Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM

140 posts, read 562,906 times

Advertisements

Anti-Americanism has spread through Europe like wildfire.

Visit YouTube and just search anti-americanism.

Astounding.

Only about 23% of the Spanish (Spain) have a favorable opinion of the US
Only about 39% of the French have a favorable opinion of the US
Only about 56% of the Brits have a favorable opinion of the US

There is one hour long segment on YouTube, at Princeton University, I didn't watch the whole thing, but I got my polling information there. I knew that there was SOME Anti-US attitudes in Europe, I just didn't know it was this widespread.

A Poll in Germany conducted in 2007 shows that due to negative American media in the country, Germans had a more favorable opinion, by far, of IRAN than of the United States.

Also, I noticed in the polling that American support numbers FELL significantly from 2004-2005. Hmm. George W. Bush's second term couldn't have been the cause?

If I could find the link to that hour-long segment I would gladly provide it. If you are interested and astounded like I was, do some investigating on YouTube.

So, I am anxious to hear from Europeans and Americans alike. Europeans, I want you, especially, to be honest.

Your thoughts?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Well I'm not European but please don't equate anti american sentiment with current US government policies to people being anti american.

There is much dislike here in Australia for your current government and its politics, along with a dislike of our own recently ousted government for their continued support of the current US administration, but as a general feeling I think that does not extend to the people themselves.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 PM

140 posts, read 562,906 times
Moonshadow: Good point, just try and YouTube it, you'd be astounded.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,427 times
Thumbs down Wah...Wah...Wah

I am a citizen of the US, an American they say, and I want to apologize to the world for being #1 all the time; for bearing the burden of all the less fortunate in the world, for having my tax money spent to keep unappreciative people in food and clothes, for having my fellow countrymen in uniform protecting ungrateful heathens instead of being home with their own families; who are you to speak poorly about our government and our leaders...if I want to talk about him that's fine; he's my president and this is my country but keep your traps closed...you have no right. If no one likes it why don't they step up and tote the load for a while. The media tries to show things that stir up others against the US to give them something to report...think for yourselves people; think what you would have if the US pulled out of everything and cut off funding to the world...don't listen to the media over here, they are in the news because they can't do anything else...they are no value citizens..don't be like them. The common man over here is tired of taking care of everyone else...and we are the government...we decide...remember that

Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Europeans are civilized enough to distinguish the difference of disliking US policies and its citizens. Sure there are few boneheads around but that's a very small %
Keep in mind we have muscled the world around for many years and have done wrong in many parts of this earth. We don't just care of people if there is no payback and we are no angels even though we like to think that we are
And no we are not taking care of everyone else contrary to popular beliefs. We don't even take care of ourselves lately. Our government is way out of hand as it is well known and not looking after its own citizens!
So, yes its not nice for someone to act against us, but I can also see where they are coming from.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Antiamericanism I think is plain stupid, it's for morons.
Although I'm French, sometimes I feel more American than French, having had the
luck to live in the US in my salad days.
It doesn't mean that as a world citizen I'm not able to criticize some US policies as I would some French policies, as the US-French so-called "humanitarian" bombing of Serbia in 1999.
I felt Serbian then, and I was ashamed of both French and US policies towards that country.
And although I 'am not a "bleeding-heart Liberal", I think the US is unfortunately in a quagmire in Irak.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
I am a citizen of the US, an American they say, and I want to apologize to the world for being #1 all the time; for bearing the burden of all the less fortunate in the world, for having my tax money spent to keep unappreciative people in food and clothes, for having my fellow countrymen in uniform protecting ungrateful heathens instead of being home with their own families; who are you to speak poorly about our government and our leaders...if I want to talk about him that's fine; he's my president and this is my country but keep your traps closed...you have no right. If no one likes it why don't they step up and tote the load for a while. The media tries to show things that stir up others against the US to give them something to report...think for yourselves people; think what you would have if the US pulled out of everything and cut off funding to the world...don't listen to the media over here, they are in the news because they can't do anything else...they are no value citizens..don't be like them. The common man over here is tired of taking care of everyone else...and we are the government...we decide...remember that
Not being funny or anything but it's this kind of over-inflated self opinion that actually creates a negative view of Americans in other parts of the western world, even in people who might otherwise tend to like America and it's people.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,304 times
I believe that the anti-americanism is not a fault of US citizens, but its government ( I mean Bush especially). I met few Americans in my life and I can tell you, that they are the friendliest people I ever met. Some of them are really smart. My lector graduated MIT and I just couldn't believe how smart she was. I really like the US - they are friendly, nice, inventors, dog lovers etc. I little bit don't like them because of one thing - ruining our planet, because some of them are strongly habituated on their 6.2 liters. This is really bad four the planet (I'm not Greenpeace member, however I support it). However, overall I 99% like them as a nation...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
I'm darn proud of that blue U.S. passport I have in my pocket. Proud enough to have served in it's military. And I've been both proud and ashamed of our foreign policy at different times. I've also traveled a good bit of the world. And have had the joy of seeing the U.S. as others see us. I'm at once proud, humbled and embarrased when I talk to others about the U.S. As Moonshadow says, the vast majority of foreigners DO seperate our foreign policy and leaders from our people and culture. Something our sometimes-biased media fails to point out. And "freedom of speech" is actually enjoyed in many other nations BESIDES the United States...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
Attitudes like yours are why the rest of the world doesn't like us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World