Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 02:32 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It is important in the understanding of word definitions to know the root words too. It is also important to understand the original meaning of phrases. I hear phrases being misused by mostly younger people who probably never heard them before. Not that their use is wrong since it is usually the young that give them meaning in the first place in the form of slang.

Can't defend "same difference" except they mean "it's the same thing", and are trying to be cute. One of those errors that people know is wrong but do it anyway, such as saying "I couldn't care less". Lot of folks say "same ol, same ol", or SOS DD, too. I see nothing wrong with an author using those as long as it is in keeping with the way his charactor talks; does anyone disagree?
"I couldn't care less" is correct. It's when people say "I could care less" that drives me crazy.. How about 'all the sudden?' I even hear people on TV say that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
"I couldn't care less" is correct. It's when people say "I could care less" that drives me crazy.. How about 'all the sudden?' I even hear people on TV say that!

Uuuugh - my pet hate too.

If you COULD care less - then you care. Drives me nuts when I hear people say "I could care less" when it should be "couldn't".

I also hate it when people say "My bad".

Complete, asinine nonsense.

And people who can't pronounce "proBABly" and say (or worse, write) "prolly"

MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
How about duck tape? I guess "duct" is just too difficult for a lot of people to manage.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM

467 posts, read 712,907 times
I hate anything like going green or having to do with the environment put into phrases. It's all hearsay anyway.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Words:

3. I hate the word "Ya'll." It resonates within me as something absurd, horrid, and downright detrimental to my eardrums.
Not me. Southerners actually happened on a construction that takes confusion out of the language. It's an oddity of modern English that there's no difference between Second Person Singular and Second Person Plural, so one uses "You" to refer to either a single person or a group of people. This is particularly unhandy when one is calling a single person who happens to be standing with others.

Other regions have tried to solve this problem with the inelegant "You guys" or the especially horrid "Youse." At least "Y'all" is simple, lyrical, and instantly solves a problem. After all, nobody says "Y'all" to address one person.

It used to be that Thee, Thou, and Thy served that purpose (The same as "du" does in German today), but those pronouns have died out almost completely. So I think "Y'all" will actually become more and more mainstream by virtue of its simplification of English grammar.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
How about duck tape? I guess "duct" is just too difficult for a lot of people to manage.
Duck Tape is a name brand of duct tape.

Duck Tape brand Duct Tape and More! Duck Products Home

Similar to substituting "Kleenex" for "facial tissue".

Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
All rhyming slang that carries no actual meaning beyond being a cutesy rhyme. "I'm the boss, applesauce." Yeah, well, your show's a dud, baked spud. Great if you're five years old; beyond that, *barf*.
Hm.. In New Jersey, "boss" and "applesauce" don't even rhyme.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
THANK YOU. My daughter says "all the sudden" and I don't know where she got it from. Drives me nuts.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
"Think outside the box"....can someone please do same and come up with a new expression for innovative thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Think outside the bag.
To think beyond the stench...

Old 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpeters View Post
When someone say "be careful driving" as if I am going to go out and purposely be reckless. Seems like they are sending out negative Karma with this statement.
Worse than that is "Safe home". That's not even a sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing