Chappells, South Carolina
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||39.1 years|
|South Carolina median age:||35.4 years|
Zip code: 29037
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $25,086 (it was $18,171 in 2000)
Chappells CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $135,114 (it was $87,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $163,621; Detached houses: $184,341; Townhouses or other attached units: $377,517; Mobile homes: $92,864
Races in Chappells, SC (2000)
- 74466.9%White alone
- 34731.2%Black alone
- 30.3%Other race alone
- 30.3%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Small businesses are especially popular in Florida Mar 28
- Early delinquencies are more likely for higher income borrowers Mar 26
- Selecting an airline for a trip Mar 24
- People with mortgaged homes are the least risky borrowers Mar 22
- Food services is among the worst-performing sectors in the Midwest Mar 20
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 440 feet
Land area: 87.4 square miles.
Population density: 13 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Chappells:
- High school or higher: 69.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chappells CCD:
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 58.2%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 17.2%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Chappells CCD:||0.5% ($469)|
|South Carolina:||0.6% ($510)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dutch Fork, SC (40.8 miles , pop. 59,332).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Charlotte, NC (88.9 miles , pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (543.5 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Silverstreet, SC (2.8 miles ), Cross Hill, SC (3.0 miles ), Ninety Six, SC (3.3 miles ), Mountville, SC (3.3 miles) , Saluda River, SC (3.5 miles ), Joanna, SC (3.6 miles ), Newberry, SC (3.7 miles ), Coronaca, SC (3.7 miles) .
Latitude: 34.23 N, Longitude: 81.85 W
Area code: 864
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Textile mills and textile products (9%)
- Food (8%)
- Metal and metal products (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Paper (6%)
- Health care (16%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Textile mills and textile products (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Educational services (6%)
- U. S. Postal service (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (15%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (12%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Life and physical scientists (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (14%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (7%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in Chappells, South Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Chappells-area historical tornado activity is slightly above South Carolina state average. It is 26% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/13/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.4 miles away from the Chappells place center killed 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/31/1973, a category F4 tornado 22.9 miles away from the place center killed 7 people and injured 30 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Chappells-area historical earthquake activity is near South Carolina state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 44.3 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 134.9 miles away from Chappells center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 161.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 216.4 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1992 at 16:31:55, a magnitude 4.4 (4.1 MB, 4.1 LG, 4.4 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 129.2 miles away from Chappells center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 298.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Newberry County (10) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 3, Floods: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Chappells:
- NHC HEALTHCARE - GREENWOOD (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; GREENWOOD, SC)
- J F HAWKINS NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; NEWBERRY, SC)
- DHEC REGION 3 HOME HEALTH SVS (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; NEWBERRY, SC)
- WHITE OAK MANOR - NEWBERRY (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; NEWBERRY, SC)
- FMC OF NEWBERRY (Dialysis Facility, about 15 miles away; NEWBERRY, SC)
- NEWBERRY COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 15 miles away; NEWBERRY, SC)
- MCCULLOUGH COMMUNITY RES. (Hospital, about 15 miles away; NEWBERRY, SC)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chappells:
- Piedmont Technical College (about 16 miles; Greenwood, SC; Full-time enrollment: 4,831)
- Lander University (about 19 miles; Greenwood, SC; FT enrollment: 2,870)
- University of South Carolina-Aiken (about 47 miles; Aiken, SC; FT enrollment: 2,815)
- Midlands Technical College (about 47 miles; West Columbia, SC; FT enrollment: 8,916)
- Aiken Technical College (about 49 miles; Graniteville, SC; FT enrollment: 2,107)
- Anderson University (about 50 miles; Anderson, SC; FT enrollment: 2,510)
- University of South Carolina-Columbia (about 50 miles; Columbia, SC; FT enrollment: 27,789)
Notable location: Newberry County Rural Fire Department Chappells (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Chappells include: Cross Roads Church (A), Crossroads Church (B), Little River Church (C), Scurry-Spring Hill Church (D), Saluda Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Bozeman-Scurry Graveyard (1), Cross Roads Cemetery (2), Little River Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Smiths Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Sharps Branch (A), Mudlick Creek (B), Pages Creek (C), Reeder Branch (D), Quaker Creek (E), Mills Creek (F), Garrison Creek (G), Davenport Branch (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2007 was 57.3. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 12.9. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 18.5 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 0.00468. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.6 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.4 people|
|South Carolina:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|South Carolina average:||13.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chappells CCD (based on Newberry County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Newberry County:||2.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Carolina:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Newberry County:||1.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Carolina:||0.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|Newberry County:||7.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.75 / 10,000 pop.|
4.59% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,224 average adjusted gross income)
|South Carolina average:||6.90%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lexington County, SC||0.70% ($41,505 average AGI)|
|from Richland County, SC||0.64% ($41,765)|
|from Laurens County, SC||0.29% ($27,026)|
5.01% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,100 average adjusted gross income)
|South Carolina average:||6.53%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chappells:
- WBCU (1460 AM; 50 kW; UNION, SC)
- WBAJ (890 AM; daytime; 50 kW; BLYTHEWOOD, SC; Owner: FAMILY FIRST)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCEO (840 AM; daytime; 50 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WCZZ (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; GREENWOOD, SC; Owner: KEENE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, INC.)
