Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 02:51 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times

Advertisements

Back to automotive and language woes:
Doe's that mean a have a bad battry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 07:20 AM

Uncle with New Variarts?

Old 04-27-2021, 07:36 AM

4,242 posts, read 948,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
I don't think we're envious of children nowadays having it to easy. We're just worried, the planet is going to be left in the hand's of dumber people less smartphone's, less tablet's more analog experience may do the trick...
I'm just wondering -- how do people learn to use apostrophe's to make word's plural?

Maybe the same way people learn to use seemingly random quotation "mark's" for "emphasis."

Old 04-27-2021, 11:56 AM

2,906 posts, read 996,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I'm just wondering -- how do people learn to use apostrophe's to make word's plural?

Maybe the same way people learn to use seemingly random quotation "mark's" for "emphasis."
If you ever figure it out, please let me know? I am always baffled by the seemingly random usage of apostrophes some people utilize. One word ending in "s" will have an apostrophe, while another won't, and it seems so unfair.

There is a sign in my neighborhood for a church and they have the word, "welcome" in quotation marks and I read it as sarcasm. I just can't help but picture the minister being snarky at the door, "Oh, you're here. Greeeeeaaaat. Welcome. Whateverrr."

Old 04-27-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I think it's a matter of NOT learning--or perhaps more correctly, not paying attention when they were in school.

I know that there are lots of folks who like to attribute this type of misusage to "modern schools", but that opinion doesn't help to explain the folks whom I know--in their 60s, 70s, and 80s--who seem to be clueless regarding the difference between plurals and possessives, who use "there" in place of "they're or "their", and who think that "a lot" is one non-word, namely "alot".

We have always had people who did not pay proper attention when they were students, but their inability to communicate correctly in their native language was mostly hidden--until the advent of internet blogs and forums. And, this lack of learning isn't limited to language skills. Back in the '70s, my brother repeatedly tried to teach one of his middle-aged sales clerks how to calculate a 10% discount by simply moving the decimal point. After about 40 minutes of attempted instruction, his employee was just as clueless as she had been before he began, and he simply gave up.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
if you ever figure it out, please let me know? I am always baffled by the seemingly random usage of apostrophes some people utilize. One word ending in "s" will have an apostrophe, while another won't, and it seems so unfair. :d

there is a sign in my neighborhood for a church and they have the word, "welcome" in quotation marks and i read it as sarcasm. I just can't help but picture the minister being snarky at the door, "oh, you're here. Greeeeeaaaat. Welcome. Whateverrr."

Old 04-27-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think it's a matter of NOT learning--or perhaps more correctly, not paying attention when they were in school.

I know that there are lots of folks who like to attribute this type of misusage to "modern schools", but that opinion doesn't help to explain the folks whom I know--in their 60s, 70s, and 80s--who seem to be clueless regarding the difference between plurals and possessives, who use "there" in place of "they're or "their", and who think that "a lot" is one non-word, namely "alot".

We have always had people who did not pay proper attention when they were students, but their inability to communicate correctly in their native language was mostly hidden--until the advent of internet blogs and forums. And, this lack of learning isn't limited to language skills. Back in the '70s, my brother repeatedly tried to teach one of his middle-aged sales clerks how to calculate a 10% discount by simply moving the decimal point. After about 40 minutes of attempted instruction, his employee was just as clueless as she had been before he began, and he simply gave up.

Great points, Retriever

Old 04-27-2021, 02:47 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
And most seem mystified by the ellipsis...
Some use it as decoration "Welcome! Take off your...shoes!" (The suspense! What will they ask me to remove?)

Some seem to think it's like a period plus spaces "You should do it...It's important...I always like when someone does it..."

Sometimes they use MORE dots for emphasis "I like dogs.Dogs are great..Everybody should have a dog..."

Old 04-27-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
And most seem mystified by the ellipsis.
In the NJ forum, we have a semi-regular poster who expresses the ellipsis with a series of commas.
'tis a mystery

Old 04-27-2021, 07:02 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In the NJ forum, we have a semi-regular poster who expresses the ellipsis with a series of commas.
'tis a mystery

Do they use the commas where a ellipsis belongs? I've seen several commas used instead of a period,,,What are they thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing