Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 7,977 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a SFH on LI as my Manhattan office location is moving from FiDi to Midtown (Columbus Circle) which is will make my commute from NJ (Rumson area / Ferry) untenable.

We were hoping for 3-4 bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms and a yard (can be smaller if the rest fits) - schools are irrelevant since we don't have kids. Our Budget is ~$700-850k for a SFH (not interested in Condos / Apartments etc.). Apart from above, my main objective would be a somewhat okay commuting time to Penn Station (~45mins or less) and we were broadly thinking about the following towns:

Port Washington
Lynbrook
Rockeville Center
Baldwin
Freeport
Merrick

Short drive to a LIRR is ok (doesn't have to be walking distance although that'd be nice) and we mainly would like more space / more green than what you can find in the city. What are the pros/cons of north shore / Port W and similar (more expensive / longer commute?) vs some of the above listed towns on the south? Are the southern shore towns much more densely populated than the northern ones?

Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 07:33 AM

487 posts, read 1,374,727 times
I vote for Rockville Centre. Taxes are a little high in comparison to the other towns, but the village is well maintained. Beautiful homes can be found in your price range. Good schools, should that ever be a consideration. Beautiful main street (Park Avenue). Very close to excellent healthcare. Has its own rec center and green spaces.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:06 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Check out Stewart Manor. You can walk to the station from anywhere in the very small village....very tight knit community and you can walk to shopping on Covert Ave too.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:09 AM

874 posts, read 728,367 times
how much are you paying in taxes now? if your not careful you might end up paying $30,000 a year in taxes. if you go live in port washington be prepared to pay at least $50,000 in taxes a year.

if you have $50,000 a year to give away each and every year, for the rest of your life, go for it.

and their taxes are about $25,000 - $30,000 a year in the other towns, but it could be as high as $40-50 thousand if you pick the wrong house and the town comes in and raises your taxes after the fact

also all the towns you listed sit on top of a toxic plume, and long island has the highest rate of CANCER in the western hemisphere. you should use this information to bring down the price of your home, its coming out now that all the ground water in long island, is poisoned

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long...ouse-long.html

Riverhead is suing three companies who they say are responsible for manufacturing, selling and promoting products containing toxic perfluorinated compounds that ended up in local drinking water supply wells.
The lawsuit, which was filed Feb. 25 at U.S. Eastern District Court in Central Islip, alleges that The 3M Company, DuPont and The Chemoirs Company — listed as defendants in the case — all "manufactured, marketed, sold, and/or promoted their PFAS (poly-fluoroalkyl substances) products to industrial facilities and consumers in New York," with PFOA and PFOS chemicals ending up in at least 2 of the town’s 17 public drinking water supply wells. The wells are located at the Riverhead Water District's Plant #5, on Middle Road and Northville Turnpike, according to Frank Mancini, Riverhead Water District's superintendent.
The lawsuit further states that for more than 50 years, the defendants "were or should have been aware of the dangers posed to people by exposure to their PFOA and PFOS products (including via drinking water)' yet they "failed to adequately investigate and test their products to ensure they would not cause harm to the public."

Last edited by broke&30; 03-08-2021 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-08-2021, 09:13 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
If your budget is $700k-$850k skip Freeport.

All others are solid.

The nice thing about PW is the train doesnt go thru Jamaica

Old 03-08-2021, 09:34 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
how much are you paying in taxes now? if your not careful you might end up paying $30,000 a year in taxes. if you go live in port washington be prepared to pay at least $50,000 in taxes a year.

if you have $50,000 a year to give away each and every year, for the rest of your life, go for it.

and their taxes are about $25,000 - $30,000 a year in the other towns, but it could be as high as $40-50 thousand if you pick the wrong house and the town comes in and raises your taxes after the fact

also all the towns you listed sit on top of a toxic plume, and long island has the highest rate of CANCER in the western hemisphere. you should use this information to bring down the price of your home, its coming out now that all the ground water in long island, is poisoned

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long...ouse-long.html

Riverhead is suing three companies who they say are responsible for manufacturing, selling and promoting products containing toxic perfluorinated compounds that ended up in local drinking water supply wells.
The lawsuit, which was filed Feb. 25 at U.S. Eastern District Court in Central Islip, alleges that The 3M Company, DuPont and The Chemoirs Company — listed as defendants in the case — all "manufactured, marketed, sold, and/or promoted their PFAS (poly-fluoroalkyl substances) products to industrial facilities and consumers in New York," with PFOA and PFOS chemicals ending up in at least 2 of the town’s 17 public drinking water supply wells. The wells are located at the Riverhead Water District's Plant #5, on Middle Road and Northville Turnpike, according to Frank Mancini, Riverhead Water District's superintendent.
The lawsuit further states that for more than 50 years, the defendants "were or should have been aware of the dangers posed to people by exposure to their PFOA and PFOS products (including via drinking water)' yet they "failed to adequately investigate and test their products to ensure they would not cause harm to the public."
Save it, buddy. The OP is moving from Jersey. High taxes and lots of superfund sites. I'm sure he can figure this out on his own.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:39 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
With your budget, I'd cross off Baldwin and maybe add Oceanside. 4 bedrooms is kind of tough to find in Nassau. If you don't care about schools, take a look at Malverne, although the commute is not as good as the other areas. Malverne does have their own station and a very cute "downtown." What will be your commuting hours because you have to consider parking, which in pre-COVID times, can be very tight during rush hours.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 7,977 times
Thanks for the responses so far - this is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
Right now we're renting (good location / space for the amount of money we're currently paying) but given what's available / the money spent on rent for what we're looking for, buying seems to be the better option.

Are taxes really going to be in the 30-50k range for what we're looking for (2,000+/- sqft / modest sized yard)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
With your budget, I'd cross off Baldwin and maybe add Oceanside. 4 bedrooms is kind of tough to find in Nassau. If you don't care about schools, take a look at Malverne, although the commute is not as good as the other areas. Malverne does have their own station and a very cute "downtown." What will be your commuting hours because you have to consider parking, which in pre-COVID times, can be very tight during rush hours.
I'm usually in the office (post WFH / COVID) between 7-7.30am and leave between 5.30-6.30pm so I was hoping to be early enough so I would not have to worry about finding a parking space the morning.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,752 times
Not buying that ANY public trans commute from LI is 45 mins to Penn on a normal day. Not unless you live at the LIRR station (or at least walk since parking is no picnic). My "commute" to the city (Wantagh-Penn) usually ran closer to 1.5 hours on a good day. 15 mins to the train w parking, 1 hr to Penn, 15 minutes on foot to my desk. Approx. 1.5 hours, door to desk, on a good day. Most days weren't good. lol

Old 03-08-2021, 12:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul0n View Post
Thanks for the responses so far - this is very helpful.

Right now we're renting (good location / space for the amount of money we're currently paying) but given what's available / the money spent on rent for what we're looking for, buying seems to be the better option.

Are taxes really going to be in the 30-50k range for what we're looking for (2,000+/- sqft / modest sized yard)?

I'm usually in the office (post WFH / COVID) between 7-7.30am and leave between 5.30-6.30pm so I was hoping to be early enough so I would not have to worry about finding a parking space the morning.
No don't listen to him he is clueless, look at the name it says it all! It really depends on the town, it won't be near 30k. At your price point 21k max and that would be in RVC they have higher taxes. 50k in Port your buying a 3m home

You will have no issues parking at that time in any lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island