We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.8 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01237.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $31,545 (it was $22,250 in 2000)
Hancock town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $231,971 (it was $133,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $258,164; Detached houses: $274,924; Townhouses or other attached units: $187,486; In 2-unit structures: $203,780; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $169,468; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $204,729; Mobile homes: $29,637
Races in Hancock, MA (2010)
- 68695.7%White alone
- 71.0%Two or more races
- 60.8%Asian alone
- 50.7%Black alone
Latest news from Hancock, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Hancock, MA City Guides:
Ancestries: English (20.0%), Irish (19.7%), Italian (18.2%), French (11.5%), German (9.7%), United States (9.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1776
Elevation: 1058 feet
Land area: 35.7 square miles.
Population density: 20 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hancock:
- High school or higher: 89.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.9%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hancock town:
- Never married: 18.4%
- Now married: 67.5%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 8.2%
12 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Hancock, Massachusetts as of July 29, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Hancock to the number of sex offenders is 632 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hancock town:||0.5% ($689)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, NY (25.0 miles , pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (114.7 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (120.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Lanesborough, MA (2.1 miles ), Stephentown, NY (2.3 miles ), New Ashford, MA (2.5 miles ), Pittsfield, MA (2.7 miles ), Cheshire, MA (2.8 miles ), New Lebanon, NY (2.9 miles ), Berlin, NY (3.0 miles ), Dalton, MA (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 5 buildings, average cost: $107,500
- 2000: 4 buildings, average cost: $130,800
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $170,000
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $88,600
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $219,200
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $178,200
- 2005: 14 buildings, average cost: $211,200
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $310,900
- 2008: 4 buildings, average cost: $170,600
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $121,600
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $307,300
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $530,400
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $530,400
- 2013: 3 buildings, average cost: $530,400
- 2014: 2 buildings, average cost: $530,400
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.54 N, Longitude: 73.32 W
Area code: 413
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Health care (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Health care (28%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Social assistance (8%)
- Other transportation, and support activities, and couriers (3%)
- Data processing, libraries, and other information services (3%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Carpenters (3%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
Average climate in Hancock, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hancock-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 25% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.1 miles away from the Hancock town center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/29/1995, a category F4 tornado 24.5 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hancock-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 110.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 135.9 miles away from Hancock center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 109.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 69.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 208.2 miles away from Hancock center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 108.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Berkshire County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Snowstorms: 3, Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Snows: 2, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Hancock:
- HILLCREST COMMONS NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- BERKSHIRE VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION (Home Health Center, about 7 miles away; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- HILLCREST HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 7 miles away; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- MT GREYLOCK EXTENDED CARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- BERKSHIRE MEDICAL CENTER INC Acute Care Hospitals (about 7 miles away; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- CENTER FOR OPTIMUM CARE-BERKSHIRE (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; PITTSFIELD, MA)
- BERKSHIRE PLACE (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; PITTSFIELD, MA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hancock:
- Williams College (about 13 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- Hudson Valley Community College (about 22 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 9,346)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (about 23 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 6,940)
- The Sage Colleges (about 24 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 2,499)
- Siena College (about 26 miles; Loudonville, NY; FT enrollment: 3,153)
- The College of Saint Rose (about 26 miles; Albany, NY; FT enrollment: 4,085)
- SUNY at Albany (about 28 miles; Albany, NY; FT enrollment: 15,490)
Public elementary/middle school in Hancock:
- HANCOCK ELEMENTARY (Students: 44, Location: 3080 HANCOCK ROAD, Grades: PK-6)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- When I was a younger man, I hunted Hancock valley every deer season. I stumbled upon an old family burial site in the wood that seems to have been forgotten, if even known of. The family name was Hakes. There were two grave stones partialy legible, one being that of a two or three year old boy who died in 1802 or 1803. I am 75 years old and am no longer able to walk in the woods. This cemetary is in the woods above the brook, behind the Town Cemetary. Does anyone know anything about this family or burial site? I have spoken with residents of the valley and so far have found no one with knowledge of this family. I would appreciate any information that anyone has concerning this cemetary and its residents. Each year that I hunted the valley, I would go to this site and pay homage to its long departed family. added by firstname.lastname@example.org
Notable locations in Hancock: Jiminy Peak Ski Area (A), Hancock Fire Department Station 2 (B), Hancock Fire Department Station 1 Headquarters (C), Hancock Town Hall (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Gardner Cemetery (1), Hancock Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Cranberry Pond (A), Berry Pond (B), Twin Pond (C), Shaker Reservoir (D), Tilden Swamp (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Whitman Brook (A), Red Oak Brook (B), Rathburn Brook (C), North Branch Mount Lebanon Brook (D), Jones Brook (E), Bentley Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Hancock include: Bates Memorial State Park (1), Forbush Wildlife Sanctuary (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 79.1. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.233. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 7.2 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 2.04. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 28.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 14.3. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 16.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 9.78. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hancock town (based on Berkshire County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Berkshire County:||2.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Berkshire County:||1.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Berkshire County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||15.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
3.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,056 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($441 average AGI)
Berkshire County: 0.04% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hampden County, MA||0.18% ($40,323 average AGI)|
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.13% ($77,300)|
|from Hampshire County, MA||0.11% ($24,695)|
3.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($42,710 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($772 average AGI)
Berkshire County: 0.07% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hancock:
- WUHN (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WBEC (1420 AM; 1 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WBRK (1340 AM; 1 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WBRK, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTMM (1300 AM; 5 kW; RENSSELAER, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSBS (860 AM; 3 kW; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hancock:
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WBEC-FM (105.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WUPE (95.9 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WHVP (91.1 FM; HUDSON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBRK-FM (101.7 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WBRK, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WMNB (100.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WAMQ (105.1 FM; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: WAMC)
- WAJZ (96.3 FM; VOORHEESVILLE, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZMR (104.9 FM; ALTAMONT, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WYJB (95.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGNA-FM (107.7 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
- WRVE (99.5 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMHT-FM (89.1 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: WMHT EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- WAMK (90.9 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: W A M C)
- WPYX (106.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WFGB (89.7 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Hancock:
- WCDC-TV (Channel 19; ADAMS, MA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF ALBANY, INC.)
