Covert, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||45.4 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14847.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $26,009 (it was $19,757 in 2000)
Covert town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $94,286 (it was $73,000 in 2000)
Races in Covert, NY (2010)
- 2,06695.9%White alone
- 271.3%Two or more races
- 170.8%Black alone
- 140.6%Asian alone
- 70.3%American Indian alone
- 20.09%Other race alone
|Syracuse Construction Update (3521 replies)|
|Can Anyone Provide a LEGITIMATE Argument Against Charter Schools? (234 replies)|
|Incorporated Village of Rockville Centre vs Unincorporated (23 replies)|
|NCPD in Action (55 replies)|
|Considering Buying Home in Floral Park. Your advice? (48 replies)|
|Rockville Centre - Birchwood area (18 replies)|
Latest news from Covert, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (17.7%), German (17.6%), Irish (17.4%), Dutch (7.7%), United States (7.4%), French (6.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 913 feet
Land area: 31.5 square miles.
Population density: 68 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Covert:
- High school or higher: 86.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.4%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Covert town:
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 59.7%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 8.6%
71 residents are foreign born (1.4% North America, 0.8% Europe, 0.6% Latin America, 0.4% Asia).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Covert town:||2.0% ($1,437)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Syracuse, NY (42.2 miles , pop. 147,306).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (60.8 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Manhattan, NY (189.1 miles , pop. 1,537,195).
Nearest cities: Interlaken, NY (1.4 miles ), Trumansburg, NY (2.1 miles ), Lodi, NY (2.5 miles ), Ulysses, NY (2.6 miles ), Genoa, NY (2.8 miles ), Ovid, NY (2.9 miles ), Hector, NY (3.1 miles ), Aurora, NY (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 42.59 N, Longitude: 76.70 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 607
Unemployment by year (%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (9%)
- Construction (8%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Educational services (28%)
- Health care (22%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Finance and insurance (3%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (3%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Other health diagnosing and treating practitioners and technical occupations (3%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (3%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in Covert, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Covert-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New York state average. It is 71% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/30/1955, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 21.4 miles away from the Covert town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/2/1983, a category F3 tornado 39.0 miles away from the town center injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Covert-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 151.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 198.7 miles away from Covert center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 204.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 160.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 238.9 miles away from Covert center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 103.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Seneca County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 2
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Covert:
- CAYUGA MEDICAL CENTER AT ITHACA Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; ITHACA, NY)
- ITHACA DIALYSIS CLINIC (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; ITHACA, NY)
- CAYUGA RIDGE EXTENDED CARE (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; ITHACA, NY)
- KENDAL AT ITHACA (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; ITHACA, NY)
- TOMPKINS COUNTY HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; ITHACA, NY)
- BEECHTREE CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; ITHACA, NY)
- OAK HILL MANOR NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; ITHACA, NY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Covert:
- Cornell University (about 16 miles; Ithaca, NY; Full-time enrollment: 20,360)
- Ithaca College (about 16 miles; Ithaca, NY; FT enrollment: 6,781)
- Tompkins Cortland Community College (about 22 miles; Dryden, NY; FT enrollment: 3,884)
- Hobart William Smith Colleges (about 24 miles; Geneva, NY; FT enrollment: 2,476)
- Cayuga County Community College (about 26 miles; Auburn, NY; FT enrollment: 3,141)
- SUNY College at Cortland (about 26 miles; Cortland, NY; FT enrollment: 6,838)
- Finger Lakes Community College (about 34 miles; Canandaigua, NY; FT enrollment: 4,732)
Notable locations in Covert: Frontenac Point Vineyard (A), Kingtown Orchard (B), Waid Apiaries (C), Six Corners (D), Halls Corners (E), Dawson Corners (F), Camp Barton (G), Interlaken Village Sewage Treatment Plant (H), Austic Farms (I), Shalestone Vineyards (J), Americana Vineyards And Winery (K), Lucas Vineyards And Winery (L), Interlaken Public Library (M), Interlaken Volunteer Fire Department (N). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Covert include: Saint Francis Solanus Catholic Church (A), Covert Baptist Church (B), Interlaken Reformed Church (C), First Baptist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Covert Baptist Cemetery (1), Lakeview Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Trumansburg Creek (A), Lively Run (B), Bergen Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Covert: Hector Land Use Area US Forest Service (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
22 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
19 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Covert compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (55%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (20%)
- Coal or coke (7%)
- Utility gas (6%)
- Wood (5%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Covert town (based on Seneca County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Seneca County:||2.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Seneca County:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Seneca County:||3.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.93% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,767 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Ontario County, NY||1.30% ($26,912 average AGI)|
|from Tompkins County, NY||0.52% ($43,691)|
|from Cayuga County, NY||0.43% ($27,411)|
5.85% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,642 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Covert:
- WPIE (1160 AM; 5 kW; TRUMANSBURG, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ITHACA LTD. N.A.)
