We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||48.9 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 53518.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,606 (it was $15,257 in 2000)
Akan town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $148,486 (it was $90,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $170,581; Detached houses: $179,014; Townhouses or other attached units: $382,410; In 2-unit structures: $193,238; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $157,889; Mobile homes: $38,973; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $25,898
Races in Akan, WI (2010)
- 39598.0%White alone
- 30.7%Black alone
- 20.5%American Indian alone
- 20.5%Two or more races
Ancestries: German (35.4%), Norwegian (16.2%), Irish (10.8%), English (9.2%), Dutch (5.0%), United States (4.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 36.1 square miles.
Population density: 11 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Akan:
- High school or higher: 81.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 2.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Akan town:
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 61.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 6.4%
5 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Akan town:||1.1% ($1,000)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: La Crosse, WI (45.5 miles , pop. 51,818).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (64.2 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (181.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Boaz, WI (2.2 miles) , Richwood, WI (2.3 miles ), Sylvan, WI (2.3 miles ), Soldiers Grove, WI (3.0 miles ), Blue River, WI (3.2 miles ), Bell Center, WI (3.3 miles) , Readstown, WI (3.3 miles ), Watterstown, WI (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 43.33 N, Longitude: 90.62 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 608
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (24%)
- Construction (23%)
- Food (11%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (4%)
- Metal and metal products (2%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, and components (13%)
- Health care (13%)
- Food and beverage stores (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Food (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (19%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Carpenters (11%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Food processing workers (5%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (12%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Akan, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Akan-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Wisconsin state average. It is 43% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/11/1965, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.2 miles away from the Akan town center killed one person and injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/7/1984, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 40.7 miles away from the town center killed 9 people and injured 200 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Akan-area historical earthquake activity is above Wisconsin state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 366.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 156.2 miles away from Akan center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 342.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB) earthquake occurred 312.6 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 126.5 miles away from Akan center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 365.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Richland County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 13, Tornadoes: 7, Mudslides: 2, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Akan:
- SCHMITT WOODLAND HILLS (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; RICHLAND CENTER, WI)
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER-RIVERDALE (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; MUSCODA, WI)
- PINE VALLEY HLTH CARE REHAB (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; RICHLAND CENTER, WI)
- BOSCOBEL AREA HEALTH CARE Critical Access Hospitals (about 15 miles away; BOSCOBEL, WI)
- BOSCOBEL CARE AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BOSCOBEL, WI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Akan:
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville (about 42 miles; Platteville, WI; Full-time enrollment: 7,679)
- Viterbo University (about 46 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 2,848)
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse (about 46 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 9,837)
- Western Technical College (about 47 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 3,377)
- Luther College (about 60 miles; Decorah, IA; FT enrollment: 2,700)
- Edgewood College (about 64 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- Northeast Iowa Community College-Calmar (about 64 miles; Calmar, IA; FT enrollment: 3,365)
Notable locations in Akan: Grove Spring Farm (A), Heart Grove Farm (B), Homestead Farm (C), Huleth Orchard Farm (D), Maple Spring Stock and Grain Farm (E), Neugarts Stock, Dairy and Grain Farm (F), Pleasant Ridge Farm (G), Poplar Grove Farm (H), Red Hill Stock, Dairy and Fruit Farm (I), Ridgewood Stock, Dairy and Grain Farm (J), Silver Leaf Farm (K), Silver Maple Dairy Farm (L), Sunny Ridge Farm (M), Turnmire Spring Farm (N), Valley Spring Farm (O), Willow Corners Stock and Grain Farm (P), Willow Grove Farm (Q), Big Spring Stock and Grain Farm (R), Willow Spring Stock and Dairy Farm (S), Indian Hollow Farms (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Akan: Pleasant Ridge Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Five Points Cemetery (1), Felton Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: 2 Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Jimtown Branch (A). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
8 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
4 people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Akan town (based on Richland County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Richland County:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Richland County:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Richland County:||5.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.42% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,333 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Sauk County, WI||0.91% ($31,656 average AGI)|
|from Grant County, WI||0.67% ($22,422)|
|from Vernon County, WI||0.57% ($29,842)|
5.98% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,382 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Akan:
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WKTY (580 AM; 5 kW; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WRCO (1450 AM; 1 kW; RICHLAND CENTER, WI; Owner: FRUIT BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WVRQ (1360 AM; 1 kW; VIROQUA, WI; Owner: ROBINSON CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
Strongest FM radio stations in Akan:
- WRCO-FM (100.9 FM; RICHLAND CENTER, WI; Owner: FRUIT BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WHHI (91.3 FM; HIGHLAND, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WVCX (98.9 FM; TOMAH, WI; Owner: VCY AMERICA, INC.)
- WOLX-FM (94.9 FM; BARABOO, WI; Owner: ENTERCOM MADISON LICENSE, LLC.)
- WIZM-FM (93.3 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WVRQ-FM (102.3 FM; VIROQUA, WI; Owner: ROBINSON CORPORATION)
- WJTY (88.1 FM; LANCASTER, WI; Owner: JOY PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQPC (94.3 FM; PRAIRIE DU CHIEN, WI; Owner: ROBINSON CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Akan:
- WDLS-LP (Channel 35; TOMAH, WI; Owner: MAGNUM RADIO, INC.)
- K41AD (Channel 41; LANSING, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 24Number of bridges
- 36m118ftTotal length
- 8,222Total average daily traffic
- 693Total average daily truck traffic
- 12,293Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (53%)
- Wood (35%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (9%)
- Electricity (3%)
Akan compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.