Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I love reading police reports (I used to work at a PD and saw plenty of strangely worded reports)

The one above is one of the best - sounds so typical!
I always read the police blotter to see how carefully they are written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, you've got some sharp law enforcement in your town!

Yes, they are sharp! Black smoke billowing from the machine = it must be a fire!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
On a Facebook post this morning, from someone who is an educator, a piece of rhetoric ending with "Wake up my friends you being brain washed by the lame stream media". **shudder** I'm not even sure what's that is supposed to convey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That person is trying to convey, albeit in a not very literate manner, that he/she is a follower of Fox (Faux) News.

There are people who believe that the, "facts", broadcast by Fox--and only by Fox--are the unvarnished truth, rather than a narrowly-focused attempt to discredit anything and everything done by anyone other than those on the far right. In other words, these people believe that every other news source in the US--plus foreign ones like Reuters, The BBC, Agence France, The CBC, Nikkei, etc--are all part of a vast, "left-wing conspiracy", to tell lies, and that only Fox has accurate information.

That expression, "lame stream media", is a favorite of a great intellectual commentator on Fox News, namely Sarah Palin.
Certainly nobody would want to try to, "refudiate", Ms. Palin!

Exactly. If you read the political forum, you'll see many Fox News watchers call every other news outlet the MSM (mainstream media) or the "lamestream" media, because according to them, only Fox News is "fair and balanced."

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
In today's mail, I received an announcement of the opening of a new office for a team of surgeons. Since I have never been a patient of any of these MDs, I'm not quite sure why I received this mailing, but at least I did learn a new word as a result of this notice.

What new word did I learn?
It relates to one of the specialties of a surgeon, whose practice is limited to, "General, Vascular, Advanced Laparoscopic, and Endovasgualr", surgeries.

Hopefully, his surgical techniques are better than his skills at proofreading his mailings.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In today's mail, I received an announcement of the opening of a new office for a team of surgeons. Since I have never been a patient of any of these MDs, I'm not quite sure why I received this mailing, but at least I did learn a new word as a result of this notice.

What new word did I learn?
It relates to one of the specialties of a surgeon, whose practice is limited to, "General, Vascular, Advanced Laparoscopic, and Endovasgualr", surgeries.

Hopefully, his surgical techniques are better than his skills at proofreading his mailings.
Wow! I hope you notified the office.

Was it a letter or a card from a printing company? If the latter, it's a shame no one at the printing company could spell, either.

My father had a high school education. He worked for a printing company as a Linotype operator and sometimes set type by hand. He not only could spell properly, he could do it in mirror reverse!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
From C-D, "Stop praying on innocent kids!"

Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
In other words, only pray on (for?) the guilty ones!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

It's hard to pray on them. They wont sit still while I kneel.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Found in the P&OC forum, which is a rich source of malapropisms and speeling and gramer misteaks:

Quote:
wait-a-go california

Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,368 times
Internet meme is an annoying term.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I love reading police reports (I used to work at a PD and saw plenty of strangely worded reports)
My wife's brother was a big city cop, and she gave him one of those word-a-day desk calendars. He made it a point to put each day's new word in at least one police report. Talk about strangely-worded reports. Words like ductile and interregnum and obfuscatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing