Star City, Indiana
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||31.2 years|
|Indiana median age:||37.3 years|
Zip codes: 46985.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,725 (it was $14,168 in 2000)
Star City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $69,857 (it was $39,200 in 2000)
Races in Star City, IN (2010)
- 34399.7%White alone
Latest news from Star City, IN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (29.7%), Irish (18.8%), English (11.6%), Scotch-Irish (5.1%), Swedish (3.3%), Italian (2.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 719 feet
Land area: 1.06 square miles.
Population density: 326 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Star City:
- High school or higher: 100.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.2%
- Unemployed: 1.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Star City CDP:
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 63.5%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 0.0%
- Divorced: 14.5%
According to our research of Indiana and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Star City, Indiana as of May 24, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Star City to the number of sex offenders is 115 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $641 (0.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lafayette, IN (42.3 miles , pop. 56,397).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Wayne, IN (75.0 miles , pop. 205,727).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (83.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Winamac, IN (2.5 miles ), Royal Center, IN (2.8 miles ), Kewanna, IN (2.9 miles ), Buffalo, IN (3.4 miles ), Monterey, IN (3.7 miles ), Burnettsville, IN (3.8 miles ), Fulton, IN (3.9 miles ), Idaville, IN (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 40.97 N, Longitude: 86.56 W
Area code: 574
Unemployment by year (%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (33%)
- Manufacturing (26%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Health care and social assistance (44%)
- Educational services (39%)
- Retail trade (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Manufacturing (0%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (33%)
- Management occupations (21%)
- Production occupations (20%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Architecture and engineering occupations (6%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (0%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (39%)
- Health technologists and technicians (27%)
- Healthcare support occupations (17%)
- Sales and related occupations (17%)
- Management occupations (0%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (0%)
- Computer and mathematical occupations (0%)
Average climate in Star City, Indiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Star City-area historical tornado activity is near Indiana state average. It is 92% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/17/1963, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.9 miles away from the Star City place center killed one person and injured 70 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/20/1976, a category F4 tornado 27.1 miles away from the place center injured 8 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Star City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Indiana state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 188.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 164.6 miles away from Star City center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 236.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 216.6 miles away from the city center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 118.4 miles away from Star City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 185.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pulaski County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 4, Winter Storms: 4, Tornadoes: 3, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Star City:
- PEAK COMMUNITY SERVICES INC (Hospital, about 5 miles away; WINAMAC, IN)
- PEAK COMMUNITY SERVICES INC (Hospital, about 6 miles away; WINAMAC, IN)
- PULASKI HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; WINAMAC, IN)
- PULASKI MEMORIAL HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 7 miles away; WINAMAC, IN)
- PULASKI MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 7 miles away; WINAMAC, IN)
- HICKORY CREEK AT WINAMAC (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; WINAMAC, IN)
- WINAMAC NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; WINAMAC, IN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Star City:
- Indiana University-Kokomo (about 42 miles; Kokomo, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,500)
- Purdue University-Main Campus (about 43 miles; West Lafayette, IN; FT enrollment: 38,271)
- Valparaiso University (about 43 miles; Valparaiso, IN; FT enrollment: 3,542)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (about 46 miles; Westville, IN; FT enrollment: 3,682)
- Indiana University-South Bend (about 51 miles; South Bend, IN; FT enrollment: 5,563)
- University of Notre Dame (about 54 miles; Notre Dame, IN; FT enrollment: 12,214)
- Indiana Wesleyan University (about 57 miles; Marion, IN; FT enrollment: 13,681)
Notable location: Star City Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This place:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.8% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Star City CDP (based on Pulaski County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pulaski County:||2.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana:||1.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pulaski County:||0.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana:||0.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pulaski County:||5.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.78 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Star City, IN Residents
5.17% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,865 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Starke County, IN||0.79% ($21,350 average AGI)|
|from White County, IN||0.56% ($25,107)|
|from Jasper County, IN||0.52% ($32,615)|
6.15% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,425 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Star City:
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WVIV (1200 AM; 20 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLXX-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- WDND (1620 AM; 10 kW; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: ARTISTIC MEDIA PARTNERS, INC.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBAA (920 AM; 5 kW; WEST LAFAYETTE, IN; Owner: PURDUE UNIVERSITY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Star City:
- WFRI (100.1 FM; WINAMAC, IN; Owner: PROGRESSIVE BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC)
- WMRS (107.7 FM; MONTICELLO, IN; Owner: GERALD NORMAN QUINN)
- WHZR (103.7 FM; ROYAL CENTER, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO GROUP OF)
- WXXB (102.9 FM; DELPHI, IN; Owner: STAY TUNED BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLHM (102.3 FM; LOGANSPORT, IN; Owner: LOGANSPORT RADIO CORP)
- WROI (92.1 FM; ROCHESTER, IN; Owner: BAIR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKVI-FM (99.3 FM; KNOX, IN; Owner: KANKAKEE VALLEY B/CING. CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Star City:
- WYIN (Channel 56; GARY, IN; Owner: NORTHWEST INDIANA PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:7
- Call Sign: K9OPK, Licensee ID: L00276910, Grant Date: 08/18/2000, Expiration Date: 11/06/2010, Cancellation Date: 12/05/2004, Registrant: John Binkley, 626 W 750 S, Star City, IN 46985-8873
- Call Sign: K9OXT, Grant Date: 06/14/1988, Expiration Date: 06/14/1998, Cancellation Date: 06/15/2000, Registrant: Raymond E Penn, Rfd 1, Star City, IN 46985
- Call Sign: KA9KZF, Licensee ID: L01059146, Grant Date: 09/02/2005, Expiration Date: 11/28/2015, Certifier: Robert M Thomas, Registrant: Robert M Thomas, 8971 S 200 W, Star City, IN 46985
- Call Sign: N9LUE, Grant Date: 06/25/1991, Expiration Date: 06/25/2001, Cancellation Date: 06/26/2003, Registrant: Scott L Moss, Star City, IN 46985
- Call Sign: KB9ZKF, Licensee ID: L00348379, Grant Date: 03/30/2011, Expiration Date: 04/19/2021, Certifier: Frank T Allen, Registrant: Frank T Allen, 7805 S State Road 119, Star City, IN 46985-8709
- Call Sign: KD7NUW, Licensee ID: L00376813, Grant Date: 07/11/2001, Expiration Date: 07/11/2011, Cancellation Date: 12/16/2008, Certifier: Robert L Galbreath, Registrant: Robert L Galbreath, 861 W 600 S, Star City, IN 46985
- Call Sign: W9RLG, Previous Call Sign: KD7NUW, Licensee ID: L00376813, Grant Date: 12/16/2008, Expiration Date: 12/16/2018, Certifier: Robert L Galbreath, Registrant: Robert L Galbreath, 861 W 600 S, Star City, IN 46985
Drinking water stations with addresses in Star City and their reported violations in the past:OAK GROVE RESTAURANT (Population served: 158, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:POND VIEW GOLF COURSE (Population served: 38, Groundwater):
- 4 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 18
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - Star City
|Most common first names in Star City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Star City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (92%)
- Electricity (7%)
Star City compared to Indiana state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2016.