Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,161,524 times

Advertisements

Today I picked up one of those free town newspapers. The entire paper consists of press releases and very little news. These press releases are good for comedy relief.

From the press release for auditions for a play at a local theater:

Auditions are from 7 to 10 p.m., Sunday and Monday, Jan 13 and 14. There are no callbacks, but there will be a read-thru with the cast on the evening of Jan. 15.

All rolls are open.

The police blotter is prepared by the local police department. This account of a recent fire is grammatically correct, but the police officers at the scene apparently have a talent for stating the obvious.

Police and fire personnel responded to the CVS Pharmacy at 10:43 p.m. on a report of black smoke coming from a photo processing machine. Upon police arrival, officers observed a smoke condition and determined that the photo machine was on fire.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,735,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
The police blotter is prepared by the local police department. This account of a recent fire is grammatically correct, but the police officers at the scene apparently have a talent for stating the obvious.

Police and fire personnel responded to the CVS Pharmacy at 10:43 p.m. on a report of black smoke coming from a photo processing machine. Upon police arrival, officers observed a smoke condition and determined that the photo machine was on fire.
I love reading police reports (I used to work at a PD and saw plenty of strangely worded reports)

The one above is one of the best - sounds so typical!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,971,537 times
On a Facebook post this morning, from someone who is an educator, a piece of rhetoric ending with "Wake up my friends you being brain washed by the lame stream media". **shudder** I'm not even sure what's that is supposed to convey!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Either that or our DA has no idea what that word means.

Thank goodness I have you people to share my pain with. We're like a support group!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Absolutely!
Exactly. I can come here and express my pain.

Here's the latest, and it came from the Help Wanted section of my local newspaper. Someone is looking for a lawyer experienced in tax leans.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Either that or our DA has no idea what that word means.

Thank goodness I have you people to share my pain with. We're like a support group!
Quote:

I have to admit that I never could have imagined that someone would be able to screw-up the spelling of impact to that extent.
But, then again, there does seem to a problem with some people in terms of distinguishing between an, "m", sound and an, "n", sound, and this seems to transfer from their spoken language to their writing.

In sort of a reverse of the gaffe shown above, I have seen several instances of people writing that they want someone's, "imput", on a particular issue.

Imput?
I've seen "imput" before, and I think I may even have posted it on this thread...a couple of years ago. As someone mentioned, it's been going for a long time!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Today I picked up one of those free town newspapers. The entire paper consists of press releases and very little news. These press releases are good for comedy relief.

From the press release for auditions for a play at a local theater:

Auditions are from 7 to 10 p.m., Sunday and Monday, Jan 13 and 14. There are no callbacks, but there will be a read-thru with the cast on the evening of Jan. 15.

All rolls are open.

Wow, you've got some sharp law enforcement in your town!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
On a Facebook post this morning, from someone who is an educator, a piece of rhetoric ending with "Wake up my friends you being brain washed by the lame stream media". **shudder** I'm not even sure what's that is supposed to convey!

That person is trying to convey, albeit in a not very literate manner, that he/she is a follower of Fox (Faux) News.

There are people who believe that the, "facts", broadcast by Fox--and only by Fox--are the unvarnished truth, rather than a narrowly-focused attempt to discredit anything and everything done by anyone other than those on the far right. In other words, these people believe that every other news source in the US--plus foreign ones like Reuters, The BBC, Agence France, The CBC, Nikkei, etc--are all part of a vast, "left-wing conspiracy", to tell lies, and that only Fox has accurate information.

That expression, "lame stream media", is a favorite of a great intellectual commentator on Fox News, namely Sarah Palin.
Certainly nobody would want to try to, "refudiate", Ms. Palin!

Last edited by Retriever; 01-09-2013 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,288,804 times
Quote:
But, then again, there does seem to a problem with some people in terms of distinguishing between an, "m", sound and an, "n", sound, and this seems to transfer from their spoken language to their writing.

While keeping in mind that for anything written on a QWERTY keyboard, m/n errors are a common typo, not necessarily a misspelling.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,206,249 times
Quote:

I have to admit that I never could have imagined that someone would be able to screw-up the spelling of impact to that extent.
:
Actually, "inpacked" doesn't surprise me that much. In the speaker's mind, the object got "packed in" suddenly by the action, and "impact" does not derive from any common words (like "imprint"), so would need to be a previously-known word, as opposed to something intuitively derived. These are common mistakes by people who very rarely read and know the language only from hearing it spoken.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
These are common mistakes by people who very rarely read and know the language only from hearing it spoken.

I think we could add that these folks frequently hear the language spoken in a less-than-educated manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing