Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 PM

88,865 posts, read 85,274,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
At least that is correct English.

I guess you must not be very old yet. Life seems very long and drawn out when you are little. It takes so long to grow up. But once you reach age 30 the years start to pass by much more quickly. Before long you are 50 and you wonder how the time passed by so quickly. You think back to when you were 20 when you remember finding it difficult to imagine what being 40 would be like. That is when you start to understand the meaning of "Life is short". It is just an expression. It isn't meant literally.
I'm past fifty, and I don't get that "didn't it all just pass by quickly?" mentality. Same with my kid. She is 18 and people ask me if it didn't just fly by. No, I remember all the different phases of her childhood, and I remember how very different life/I was ten, fifteen, twenty, thirty years ago. It's not as if we just wake up one day and find ourselves 51 years old and have been living the same thing over and over for all those years...at least I hope not!

Life is short because it is quite literally very short compared to the planet, history, and the universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM

969 posts, read 2,858,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
Not a phrase but a word (actually, not a word)...

Irregardless,
Exactly - but I have heard from others that it is now "officially" a word - but (my other favorite) "I could care less"

(If you COULD care less - then that means you DO care - at least a little bit)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
"...to die for." Worst of all when said with a faux NYC accent, "...ta doie foa." Usually heard in reference to food, and I always want to say: "Great. If I buy you an entrée that you say is 'ta doie foa,' will you then agree to go die thereafter? Thank you." A real NYC accent is one thing, but someone should throw hard, breakable objects at anyone who affects a fake NYC or Jersey accent.
I AM from New Jersey, and there should be a special punishment for anyone who says, "Joisey?" when I say where I am from. I have yet to meet a single person actually from New Jersey who pronounces the name of the state that way.

I think that comes from old black-and-white movies where people from Brooklyn mention New Jersey.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:15 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,674,352 times
"Dollars to donuts." That just never made any sense to me.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 PM

8,093 posts, read 10,688,042 times
The word "must" is way over used where I work. Every memo and communication passed down to us from corporate headquarters tells us we "must" do this and we "must" do that. It doesn't matter that they are not providing the resources, people, hours or help to accomplish all of these tasks and directives we are being given, we just "must" do it - as if saying we "MUST" is going to magically make things happen.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Me neither.

How about "there were more of them than you could shake a stick at."

At what count can you no longer shake a stick at items? And why would you be shaking a stick in the first place?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
From The Mavens' Word of the Day :

"Dollars to doughnuts" means 'most certain' or 'most assuredly'. It comes from the idea of betting. Betting a dollar to a half-dollar, for instance, means that you're giving 2 to 1 odds--you're willing to risk a dollar to win only a half-dollar. Being willing to bet dollars against doughnuts (viewed as worthless) means that you're totally confident that you're right, so confident that you'll bet money against nothing.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,020,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Me neither.

At what count can you no longer shake a stick at items? And why would you be shaking a stick in the first place?

I've never understood that one either. I would love to hear the origin of that phrase.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,370,017 times
Quote:
Me neither.

Seems like no one knows for sure. Here's a short read on it.

World Wide Words: Shake a stick at

Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,464,180 times
Quote:
Me neither.

How 'bout "can't swing a dead cat without hitting [one]"? WTH? What do foreigners make of a phrase like this, or is it a global experience, swinging dead cats around?

Also, this may not be relevant to the thread, but the term "suicide doors" on old cars just gives me a tingle up my spine. Or even just noticing those doors, knowing what they're called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing