We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||40.8 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04730.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,070 (it was $13,579 in 2000)
Littleton town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $95,353 (it was $61,600 in 2000)
Races in Littleton, ME (2010)
- 97291.0%White alone
- 666.2%American Indian alone
- 100.9%Two or more races
- 30.3%Black alone
|Maine weather thread (908 replies)|
|Why do people think I'm nuts for wanting to move to Aroostook county? (45 replies)|
|Stockholm Cell service (15 replies)|
|Where did you come from? / how long have you been in Maine? / what do you think? (244 replies)|
|Over-the-Air T.V. Reception in Northern Maine (31 replies)|
|Questions about possible relocation to Maine (57 replies)|
Latest news from Littleton, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (21.8%), Irish (19.9%), English (19.6%), French (13.8%), German (6.1%), Scotch-Irish (5.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/18/1856
Elevation: 466 feet
Land area: 38.4 square miles.
Population density: 28 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Littleton:
- High school or higher: 80.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Littleton town:
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 62.8%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 8.2%
50 residents are foreign born (4.5% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Littleton town:||1.0% ($624)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (213.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (314.5 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (479.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Hammond, ME (2.4 miles) , Monticello, ME (2.4 miles ), Houlton, ME (2.7 miles ), Ludlow, ME (3.0 miles ), New Limerick, ME (3.2 miles ), Hodgdon, ME (3.5 miles ), Linneus, ME (3.5 miles ), Bridgewater, ME (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $70,000
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $44,200
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $90,300
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $67,000
- 2005: 15 buildings, average cost: $53,100
- 2006: 8 buildings, average cost: $61,100
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $72,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $40,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.23 N, Longitude: 67.84 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Truck transportation (11%)
- Construction (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Health care (25%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (14%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (9%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (4%)
- Carpenters (3%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
Average climate in Littleton, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Littleton-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 62.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 131.2 miles away from Littleton center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 310.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 354.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 263.8 miles away from Littleton center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 66.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Littleton:
- HOULTON REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 7 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- THE HOULTON REG PROG CARE FAC (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- MADIGAN HOME HEALTH CARE, INC. (Home Health Center, about 8 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- MADIGAN ESTATES (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- FOREST SPRINGS (Hospital, about 8 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- HARMONY (Hospital, about 8 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Littleton:
- University of Maine (about 101 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 108 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 156 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 162 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 211 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 214 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 214 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Notable locations in Littleton: Starkey Corners (A), Littleton Station (B), Littleton Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Littleton Cemetery (1), Henderson Cemetery (2), Weed Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Britton Lake (A), Carry Lake (B), Deep Lake (C), Long Lake (D), Monson Lake (E), Ross Lake (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Big Brook (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 25.5. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 19.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.3 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Littleton town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Littleton:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Littleton:
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
TV broadcast stations around Littleton:
- WAGM-TV (Channel 8; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: NEPSK, INC.)
- Littleton, Maine
- Fatal accident count11
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents21
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:3
- Persons involved in fatal accidents40
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents0
- Maine average
- Fatal accident count59
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents84
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons23
- Persons involved in fatal accidents143
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents4
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- 280Total average daily traffic
- 17Total average daily truck traffic
- 420Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Town Office Us Route 1 North Road (Lat: 46.232000 Lon: -67.841972), Type: Building, Structure height: 12 m, Call Sign: WPXM284
Assigned Frequencies: 154.965 MHzGrant Date: 03/05/2013, Expiration Date: 05/02/2023, Certifier: Dwight CowperthwaiteRegistrant: Aroostook Technologies Inc, 4 Airport Drive, Presque Isle, ME 04769, Phone: (207) 762-9321, Fax: (207) 764-1463, Email:
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers:1
- Gillen Rd 1.6 Mi E Of Back Ridge Rd (Lat: 46.202000 Lon: -67.878361), Structure height: 0 m, Call Sign: KPN752
Assigned Frequencies: 450.980 MHzGrant Date: 02/02/1995, Expiration Date: 04/01/1998, Cancellation Date: 09/24/2000Registrant: Peak Communications Inc, Houlton, ME 04730, Phone: (207) 532-6587
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: KF2HK, Previous Call Sign: KB2LDV, Licensee ID: L00572649, Grant Date: 04/17/2013, Expiration Date: 03/09/2023, Certifier: Paul N Klein, Registrant: Paul N Klein, 254 Ross Ridge Road, Littleton, ME 04730
- Call Sign: N1IGL, Previous Call Sign: KA1WJX, Licensee ID: L00284743, Grant Date: 08/30/2010, Expiration Date: 11/27/2020, Certifier: Sally A Henderson, Registrant: Sally A Henderson, 1170 Us Hwy 1, Littleton, ME 04730
- Call Sign: W1NZ, Licensee ID: L00274491, Grant Date: 10/10/2007, Expiration Date: 12/19/2017, Certifier: F Gerald Henderson, Registrant: F Gerald Henderson, 1170 Us Hwy 1, Littleton, ME 04730
- Call Sign: N1PX, Previous Call Sign: KB1DQL, Licensee ID: L00244843, Grant Date: 12/17/2010, Expiration Date: 02/13/2021, Certifier: Roger N Stairs, Registrant: Roger N Stairs, 1844 Us Hwy 1, Littleton, ME 04730-6117
- Call Sign: KB1JBL, Licensee ID: L00598444, Grant Date: 11/28/2012, Expiration Date: 11/22/2022, Certifier: Minabel A Stairs, Registrant: Minabel A Stairs, 1954 Us Hwy I, Littleton, ME 04730
Drinking water stations with addresses in Littleton and their reported violations in the past:WILDERNESS PINES CAMPGROUND (Population served: 220, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 14 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (84%)
- Wood (14%)
- Electricity (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Littleton compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Littleton on our top lists:
- #72 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Northern America (population 500+)"
- #72 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Canada (population 500+)"
- #19 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest carbon monoxide air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
- #22 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #29 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2010 and 2011"
- #34 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2011"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest Particulate Matter (PM2.5) Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"