- WHCU (870 AM; 5 kW; ITHACA, NY; Owner: EAGLE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WFLR (1570 AM; 5 kW; DUNDEE, NY; Owner: LAKES COUNTY COMMUNICATION CORP.)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WTKO (1470 AM; 5 kW; ITHACA, NY; Owner: EAGLE II BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABH (1380 AM; 10 kW; BATH, NY)
- WSYR (570 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLNL (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: LIGHTHOUSE MEDIA, INC.)
- WWLZ (820 AM; 4 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: CHEMUNG COUNTY RADIO, INC.)
- WHEN (620 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WELM (1410 AM; 5 kW; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LIMITED)
- WEHH (1590 AM; 5 kW; ELMIRA HTS/HORSEHEAD, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Covert:
- WPHR (106.9 FM; AUBURN, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQNY (103.7 FM; ITHACA, NY; Owner: EAGLE II BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSQG-FM (90.9 FM; ITHACA, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMM. COUNCIL)
- WYXL (97.3 FM; ITHACA, NY; Owner: EAGLE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFLR-FM (95.9 FM; DUNDEE, NY; Owner: LAKES COUNTRY COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WNYR-FM (98.5 FM; WATERLOO, NY; Owner: LAKE COUNTRY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFLK (101.7 FM; GENEVA, NY; Owner: MB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WIII (99.9 FM; CORTLAND, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCIY (88.9 FM; CANANDAIGUA, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WFXF (107.3 FM; SOUTH BRISTOL TOWNSH, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WNVE (95.1 FM; HONEOYE FALLS, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WOKN (99.5 FM; SOUTHPORT, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WLVY (94.3 FM; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WISY (102.3 FM; CANANDAIGUA, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WMHR (102.9 FM; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: MARS HILL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNGZ (104.9 FM; MONTOUR FALLS, NY; Owner: CHEMUNG COUNTY RADIO, INC.)
- WCBA-FM (98.7 FM; CORNING, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXHC (101.5 FM; HOMER, NY; Owner: EVES BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGMM (97.7 FM; BIG FLATS, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W220CJ (91.9 FM; PENN YAN, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Covert:
- W20BT (Channel 20; ITHACA, NY; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- WSYT (Channel 68; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: WSYT LICENSEE L.P.)
- WCNY-TV (Channel 24; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING COUNCIL OF CENTRAL NEW YORK)
- WSTM-TV (Channel 3; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: WSTM LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
- WIXT-TV (Channel 9; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CENTRAL NY NEWS, INC.)
- W16AX (Channel 16; ITHACA, NY; Owner: WSYT LICENSEE L.P.)
- WETM-TV (Channel 18; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: SMITH TELEVISION OF NEW YORK LICENSE HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WNYS-TV (Channel 43; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: RKM MEDIA, INC.)
- WENY-TV (Channel 36; ELMIRA, NY; Owner: LILLY BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 10m33ftTotal length
- $4,777,000Total costs
- 3,390Total average daily traffic
- 305Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,540Total future (year 2022) average daily traffic