Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Do I not, well the gun crime statistics are sure proof enough, and prove that in the US there are more gun murders per capita than anywhere in western Europe.. and per 100,000 inhabitants, there are also far more murders.. about 100x more in fact. But no, guns don't kill people!
Yes, there are more murders, however, there are plenty of guns in European countries, and yet those countries have a much lower gun murder death rate. Finland has a very high gun ownership rate, yet a fraction of the gun deaths the US has. In the US, there are areas that have extremely low gun death rates, yet very high gun ownership rates.

The murder issue in the US is a cultural issue, not a gun issue. As it stands now, murders have been on a decline for decades from their highs, yet there are more guns than ever in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In my books, living in fear of your gov't is not living in freedom.
As was said in "V for Vendetta":

"People should not fear their governments. Governments should fear their people."

With that being said, I've always interpreted it as "Governments of free countries know that they can be voted out, so they keep their policies close to, if not in line with, popular opinion." I've never understood it to mean, "Governments of free countries live in fear of an armed citizenry rising against them, so they keep their policies close to, if not in line with, popular opinion."

Look at the free countries of the world: the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, France, Germany, Japan, and so on. Regardless of the form of government (republican, constitutional monarchy, whatever), they all offer voters a choice on the ballot. Now look at the non-free countries (some of which no longer exist): the USSR, East Germany, North Korea, Cuba, the Albania of Enver Hoxha, the Romania of Nicolai Ceaucescu--no matter how much they resembled republics or parliaments, they were one-party states, one name on the ballot, no choice in government. Their governments could be tyrannical--not because the populace was unarmed, but because the government could not be voted out.

I'd suggest that strong constitutions that demand democracy, rule of law, and choices in government define a free country.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Indeed my friend. I would say most Americans are very distrustful of the Government especially here in the Midwest and Middle America in general. The Second Amedment or the right to keep and bear arms has a much deeper meaning than being able to buy a gun. It has a lot to do with resistance against a potential tyrannical Government.

Many people believe that what keeps the US Government from ever becoming a tyranny is the fact that there are over 200 million legal guns in the hands of citizens and over 1000 Anti-Government militias.
BWAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh my God this is hilarious!!! LOL Let me get this straight, there are actually people in this country who believe that citizens having guns is enough to scare a government that has fought every type of war complete today with drones, aircraft carriers, fighter jets, tanks, guided missiles, heavy artillery and warships??? Surely you have to be kidding right? Where's the punchline?

Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,580 times
Definitely not the Nordic countries, prostitution is mostly illegal there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
In 2009, the countries where press was the most free were Finland, Norway, Ireland, Sweden and Denmark (found this on Wikipedia). I am sure that these are also the countries of the most freedom for religion.

Also, see this map:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Reporters_Without_Borders_2008_Press_Freedom_ Rankings_Map.svg]File:Reporters Without Borders 2008 Press Freedom Rankings Map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
BWAHAHAHA!!!!! Oh my God this is hilarious!!! LOL Let me get this straight, there are actually people in this country who believe that citizens having guns is enough to scare a government that has fought every type of war complete today with drones, aircraft carriers, fighter jets, tanks, guided missiles, heavy artillery and warships??? Surely you have to be kidding right? Where's the punchline?
The Government is not going to declare a war on its own people. If the US Government ever tried something like this, the Military would turn against the Commander In Chief. I know several people in the Marines, the US Air Force and most soldiers hate O'Bama because he is a pansy Liberal.

We have more people here in the USA with military training and access to guns than any other country in the world, so the Government would be very stupid to fight a war against its people if it ever does. We have over 1000 Anti-Government militias and they have been growing out of control since Barry O'Bummer took over.

In European countries and other countries with no gun rights, there would be 0 resistance. That is why all these Commie and Far Left Wing Governments always promote disarming the population, it is the the first step towards tyranny.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-25-2014 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Exactly! I am just not sure why so many feel the need for guns..

Oh well, they will never accept that a country without guns will be safer! I am happy living here knowing that I go on the street and I will probably never see a gun
Country without guns will be safer? OMG! Do you think criminals would have no access to guns if the US decided to ban guns?

