Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 03:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
With your budget, I'd cross off Baldwin and maybe add Oceanside. 4 bedrooms is kind of tough to find in Nassau. If you don't care about schools, take a look at Malverne, although the commute is not as good as the other areas. Malverne does have their own station and a very cute "downtown." What will be your commuting hours because you have to consider parking, which in pre-COVID times, can be very tight during rush hours.
So keep Freeport but not Baldwin?

Whats your rationale for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 03:59 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Unless, he gets a place down by the water, I would cross Freeport off too. You already said it in your post so I didn't want to be redundant. At his price point, he can afford better than the majority of Baldwin and Freeport. I have nothing against Baldwin per se.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:24 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
I DM you earlier. Let me know if interested.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:19 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,727 times
Skip Oceanside all together. If you can afford that much for a house, you can pick better towns. Skip over Baldwin too.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:23 PM

913 posts, read 885,455 times
I would agree with Stewart Manor and also add Garden City Park (South of Jericho Tpke) easy walk to train station and about a 35 min. commute to Penn Station.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Unless, he gets a place down by the water, I would cross Freeport off too. You already said it in your post so I didn't want to be redundant. At his price point, he can afford better than the majority of Baldwin and Freeport. I have nothing against Baldwin per se.
Northern Baldwin is rough i’ll give u that but down by the Harbor & Bay Colony, million dollar homes, it’s gorgeous & Baldwin Park is great also

Old 03-09-2021, 07:28 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,198 times
I wonder sometimes if folks here are just deliberately obtuse when it comes to these things here.

Here are a few very recent wonderful stories about Freeport.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ort-1.50174538
https://patch.com/new-york/freeport/...ntified-police
https://patch.com/new-york/freeport/...rder-officials
https://patch.com/new-york/freeport/...handgun-police

Freeport is overrun with Central American illegals (and all of the problems that come with that issue) and should in no way shape or form be on the radar of someone with a 700-850K budget. Illegal rentals are a huge problem as well. Nassau Road looks like a Texas border town and I highly doubt you would frequent any of the stores there. There are nicer areas (Stearns Park is an area where professional blacks relocated to and still live) and parts by the water but the awful school district and the undesirable elements make even the nicer parts a non option for a new buyer. Toss in the fact that Freeport is an inc. village....absolutely not.

Baldwin is better (but not 850K better) and has been championed as the bastion of diversity by LI standards but generally speaking it is on the decline. Baldwin also recently voted down a huge bond referendum. These huge bond referendums in majority minority districts on Long Island are worrisome/red flags because you are paying for students in illegal rentals. Who wants to pay 850K for a home when the other homes on the street are used as boarding houses and not paying their fair share of the associated taxes and sending 8 kids from one home to the local schools (while you end up paying beaucoup taxes and using private schools).

If the OP is black/Latino (and yes it matters on LI despite what many will say) I understand that it can be daunting/frustrating to find a community with other blacks and Latinos within your budget. Such is life on the Island.

Many longtime residents may still recommend these areas (or select sections) but keep in mind they a) have likely paid off their house and b) built up a good deal of equity...so they aren't facing the large investment that you would be.

Cross both towns off your list.

Last edited by TVR1997; 03-09-2021 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 07:43 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Northern Baldwin is rough i’ll give u that but down by the Harbor & Bay Colony, million dollar homes, it’s gorgeous & Baldwin Park is great also
anyone spending a million to live in Baldwin and/or Freeport should be smacked in the face.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
anyone spending a million to live in Baldwin and/or Freeport should be smacked in the face.
Baldwin is prob one of the most diverse towns on LI. There ARE minorities who have this kind of money and may be more comfortable living in a place like Baldwin.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
The thing with CD comments is 90% of the people commenting are not even in the areas they comment on. Or were there 25 years ago. Lol.

I know if I’m not very familiar with a area then I just don’t comment on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island