We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||42.4 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 53581.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $32,218 (it was $20,823 in 2000)
Orion town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $150,288 (it was $91,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $170,581; Detached houses: $179,014; Townhouses or other attached units: $382,410; In 2-unit structures: $193,238; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $157,889; Mobile homes: $38,973; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $25,898
Races in Orion, WI (2010)
- 56297.1%White alone
- 30.5%Two or more races
- 20.3%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Black alone
- 10.2%Asian alone
Latest news from Orion, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (49.5%), Irish (15.9%), English (12.6%), Norwegian (11.6%), United States (6.2%), Polish (3.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 720 feet
Land area: 35.8 square miles.
Population density: 16 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Orion:
- High school or higher: 83.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Orion town:
- Never married: 18.6%
- Now married: 68.7%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 6.6%
4 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Orion town:||1.4% ($1,257)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Madison, WI (50.8 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (168.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Sextonville, WI (2.1 miles ), Gotham, WI (2.2 miles) , Buena Vista, WI (2.3 miles ), Richland Center, WI (2.4 miles ), Avoca, WI (2.4 miles ), Muscoda, WI (2.4 miles ), Richland, WI (2.5 miles ), Ithaca, WI (2.7 miles ).
Latitude: 43.26 N, Longitude: 90.37 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 608
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Construction (15%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (5%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Food (4%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Health care (13%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
Average climate in Orion, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Orion-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Wisconsin state average. It is 50% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/11/1965, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 7.9 miles away from the Orion town center killed one person and injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/7/1984, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 28.0 miles away from the town center killed 9 people and injured 200 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Orion-area historical earthquake activity is above Wisconsin state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 356.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 145.3 miles away from Orion center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 333.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 116.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 356.1 miles away from Orion center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 389.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Richland County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 13, Tornadoes: 7, Mudslides: 2, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: George H. Hodges - Politician.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Orion:
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville (about 37 miles; Platteville, WI; Full-time enrollment: 7,679)
- Edgewood College (about 50 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (about 51 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 34,621)
- University of Wisconsin Colleges (about 51 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 10,019)
- Madison Area Technical College (about 54 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 9,603)
- Herzing University-Madison (about 55 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 3,160)
- Viterbo University (about 58 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 2,848)
Notable locations in Orion: Collins Dairy and Stock Farm (A), Englewood Farm (B), Mapleton Stock and Grain Farm (C), Spring Brook Farm (D), Woodside Stock and Sheep Farm (E), Indian Creek Stock Farm (F), Walnut Grove Stock and Dairy Farm (G), Wisconsin Valley Fruit and Stock Farm (H), Beaver Dam Stock Farm (I), Clearview Stock Farm (J), Fernview Dairy Farm (K), High Lawn Stock Farm (L), Hillside Stock Farm (M), Oak Ridge Holstein Farm (N), Pine Knoll Stock Farm (O), Pine Lawn Stock Farm (P), Pleasant Valley Stock Farm (Q), Pompeiis Pillar Farm (R), River Valley Farm (S), Running Brook Stock Farm (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Orion: Ash Creek United Methodist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Ash Creek Cemetery (1), Indian Creek Cemetery (2), Oak Ridge Cemetery (3), Mayfield Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: .37 Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creeks: Indian Creek (A), Snake Creek (B), Ash Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Orion: Orion Mussel Bed State Natural Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Orion town (based on Richland County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Richland County:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Richland County:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Richland County:||5.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.42% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,333 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Sauk County, WI||0.91% ($31,656 average AGI)|
|from Grant County, WI||0.67% ($22,422)|
|from Vernon County, WI||0.57% ($29,842)|
5.98% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,382 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Orion:
- WRCO (1450 AM; 1 kW; RICHLAND CENTER, WI; Owner: FRUIT BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTSO (1070 AM; 10 kW; MADISON, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKTY (580 AM; 5 kW; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WLMV (1480 AM; 10 kW; MADISON, WI; Owner: MID-WEST MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WTDY (1670 AM; 10 kW; MADISON, WI; Owner: MID-WEST MANAGEMENT, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Orion:
- WRCO-FM (100.9 FM; RICHLAND CENTER, WI; Owner: FRUIT BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WHHI (91.3 FM; HIGHLAND, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WOLX-FM (94.9 FM; BARABOO, WI; Owner: ENTERCOM MADISON LICENSE, LLC.)
- WJTY (88.1 FM; LANCASTER, WI; Owner: JOY PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WERN (88.7 FM; MADISON, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WVCX (98.9 FM; TOMAH, WI; Owner: VCY AMERICA, INC.)
- WIBA-FM (101.5 FM; MADISON, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDMP-FM (99.3 FM; DODGEVILLE, WI; Owner: DODGE POINT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNFM (104.9 FM; REEDSBURG, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Orion:
- WDLS-LP (Channel 35; TOMAH, WI; Owner: MAGNUM RADIO, INC.)
- WISC-TV (Channel 3; MADISON, WI; Owner: TELEVISION WISCONSIN, INC.)
- WMSN-TV (Channel 47; MADISON, WI; Owner: WMSN LICENSEE, LLC)
- WKOW-TV (Channel 27; MADISON, WI; Owner: WKOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WHA-TV (Channel 21; MADISON, WI; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS OF THE UNIV. OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 13Number of bridges
- 16m52ftTotal length
- $298,000Total costs
- 8,070Total average daily traffic
- 564Total average daily truck traffic
- 10,806Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (72%)
- Wood (16%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (5%)
- Electricity (5%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Orion compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.