Gavin Newsome's California) is politically worlds apart from the Trump administration and 90% of America.
3. Irvine is 45% Asian (full Asian), and growing. That's not including the enormous Middle Eastern (Persian, Israeli, and Arab) population, which the U.S. considers as "white." Irvine has tons of authentic Chinese and Korean food, its population is 17% Chinese (full Chinese). If you add mixed-Asian people the percentages would be even larger.
4. Irvine is very upscale and entirely master-planned. Irvine was planned and purpose built from scratch for a public institution, just like Canberra. Except the public institution in Irvine's case wasn't the national government, it was for a new state university, UCI.
5. Irvine has TONS of high-tech, finance, and pharmaceutical companies' offices. You can easily find a high paying job under 15 minutes from your house.
6. 40% of Irvine is permanently preserved as wilderness and parks. Lots of hiking and mountain biking trails in the mountains of Irvine.
7. Every major road in Irvine has bike lanes. On top of that, you have many off-street, grade-separated urban bike trails, connecting many parks.
8. And of course, Irvine is only 45 minutes away from Los Angeles, 20 minutes away from Disneyland, and smack in the middle of all the goodies of Los Angeles. Irvine also features a Mediterranean climate similar to Adelaide, South Australia.
Canberra. Canberra at least has a couple of neighborhoods that are strongly pedestrian-oriented and do not require driving and I prize that above many other factors. It’s also home to the Australian government, various institutions funded by such along with major universities so there’s interesting work to be found there. There’s also the odd bit of monumental planning that Canberra as a planned national capital has which is somewhat interesting. The best thing about Irvine is that there are more interesting places nearby, ones that I would choose over Irvine, but since it’s about living specifically in Irvine, then it’s simply not an attractive choice for me.

Kuwait City or Singapore

Kuwait is supposedly quite open and liberal compared to the other Gulf Coast countries and Singapore has famously strict laws though that’s sometimes exaggerated. Both have had issues with neighboring countries and both effectively function as city-states with Kuwait surrounded by sea and sand rather than just sea. Both have high standards of living and incomes for their citizens and wealthy skilled expatriate populations, but less so for some of their migrant worker populations.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-18-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 12:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,388,394 times
Quote:
Canberra easily. Canberra at least has a couple of neighborhoods that are strongly pedestrian-oriented and do not require driving whatsoever and I prize that above most other factors. It’s also home to the Australian government, various institutions funded by such along with major universities so there’s interesting work to be found there. There’s also the odd bit of monumental planning that Canberra as a planned national capital has which is somewhat interesting. The best thing about Irvine is that there are more interesting places nearby, ones that I would choose over Irvine, but since it’s about living specifically in Irvine, then it’s simply not an attractive choice for me.

Kuwait City or Singapore

Kuwait is supposedly quite open and liberal compared to the other Gulf Coast countries and Singapore has famously strict laws though that’s sometimes exaggerated. Both have had issues with neighboring countries and both effectively function as city-states with Kuwait surrounded by sea and sand rather than just sea. Both have high standards of living and incomes for their citizens and wealthy skilled expatriate populations, but less so for some of their migrant worker populations.

Singapore. Singapore has better climate and it is also culturally more diverse and attractive (Arabic culture seems to me to be somewhat predictably monotonous and therefore a bit boring).

Dar es -Salaam, Tanzania vs Mombasa, Kenya?

Old 04-18-2020, 12:28 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,968,753 times
Quote:
Canberra. Canberra at least has a couple of neighborhoods that are strongly pedestrian-oriented and do not require driving and I prize that above many other factors. It’s also home to the Australian government, various institutions funded by such along with major universities so there’s interesting work to be found there. There’s also the odd bit of monumental planning that Canberra as a planned national capital has which is somewhat interesting. The best thing about Irvine is that there are more interesting places nearby, ones that I would choose over Irvine, but since it’s about living specifically in Irvine, then it’s simply not an attractive choice for me.

Kuwait City or Singapore

Singapore. Better climate, not as extreme in terms of heat. I'd think Singapore is more westernized and liberal than Kuwait. Also, as a Chinese American, Singapore has better Chinese food and culture. Singapore's also a lot more walkable and transit-friendly than Kuwait City.

OK, OyCrumbler, you said Canberra was better than Irvine.

Now, how about Markham, Ontario, vs. Irvine? I consider Markham to be the Irvine of Canada.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:01 PM

37,162 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Singapore. Better climate, not as extreme in terms of heat. I'd think Singapore is more westernized and liberal than Kuwait. Also, as a Chinese American, Singapore has better Chinese food and culture. Singapore's also a lot more walkable and transit-friendly than Kuwait City.

OK, OyCrumbler, you said Canberra was better than Irvine.

Now, how about Markham, Ontario, vs. Irvine? I consider Markham to be the Irvine of Canada.
Yo, that's not how the game is played. You're supposed to answer the previous poster but you've instead screwed up the rotation to talk more about Irvine. Try to be more considerate.

The next comparison is the one below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Singapore. Singapore has better climate and it is also culturally more diverse and attractive (Arabic culture seems to me to be somewhat predictably monotonous and therefore a bit boring).

Dar es -Salaam, Tanzania vs Mombasa, Kenya?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-18-2020 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-18-2020, 09:19 PM

20 posts, read 11,017 times
Quote:
Yo, that's not how the game is played. You're supposed to answer the previous poster but you've instead screwed up the rotation to talk more about Irvine. Try to be more considerate.

The next comparison is the one below.
To answer the comparison directly above, Dar es Salaam because it's a bigger city with more culture (to my preference) and it's closer to Zanzibar, another city famous for its culture.

Panama City, Panama or Cali, Colombia?

Old 04-18-2020, 09:24 PM

76 posts, read 38,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorasmoothy View Post
To answer the comparison directly above, Dar es Salaam because it's a bigger city with more culture (to my preference) and it's closer to Zanzibar, another city famous for its culture.

Panama City, Panama or Cali, Colombia?
Panama City: Much safer and resort like. I've been to Colombia (not Cali) and Cali is kind of the Detroit of Colombia lol.

Omaha, Nebraska, USA vs. Heraklion, Crete, Greece

Old 04-18-2020, 09:42 PM

20 posts, read 11,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post
Panama City: Much safer and resort like. I've been to Colombia (not Cali) and Cali is kind of the Detroit of Colombia lol.

Heraklion, Crete. Again, a bigger city with more culture. Also more walkable with more to see.

Seville, Andalusia or Málaga, Andalusia?

Old 04-19-2020, 01:04 AM

570 posts, read 509,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicSon View Post

Hmm, Cali is nothing like Detroit. It’s warm with very friendly people, beautiful green areas and farms, nightlife is great, public transport is not that bad, location is interesting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World