Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think America is the greatest country in the world?
Yes 38 38.00%
No 62 62.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 02:25 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

The US of A is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 02:45 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whino View Post
I would say that China is the greatest country, simply for the fact that they have a 5,000 year old history and civilization, the largest population, the largest army (not that that necessarily constitutes greatness), cuisine which is known in virtually every other country, products and consumer goods used worldwide, and philosophies with universal truths.

Long story short: Japan.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:16 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whino View Post
I would say that China is the greatest country, simply for the fact that they have a 5,000 year old history and civilization, the largest population, the largest army (not that that necessarily constitutes greatness), cuisine which is known in virtually every other country, products and consumer goods used worldwide, and philosophies with universal truths.
China is an ancient country, and has lots of unique and interesting history and philosophy, however the Chinese are currently not that great in terms of democracy and freedom, and they have even forced people out of rural areas and in to vast polluted cities.

As for the cheap consumer goods, they can be produced in most economies where labour is cheap and Vietnam, Indonesia, India etc are also increasingly producing such goods.

I don't see what is going on in China and Hong Kong as being that great, and then you have the disgusting medieval type wet markets and the fact that recent pandemics have all been associated with China.

Then you have Human Rights issues and problems with Chinese hacking which have caused a further rift with the west in relation to Huawei, and there are numerous other such issues such as the manipulation of currency and China's claim to Taiwan as well as disputes with Japan etc.

There is a lot that is not that great about Modern China and it's ruling totalitarian Government.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:46 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Long story short: Japan.
Japan is the best country to live in. That's also one country where people are not emigrating to the US in droves. The Japanese population in the US has been dwindling, which is unfortunate.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:31 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
But, but, but...all those Canadians are -- brace yourself; I'm gonna use the "L" word --- liberals!!!

They're pinko commies trying to impose their leftist agenda on the the good people of America! Don't you know how dangerous they are?
I going with... this is sarcasm. Go to Alberta, it's not very liberal at all.

The political divide is usually associated with urban and rural in both the US and Canada.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:42 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I going with... this is sarcasm. Go to Alberta, it's not very liberal at all.

The political divide is usually associated with urban and rural in both the US and Canada.
Have you ever lived in Canada? As a born-and-bred Canadian, I can assure you that Alberta is absolutely liberal by American standards. All those ranchers and oil industry executives won't give up their universal healthcare for all the oil in Saudi Arabia, and they wouldn't want US gun laws.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Japan is the best country to live in. That's also one country where people are not emigrating to the US in droves. The Japanese population in the US has been dwindling, which is unfortunate.
I would love to live in Japan for a few years. If the opportunity arose, I'd go in a NY minute.

Agree with the bolded. I'm a part time ESL instructor, and one of my students, a lovely woman from Japan with whom I developed a friendship, just returned to Tokyo a couple of weeks ago. She seems to really like the US (she has family in CA and NYC and has travelled the US quite a bit), but I'm not sure she'd be willing to leave Japan permanently.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-01-2020 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-01-2020, 07:46 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Haven't lived there, but there is an active separation movement in the western provinces.
Why? ... political divide.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/wexit-ho...tion-1.4651085

Care to comment?

Old 07-01-2020, 07:48 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
So, you agree with what I stated in post #9?

Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Haven't lived there, but there is an active separation movement in the western provinces.
Why? ... political divide.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/wexit-ho...tion-1.4651085
That "separatist movement" is old news. I remember hearing about it as an elementary school kid back in the 70s.

There's also a separatist movement in WA-OR-CA. How imminent do you think West Coast separation is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World