Detroit is the perfect example of a place that is becoming safer because gun ownership is being encouraged by its police chief, James Craig

"Detroit has experienced 37 percent fewer robberies than it did last year, and Police Chief James Craig is crediting armed citizens for the drop"

If anybody tried to break into my home, they would be greeted with a 9mm, so basically you would have to be very stupid to break into a home in the USA nowadays.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:16 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
We have more people here in the USA with military training and access to guns than any other country in the world, so the Government would be very stupid to fight a war against its people if it ever does. We have over 1000 Anti-Government militias and they have been growing out of control since Barry O'Bummer took over.
Actually, the US's military is surprisingly small for such a big country and only very few people have military training. Pretty much all countries with mandatory military service have a higher percentage of people with military training. Count in those that got rid of it only a couple of years ago.

That said, recent events in Ferguson should be an eye-opener for all those that propose liberal gun laws in order to keep the government at bay. A bunch of people sparsely armed with Glocks face a police in APCs. The National Guard was called upon to help impair freedom of speech even further.
By any means, that are scenes we usually see in Iran, China or Russia.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yes, there are more murders, however, there are plenty of guns in European countries, and yet those countries have a much lower gun murder death rate. Finland has a very high gun ownership rate, yet a fraction of the gun deaths the US has. In the US, there are areas that have extremely low gun death rates, yet very high gun ownership rates.

The murder issue in the US is a cultural issue, not a gun issue. As it stands now, murders have been on a decline for decades from their highs, yet there are more guns than ever in the US.
Actually, the figures were heavily exaggerated in the 2007 study, which claimed some 2.4 million guns. The police has destroyed some 400,000 small arms in the last years, and in the registry there's 1.6 million guns (2013), and this figure drops every year. This mantra that Finland would have massive amounts of firearms is such a popular mantra that even we believe that.

Anyway, the gun culture is very different here than it is in the US. You can't have a loaded pistol on your nightstand and shoot home invaders here. In the 90's and 00's there has been on average 19 gun-related murders a year.

The vast majority of guns are hunting rifles, and it's quite normal for a hunter to have like 5 rifles, so usually these guns are not distributed videly, like 1 person 1 gun. I don't know a single person who owns a firearm.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Do I not, well the gun crime statistics are sure proof enough, and prove that in the US there are more gun murders per capita than anywhere in western Europe.. and per 100,000 inhabitants, there are also far more murders.. about 100x more in fact. But no, guns don't kill people!
Oh no no that isnt what you said

you said right to own a gun for protection often leads to innocent citizens getting killed.

that is false, there is an estimated 200 million registered guns in America if most of those guns lead to innocent citizens getting killed we would have a crazy high murder rate and a population of about 100 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Some Americans are in denial. They want to believe everything is fine because it hasn't effected them….yet.

Ask the parents of mass school shootings, or victims who have survived. They will tell you a different story, most likely.
In denial that we are not all out on the streets killing each other? yes i guess so.

sorry when i see non-Americans attempt to talk about American culture like they know what they are talking about (when they obviously don't) i feel the need to correct them.

Quote:
Exactly! I am just not sure why so many feel the need for guns..

Oh well, they will never accept that a country without guns will be safer! I am happy living here knowing that I go on the street and I will probably never see a gun
Why do you care? you think i sit here and worry about what kind of stuff goes on in the UK? no i honestly don't care what goes on over there, so why do so many people complain about us even when they don't even live here? not saying you shouldn't complain about us but i am just curious...

Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

You hear this argument a lot, especially in regards to Switzerland. What is missing is the breakdown of the type of guns and how the guns must be stored.
In Finland over 60 percent of guns are hunting rifles. The others are strictly regulated in regards to storage of the weapon and ammunition.

Also gun laws in other countries tend to be national and not a patchwork of like in the US. You hear gun advocates bash gun control laws in places where gun violence has occurred as evidence that gun control doesn't work, while totally ignoring the fact that moving guns through different jurisdictions in the US is easy from state to state etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World