Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The word "Column" is usually pronounced "COLL-em." but many pronounce it "COLL-yume."
It's not uncommon for two words to be pronounced as though they rhyme, when they don't. Column does not rhyme with vacuum, but often people learn to pronounce words as soon as they hear them for the first time, and often you hear words spoken by people who don't or can't read, and they disregard the spelling of words. Like, when I was a child, the first time I heard the expression, it was "Take it for Granite".

Nook-u-lar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I always liked the story of the little kid who sat in church believing that Jesus was followed around by twelve opposums.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
Excellent posts!!

My 2 cents here: people who insist on pronouncing foreign words which are constantly written/used incorrectly so the pronunciation/usage will most likely be wrong as well.
I am quite picky regarding languages and try not to make such mistakes at all costs. It is terribly tacky when one wants to say certain things but makes a trivial mistake like one of these:

proscIUtto: proscUItto

maSCARpone: maRSCApone

and the ubiquitous "one biscotti/one panini, please": biscotti and panini are plural forms, therefore one cannot ask for "one biscuits/one sandwiches"

also, very constantly used, it is a "chaise loNGUe", not a "chaise loUNGe"

Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always liked the story of the little kid who sat in church believing that Jesus was followed around by twelve opposums.
I once wondered if a "holy infansil" was something like a utensil. Had no clue what a "roungeon virgin" was.

Here site with thousands of misheard song lyrics. http://www.kissthisguy.com/index.php

My favorite is "16 Bestial Virgins" from "Whiter Shade of Pale". I have a lot of trouble with virgin references. Having myself once said "The Disney virgin of Snow White" on the radio.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,169 times
Lots of kids think Mary's husband must have been named Virgil, because they hear so much about Virg an' Mary.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
There was apparently a hymn with the words "gladly the cross I'd bear" and kids who sang it thought it was "Gladly: the cross-eyed bear." Anyone know the name of the hymn?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,332,701 times
I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you
On hiccough, thorough, slough, and through.
Well don't! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps.
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard but sounds like bird.
And dead: it's said like bed, not bead,
For goodness sake don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth as in mother
Nor both as in bother, nor broth as in brother,
And here is not a match for there,
Nor dear and fear, for bear and pear.
And then there's dose and rose and lose--
Just look them up--and goose and choose
And cork and work and card and ward
And font and front and word and sword
And do and go, then thwart and cart,
Come, come! I've hardly made a start.
A dreadful Language? Why man alive!
I learned to talk it when I was five.
And yet to write it, the more I tried,
I hadn't learned it at fifty-five.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,332,701 times
Wear a boot upon your foot.
Root can never rhyme with soot.
In muscle, sc is s,
In muscular, it's sk, yes!
Choir must always rhyme with wire,
That again will rhyme with liar.
Then remember it's address.
With an accent like possess.
G in sign must silent be,
In signature, pronounce the g.
Please remember, say towards
Just as if it rhymed with boards.
Weight's like wait, but not like height.
Which should always rhyme with might.
Sew is just the same as so,
Tie a ribbon in a bow.
When You meet the queen you bow,
Which again must rhyme with how.
In perfect English make a start.
Learn this little rhyme by heart.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I once wondered if a "holy infansil" was something like a utensil. Had no clue what a "roungeon virgin" was.

Here site with thousands of misheard song lyrics. The Archive of Funny Misheard Music Lyrics - KissThisGuy.com

My favorite is "16 Bestial Virgins" from "Whiter Shade of Pale". I have a lot of trouble with virgin references. Having myself once said "The Disney virgin of Snow White" on the radio.
OMG - I was just thinking about kissthisguy.com earlier today! Haven't visited there for a few years, but used to love going there. It is hilarious! I think my all-time favorite was someone who thought the second verse of "Away In A Manger" started out, "The cattle are blowing the baby away." (For those who may not know, it's actually, "The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes.")

Old 06-02-2010, 01:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pronunciation is perhaps the antithesis of "Writing", the topic of this forum, but we don't have an erudite "Talking" forum, so here goes.

Do you subscribe to the theory that every word has a single correct pronunciation? If not, where are the boundaries.

Do prouniciations stem from spelling, or does spelling stem from pronunciation?

Here's some food for thought. "Cartesian" is from the name of the originator, Rene DeCartes. "Keynesian" is, similarly, from John Maynard Keynes. But the pronunciations are /car-TEE-zhun/ and /KAYN-zee-un/. Why not /kee-NEE-zhun/?

Who was the authority who had to power to decide, in the late 1930s, how to correctly pronounce "Keynesian"?
"Diamond" have two syllables or three? I've heard both. If you had a rodeo on Rodeo Drive, which time would you be saying it wrong (the first, probably).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing