Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think America is the greatest country in the world?
Yes 38 38.00%
No 62 62.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
That "separatist movement" is old news. I remember hearing about it as an elementary school kid back in the 70s.

There's also a separatist movement in WA-OR-CA. How imminent do you think West Coast separation is?
Did you even watch the news report? PM Trudeau is aware of the issues.

The underlying issue is the same for most cession issues... taxation with limited or under representation. It's the cry of the taxpayers. The western US is different... urban elites want to impose their value system on the rest of the nation and if they don't follow suit, they want to take the ball and go home. It's not the tax payers with issues, they're leaving for Texas and other points east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 08:40 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
LOL no I do not. Never has been and never will be as I don't believe in any non sense like "greatest xxxx"

This country has so many issues and problems I am beginning to wonder if it was a huge flawed experiment to begin with. Handing so much power to tiny states with less population than my city is wrong and flawed.

The founders should have went with a parliamentary system and never bothered with wasteful state govts.

County govt and fed govt as Hamilton wanted should have been it. Then way more national policies instead of the anarchy of 50 different little sovereign republics.

Time to break it up and start over with smaller regionally based countries. Too big and unwieldy at this point to even function. Far too polarized regionally with red states constantly at odds with blue states. It is a total mess here.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
LOL no I do not. Never has been and never will be as I don't believe in any non sense like "greatest xxxx"

This country has so many issues and problems I am beginning to wonder if it was a huge flawed experiment to begin with. Handing so much power to tiny states with less population than my city is wrong and flawed.

The founders should have went with a parliamentary system and never bothered with wasteful state govts.

County govt and fed govt as Hamilton wanted should have been it. Then way more national policies instead of the anarchy of 50 different little sovereign republics.

Time to break it up and start over with smaller regionally based countries. Too big and unwieldy at this point to even function. Far too polarized regionally with red states constantly at odds with blue states. It is a total mess here.
Thank God your just a poster without any authority. Clearly you are not a student of history.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:59 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Thank God your just a poster without any authority. Clearly you are not a student of history.

I know the history well enough of the compromises made to create the Fed System we have. I think as time goes on people are starting to realize it isn't working anymore. We simply cannot agree on anything. Can you imagine something as simple and necessary as rationing of goods during WW2. I can already picture the states talking about freedom and you can't tell me what to do.

What is wrong with having say 5 or 6 smaller more cohesive nations with a strong national govt instead of 50 squabbling republics that no longer agree on anything even as simple as wearing a mask during a global pandemic?

Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Did you even watch the news report? PM Trudeau is aware of the issues.

The underlying issue is the same for most cession issues... taxation with limited or under representation. It's the cry of the taxpayers. The western US is different... urban elites want to impose their value system on the rest of the nation and if they don't follow suit, they want to take the ball and go home. It's not the tax payers with issues, they're leaving for Texas and other points east.
What you think the reasons are for the existence of a Pacific Coast separatist movement doesn't matter. The fact is, there IS a movement to separate, and, as you can see, people in other parts of the country want to separate, as well. Actually, I read separatist sentiment among Americans fairly often on CD.

Alberta separation? Meh. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:47 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Haven't lived there, but there is an active separation movement in the western provinces.
Why? ... political divide.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/wexit-ho...tion-1.4651085

Care to comment?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

I can see Puerto Rico being the first successful separatist movement. Within Canada, I'd think that Quebec, then Newfoundland and Labour, and then Nunavut would have far better chances of happening within our lifetimes. Alberta separatism is going to have a really tough time because it's had and continues to have very limited support within Alberta itself, is still Anglo-Canada for the most part and pretty centrally located so the larger Canadian government would be pretty against it, and their tar sand money isn't going to stretch very far since it necessarily requires high oil prices to be profitable--meanwhile, there's a chance the world head's heavily towards electrification whether via batteries or fuel cells. The worst thing about the tar sand money is that Alberta has banked very little of it into sovereign wealth funds the way that many other places have and I've come across estimates for environmental cleanup that are even larger than the Alberta sovereign wealth fund. The complete decimation of oil prices in 2020 probably puts a huge damper on any calls for independence, because much of it was about trying to keep more of extraction wealth within the states, and is much more nakedly a ploy to have the funding equalization scheme reworked than an actual call for separation. That's all been obliterated now by the vast drop in oil prices that are unlikely to get back to levels that make tar sands lucrative for a while or possibly ever. Your article was from late 2019 and even then it amounted to very little as it's the same posturing on equalization payments as it was for a long while, and now it's a whole new era in oil prices.

Besides, Alberta's supposedly conservative politics are still in many ways much more aligned with what many in the US would consider left-wing politics. Nationalized healthcare, strong gun control laws, equalized funding for public schools, very cheap public universities which are also generally the more prestigious ones compared to private universities, abortion rights, separation of church and state, strong anti-discrimination employment laws, strong public sector, vast investments in mass transit and urban design that facilitates less car usage and drive urbanization (Calgary and Edmonton both have incredibly large mass transit systems for cities of their size compared to US cities as well as a massive proportion of the province's population), and generally pretty eco-friendly policies and support of science even within an oil state. It's also not just that there are parties within Alberta that are trying to push towards these things--it's actually policies that they already have had in effect for a long while and they are not really contentious issues.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-01-2020 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-01-2020, 11:23 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Lol, no one argued that those are causes for a country to be "superior" and that being your takeaway makes it pretty evident that you don't know much.
I know that the price tags for consumer items, gasoline and similar-sized houses are usually higher in most other developed countries compared to the United States. This seems to be especially true of the countries that are said to offer a higher quality of life.

So are taxes.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:50 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I know that the price tags for consumer items, gasoline and similar-sized houses are usually higher in most other developed countries compared to the United States. This seems to be especially true of the countries that are said to offer a higher quality of life.

So are taxes.
Things like healthcare costs, childcare costs and higher education costs are oftentimes much lower while ability to get around without incurring the costs of vehicle ownership is often quite better in other developed countries. Meanwhile, though homes may be smaller on average in most other developed countries, home ownership rates and homelessness rates don't seem to correlate with median home size or median costs per sq ft among developed countries. There are even small things like better school lunches in terms of taste and nutritional value and arguably better food standards in general. There are a lot of trade-offs and yet your strawman was that the below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, there are people on this forum who keep arguing that smaller living spaces, smaller cars and more public transportation make other countries superior to the United States.

So, what do I know?
Pretty goshdarn silly! I guess you don't know much then if that's what you think other people are saying

Old 07-01-2020, 11:54 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
This is simply not true. Most Americans go undected here in Canada and could easily pass themselves off as Canadian. Unless they have some strong regional accent. It is also not true that all people from Ontario could go undetected in the US.
Some can, most can't and it's not just accents. It's lack of knowing some basic things about Canada that usually gives them away.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Getting way off base.

My point was about opportunities (to me), is what makes a nation great, since it's the individual who is the engine of greatness. Canada and the US are two such nations who offer a vast array of opportunities... and that was my GREATER point about the similar nature of our two nations.

Cession is always about dissatisfaction with centralized governance. Real cession is taxpayer driven, not by anarchists or elites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World