- W38DL (Channel 38; ADAMS, ETC., MA; Owner: WNYT-TV, LLC)
- WNGN-LP (Channel 26; TROY, NY; Owner: BRIAN A. LARSON)
Hancock fatal accident list:
Mar 14, 2012 08:20 PM, Us-20 Lebanon Mountain Road, Lat: 42.44756, Lon: -73.37425, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Apr 27, 2012 08:09 PM, Brodie Mountain Road, Lat: 42.56235, Lon: -73.28822, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Oct 14, 1998 06:40 AM, Us-20, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Mar 2, 1995 05:23 PM, Rte 43, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Jul 21, 1988 08:05 AM, Rte.28, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 6m20ftTotal length
- $1,186,000Total costs
- 5,910Total average daily traffic
- 354Total average daily truck traffic
- 9,333Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Hancock)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- E Us Rt 20 1/2mi W Rts 41 & 20 (Lat: 42.438694 Lon: -73.361500), Call Sign: KNAV435, Licensee ID: L00015054
Assigned Frequencies: 47.6800 MHzGrant Date: 12/16/2000, Expiration Date: 02/26/2011, Cancellation Date: 04/30/2011Registrant: L R Sweatland Inc, Pittsfield, MA 01201, Phone: (413) 443-6461
- Lat: 42.558333 Lon: -73.293556, Call Sign: WQBC332
Assigned Frequencies: 160.155 MHzGrant Date: 08/30/2014, Expiration Date: 09/17/2024, Certifier: Tammy WoodmanRegistrant: Business Radio Licensing, 30251 Golden Lanter Suite E #501, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677, Phone: (949) 348-8510, Fax: (949) 348-8514, Email:
- Lat: 42.555389 Lon: -73.291861, Call Sign: WQWP659
Assigned Frequencies: 461.437 MHz, 466.437 MHzGrant Date: 10/20/2015, Expiration Date: 10/20/2025, Certifier: Paul MaloneyRegistrant: Kassbohrer All Terrain Vehicles, 8850 Double Diamond Pkwy, Reno, NV 89521, Phone: (775) 857-5000, Fax: (775) 857-5020, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- 5029, Parker Brook Road (Lat: 42.502194 Lon: -73.315528), Type: Tower, Structure height: 36 m, Call Sign: WPXE914
Assigned Frequencies: 17745.0 MHzGrant Date: 03/19/2003, Expiration Date: 03/19/2013, Cancellation Date: 12/27/2007, Certifier: Carol L TackerRegistrant: Cingular Wireless LLC, 5601 Legacy Drive Ms A-3, Plano, TX 75024, Phone: (469) 229-7506, Fax: (469) 229-7295, Email:
- JIMINY, Jiminy Peak (Lat: 42.543583 Lon: -73.287306), Type: Tower, Structure height: 20.4 m, Overall height: 21.6 m, Call Sign: WQKH268Grant Date: 05/18/2009, Expiration Date: 06/01/2023, Certifier: Robert J FurlongRegistrant: Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, 1200 Seventeenth Street, Nw, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 663-8525, Fax: (202) 663-8007, Email:
- HANCOCK BERR, Campsite 13 Berry Pond Circuit Road (Lat: 42.502306 Lon: -73.315556), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 36.6 m, Overall height: 38.4 m, Call Sign: WQTD986
Assigned Frequencies: 10895.0 MHz, 10935.0 MHzGrant Date: 01/14/2014, Expiration Date: 01/14/2024, Certifier: John MondayRegistrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 2200 N. Greenville Ave #1we, Richardson, TX 75082, Phone: (972) 234-7003, Fax: (972) 301-6893, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: N1CD, Previous Call Sign: WB1BTJ, Licensee ID: L01200819, Grant Date: 10/11/2006, Expiration Date: 11/26/2016, Registrant: Carlene M Drake, 11 Main Street, Hancock, MA 01237
- Call Sign: WA1RKS, Licensee ID: L01110326, Grant Date: 01/28/2016, Expiration Date: 04/15/2026, Registrant: Ellis C Foley Jr, Po Box 1055, Hancock, MA 01237
- Call Sign: KC2HNE, Licensee ID: L00325349, Grant Date: 01/20/2011, Expiration Date: 02/14/2021, Certifier: Linda C Burdick, Registrant: Linda C Burdick, Hancock, MA 01237
- Call Sign: K1LMB, Previous Call Sign: KA1QAG, Licensee ID: L00303931, Grant Date: 03/15/2011, Expiration Date: 05/04/2021, Certifier: Marc F Burdick, Registrant: Marc F Burdick, Hancock, MA 01237
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hancock and their reported violations in the past:JIMINY PEAK RESORT (Population served: 1,000, Groundwater):
Past health violations:BEAVER POND MEADOWS (Population served: 160, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (OCT-18-2013)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (2 times from OCT-14-2011 to DEC-20-2011)
- One routine major monitoring violation
- One minor monitoring violation
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUN-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JUL-22-2013)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (55%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (16%)
- Wood (13%)
- Electricity (12%)
- Coal or coke (3%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Hancock compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.