- WAGL (1560 AM; daytime; 50 kW; LANCASTER, SC; Owner: PALMETTO BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC.)
- WBT (1110 AM; 50 kW; CHARLOTTE, NC; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATNS CO. OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WLGO (1170 AM; daytime; 10 kW; LEXINGTON, SC; Owner: LEVAS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WVOC (560 AM; 5 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKDK (1240 AM; 1 kW; NEWBERRY, SC; Owner: NEWBERRY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBLR (1430 AM; 5 kW; BATESBURG, SC; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chappells:
- WHZQ (94.1 FM; CROSS HILL, SC; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WSSL-FM (100.5 FM; GRAY COURT, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WROQ (101.1 FM; ANDERSON, SC; Owner: OBC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W274AE (102.7 FM; GREENWOOD, SC; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WJES-FM (92.1 FM; SALUDA, SC; Owner: BRECKENRIDGE COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WMHK (89.7 FM; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: COLUMBIA BIBLE COLLEGE B/CING CO.)
- WBBQ-FM (104.3 FM; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGVC (106.3 FM; SIMPSONVILLE, SC; Owner: SIMPSONVILLE BROADCASTING LLC)
- WZSN (103.5 FM; GREENWOOD, SC; Owner: KEENE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, INC.)
- WKSX-FM (92.7 FM; JOHNSTON, SC; Owner: EDGEFIELD-SALUDA RADIO COMPANY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Chappells:
- WNEH (Channel 38; GREENWOOD, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
- WBSC-TV (Channel 40; ANDERSON, SC; Owner: ANDERSON (WFBC-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
Chappells fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Chappells)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:4
- STATION, Buzzards Roost Hydro Plant On Sc Hwy 34 (Lat: 34.167611 Lon: -81.900111), Overall height: 57.9 m, Call Sign: WGX939
Assigned Frequencies: 6585.00 MHz, 6665.00 MHzGrant Date: 08/11/1994, Expiration Date: 08/11/1999, Cancellation Date: 06/07/1999Registrant: Phone: (704) 373-3367
- STATION, 2.6 Mi N Of Int Of Sr 39 And 56 Near (Lat: 34.237056 Lon: -81.892889), Overall height: 51.8 m, Call Sign: WHK268
Assigned Frequencies: 6615.00 MHzGrant Date: 01/22/2011, Expiration Date: 03/26/2021, Certifier: Clifford B Jordan Jr.Registrant: Sc Educational Television Commission, 1041 George Rogers Blvd., Columbia, SC 29201, Phone: (803) 737-3500, Email:
- .15 Mi S Of County Hwy 347 (Lat: 34.237056 Lon: -81.892889), Overall height: 51.8 m, Call Sign: WHS630, Licensee ID: L00012124
Assigned Frequencies: 7025.00 MHzGrant Date: 09/27/1984, Expiration Date: 12/01/2020Registrant: South Carolina Educational Tv Commission, 1041 George Rogers Boulevard, Columbia, SC 29201
- CHAPPELLS, SC, 0.15 Mi S Of Cnty Hwy 347 (Lat: 34.237056 Lon: -81.892889), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 51.8 m, Call Sign: WHY328
Assigned Frequencies: 7075.00 MHzGrant Date: 01/24/1984, Expiration Date: 12/01/2020Registrant: Kessler And Gehman Associates, Inc., 507 Nw 60th Street, Suite C, Gainesville, FL 32607, Phone: (352) 332-3157, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KJ4UIQ, Licensee ID: L01562756, Grant Date: 04/19/2010, Expiration Date: 04/19/2020, Certifier: William D Butler, Registrant: William D Butler, 864 Hwy 702, Chappells, SC 29037
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: BUCKEYE INDUSTRIES DREAM MACHINE (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 582 (65 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 582EE , Serial Number: 4902, Year manufactured: 2000, Airworthiness Date: 03/16/2007
Registrant (Individual): Issac J Yoder, 2455 Salter Rd, Chappells, SC 29037
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (57%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (20%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (10%)
- Utility gas (8%)
- Wood (5%)
Chappells compared to South Carolina state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2017.