Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,028,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
3. I hate the word "Ya'll." It resonates within me as something absurd, horrid, and downright detrimental to my eardrums.

I agree. I can't stand that or any other southern twang. I cannot understand why it is so hard to actually pronounciate the entire word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 5,717 times
When someone say "be careful driving" as if I am going to go out and purposely be reckless. Seems like they are sending out negative Karma with this statement.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,506,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpeters View Post
When someone say "be careful driving" as if I am going to go out and purposely be reckless. Seems like they are sending out negative Karma with this statement.
I don't understand this reasoning at all on your part. The road is loaded with airheaded real estate agents, teens, illegal aliens, indecisive elders, predatory cops and macho Cletuses. Many are talking on their cell phones. Some are texting on their i-whatevers or e-whatevers. Many are eating and some are painting their faces. Some are driving vehicles whose brakes might fail. Some have no idea what to do next; some know exactly what to do next and will do it no matter what, assuming others will slow down and avoid them. Some have no reaction time; some have too much reaction time and behave as if they just caught their wives with mouths full in the wrong way shortly after their hourly steroid injections. Some are seeking a reason to issue you as many $200 tickets as possible, in a system that has made police almost a form of mafia, putting out the squeeze.

In short, the reality of humanity awaits you on the road in all its selfish, ignorant, bullying glory. You really should be careful. Far as I'm concerned, telling someone to be careful driving is excellent carma. The only nicer thing I could wish them would be, as the old Zoom-Schwartz-Profigliano song went, a solid gold nugget and a piece of Moderator cut: language.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-14-2009 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Use appropriate language please.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,375,532 times
The one that drives me crazy is "I was wondering....?" As in "I was wondering if I could get in to see the doctor." You aren't "wondering".. You'd like to find out, you'd like to know, you need to know, you'd like to schedule an appointment - pick one. You aren't just sitting there when a random thought enters your head to call the doctor for an appointment. That's what wondering is. It makes a person sound really lame and tentative.

Last edited by sayulita; 08-14-2009 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,797,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I agree. I can't stand that or any other southern twang. I cannot understand why it is so hard to actually pronounciate the entire word.
Welcome to my own personal Hell. I have a southern accent, but I still try to put forth the effort to use the appropriate words and pronounce them correctly. I'll make a list of the lesser-known words and phrases for those who don't know "hick":

Words:
1. Dest = Desk
2. Munt = Month
3. Ast = Ask
4. Liberry = Library
5. Spilt = Spilled
6. Skoo = School
7. Roh = Roll
8. Gohdin = Golden
9: Worsh = Wash
10: Pooh = Pool

Phrases:
1. Have you eat? = Have you eaten?
2. I done eat. = I have already eaten.
3. Them's high dollah. = Those are expensive.
4. They's some food in the kitchen. = There is food in the kitchen
5. I knowed him a long time. = I've known him a long time.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the general idea. And I am not exaggerating any of this. I hear each of those words and phrases at least once or twice a week, and some I hear every day.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 AM

160 posts, read 322,252 times
during a disagreement.... "Ok FINE"

when you know you have done something to Moderator cut: language someone off and they say
"that's ok" "I don't want to talk about it"

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-17-2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language

Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM

271 posts, read 544,731 times
intelligent design

Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 PM

88,942 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
intelligent design
"And this is when the rubber meets the road".

Popular phrase I hear during presentations by engineering services proposers. No, the engineering has nothing to do with vehicles or roads. When the fifth marketing geek that day uses that phrase, said marketing geek doesn't know how close he or she is to having my hands around his or her neck.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM

88,942 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
"Have a blessed day." I know it is a "nice" thing to say, but somehow it just gets on my nerves.
Similarly, "You be blessed, now".

Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,700,513 times
Lately, I've been hearing the phrase, "You need to..." As in, you need to calm down. I'm never comfortable with the thought that the other party may be assuming just a bit too much in telling me what I need to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing