Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 30,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
My neighbor has TW internet which went out---it took 12 days for TW to roll a truck and get her back on line, yet she still rants about how much she loves TW and hates Comporium (she had never had Comporium service) so figure!!!!
Just wondering where you live for you to have Comporium, and your neighbor to have Time Warner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM

161 posts, read 529,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAces3 View Post
Just wondering where you live for you to have Comporium, and your neighbor to have Time Warner?
I live in Indian Land, both TW/Charlotte and Comporium serve most neighborhoods in IL. The problem for my neighbor is Time Warner will only send a repair person after they have received at least 10 service complaints from a particular neighborhood or area--otherwise they schedule you for a regular appointment which can be several weeks down the road. My neighbor was the only one in her immediate area who was having problems, so she had to wait over two weeks. Comporium, OTOH sends a technician immediately for every service complaint. The few times I've had to call they've always arrived within an hour...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 PM

37 posts, read 104,086 times
We were told that if you have a zip code of 29715 (Fort Mill & Indian Land)then you can have Time Warner but if it's 29708 (Fort Mill & Tega Cay) then it's Comporium!!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 AM

98 posts, read 286,500 times
I live in Bridgemill which is 29707 in Indian Land/Fort Mill and we have the option of either TW or Comporium. I've had TW for the past year, but am thinking about switching my cable and internet to Comporium. Any suggestions? I was just checking out both their HD channel lineups and they seem comparable. I would prob lose On demand w/ Comp, but we don't use it too often. I'll have to head down to their new office near Sun City and see what kind of packages they have.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
I live in Indian Land, both TW/Charlotte and Comporium serve most neighborhoods in IL. The problem for my neighbor is Time Warner will only send a repair person after they have received at least 10 service complaints from a particular neighborhood or area--otherwise they schedule you for a regular appointment which can be several weeks down the road. My neighbor was the only one in her immediate area who was having problems, so she had to wait over two weeks. Comporium, OTOH sends a technician immediately for every service complaint. The few times I've had to call they've always arrived within an hour...
We live in Indian Land also, we have a wireless connection with Verizon that we can use in our car with a lap top. It works wonderful no matter whre you are. The cost depends on how much usage. I would recommend you check into Verizon for the VZ access and see if it could be of assistance to you!

Good luck

Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,244 times
What about high speed in the Lake Wylie area

Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post

...I will take this over Hughes Net ANY DAY OF THE WEEK AND DO. I have very poor cell service at the house but still use Verizon EVDO as I am now. HughesNet is THAT bad and if I need to do any video or Windows updates I take my lapto into town and do it from there.
AMEN!!! I'm in Hughesnet Hell right now. Upload speed in the 60s, downloads in the 30s, tier 4 support left me in that condition over the weekend and won't call back until tomorrow, no one else can help, and billing can't even authorize a credit. (And no, I'm not even in the slower "fair access policy" restriction! If you start to dial Hughesnet, cut your finger off.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carliam1 View Post
What about high speed in the Lake Wylie area
We lived at Lake Wylie and used Bellsouth for service. We also like the Verizon VC acess as it can be used at Lake Wylie as well.

Good luck in your search.

Dunroven

Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,992 times
Comporium has the market cornered. If you live in this county, it is your only option.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM

196 posts, read 619,664 times
We have lived in Western York County for several years no waiting patiently. The necessary frame for DSL is in the area that services my home but has not been populated with the required equipement to serve DSL to the local homes, been over a year now. I spoke to one of the local techs that I know and asked "so when are we on the list" and he replied never as far as he knows. Never is not quite true I would guess BUT never to him was at least not in the next 3-4 years since build plans are usually done for 5 years out.. I'd call that never too since in 5 years technology will be such that DSL will look like Dial Up to us by then.

Comporium services 600ft from my property line and stops, I have confirmed that it's live and people are on it but they refuse to go any farther and I have called at least 2x a year and made some calls behind the scenes to higher level management through friends.

There are a lot of parts to this county that are still in the dark ages and appear that they will continue like this for a long time. Not that there is not service in the area but carriers (ATT and Comporium) pick and chose what blocks to service and even how far down the block. Honestly I think the time has come for some serious battle here for many of us. If calling and writing requesting and complaining about lack of service does nothing MAYBE calling some of our local and state representatives may help.

Think of reality today..more and more services and options for life are becoming internet only. More often than not schools and teachers depend on the internet for education and other things, our school does not even give out the lunch schedule, we need to get it off the internet! ...library's are getting smaller due to lack of demand, when was the last time you saw an Encyclopedia salesman at your door (TG!) ? Everyone including employers are claiming that everyone has an opportunity for higher education...ever try to do on-line school via dial up, you will receive your AARP certificate in the mail along with your diploma! We are seeing a new form of bias and segregation due to technology...we will be repressed due to our inability to live where THEY feel service is needed or not. The internet is becoming THAT intertwined in our life that saying "oh I'll stop by the local library tomorrow" is just not enough to get by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties