Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,231,564 times

Advertisements

A funny somewhat related to all this: a friend-of-a-friend got tired of all the circumlocutions and sidewords and not-quites and just-plain-dumb words used to "politely" refer to the room where the toilet is kept. So... he started referring to the bathroom as the "Euphemism".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM

123 posts, read 287,992 times
the

Old 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM

37 posts, read 75,062 times
I hate the word 'pop' -- when used to mean 'soda'.

My son got me to hate the word 'actually'.

"Actually, mom, you are misinformed." Really? You're grounded.

...and I hate it when people describe something with awful grammar.

"He was doing good." (nails on a blackboard)

"It was real dark." (instead of 'really dark') aargh.

I even hate it when I do that.

I love finding major grammatical and spelling errors when they're published by companies. You'd think they'd have a better proofreader.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 PM

37 posts, read 75,062 times
Two more....

As one who enjoys marketing, it drives me crazy to read on a menu

"toasted to perfection" (yeah, you and everyone else)

I also hate the much overused "take your dreams and make them reality"

Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 AM

88,946 posts, read 85,461,719 times
One term that's popped up in the business world over the past few years that grates on me is "speak to", used, for example, in "I can't speak to the legal language in the contract, but I can speak to the technical portion."

How about "speak about"? Where did this come from? I hear it everywhere in meetings, and it's annoying.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,195,629 times
It's early in the morning, and I can't think of a lot of good examples for this. It really bugs me when the european form of a word is used in a book. Color/Colour, Catalog/ Catalogue....makes my eye sort of hitch on the page. I understand it's acceptable, I just don't like it.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,198,173 times
ain't

Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local1EC View Post
"toasted to perfection" (yeah, you and everyone else)
Rez's Menu: Burnt Black. Take it or leave it.

Quote:
I also hate the much overused "take your dreams and make them reality"
Where'd all these elves and unicorns and spaceships and aliens come from??!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
"Actually, mom, you are misinformed." Really? You're grounded.
Reminds me of the hippie-speak parody: "Like, I mean, you know, right??"

And "actually" is old hat. Now the annoying filler word is "basically."

Quote:
...and I hate it when people describe something with awful grammar.

"He was doing good." (nails on a blackboard)
...instead of doing evil??

Quote:
"It was real dark." (instead of 'really dark') aargh.
Better than fake or imitation dark!! (Especially if it's chocolate! )

Seriously, sometimes there's a subtle difference in meaning, akin to (and probably related to) differences imparted by tone of voice. One would say "and it got real dark" to express an ongoing change or unexpectedness, while one would say "it was really dark" to express either normalcy or astonishment, but in either case not unexpected. (You're astonished when a lightbulb burns out, but you still expect it to be dark afterward.) Note how you also tend to say the two variants differently... that's because they're not truly equivalent, despite the rules of grammar.

A more obvious example:

"I ain't gonna do that" carries overtones of "I refuse" (you can't make me, that's stupid, why would I, do it yourself, etc.) that are absent from the correct but generic "I'm not going to do that".

Last edited by Reziac; 10-26-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One term that's popped up in the business world over the past few years that grates on me is "speak to", used, for example, in "I can't speak to the legal language in the contract, but I can speak to the technical portion."

How about "speak about"? Where did this come from? I hear it everywhere in meetings, and it's annoying.
I have a suspicion it's an Anglification of a loanphrase with no exact English equivalent, probably from an Oriental langauge. And it doesn't precisely mean "speak about", as it carries an overtone of "be involved with". It does fill a phrase niche that was previously vacant, or was filled by something like "I can't talk about that because I'm not involved with it and don't know anything about it, but.." -- now this unwieldy circumlocution is shorthanded as "I can't speak to..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing