Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 09:09 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
Well, the "clicking" Bushmen do practice shamanic "ecstatic shaking," although many of them are apparently "mixed" from Eurasian back migration and a dying breed often bullied by other African tribes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfUHQ2kCg1U

The comments from the Botswana gov't official what a joke what a buffoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
They do shamans and black magic and a multitude of deities exist in africa

Old 09-11-2015, 12:52 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Afrikans have their own religions and spirituality that predates the foreign religions imposed on most of them from the invading Europeans and Arabs. Many tribes still retain their spiritual philosophies and customs as well. As for us African Americans/Moors, not all of us are wrapped up in the Christian religion (especially in its current concept) and even Islam. A good number of us have been waking up from the whitewashed/Eurocentric concept of world history, most particularly the history of the Melanated People and our influences and presence in Asia, Europe, the so-called "Middle East", pre-Columbian Amexum (the New World), and of course, Alkebulan (Afrika) herself. You can always just as easily do the research online outside of C-D to get your answers OP. Ase.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Even the biggest animist religion has less has 2-5 million followers I think traditional Yoruba is the biggest as it is the poster child for African Animism).
Are there Africans who still self identify as purely Yoruba, instead of say, Christians or Muslims with Yoruba cultural traditions?

Though I have not met rural Africans, the city people that I have met all seemed to be 100% Christian or Moslem. I did see a news paper article in Ghana about an Indian who followed the "bush religion". Judging by the photos of the interior of his temple, he seemed to be mixing Hinduism and indigenous beliefs.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Interestingly, nearly all modern religions come out of Asia: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism, Taoism, Shintoism, Jainism, etc.

There is even a statue in New York City near the World Trade Center called "Asia - The Mother Of Religion."

I think - and I may be wrong - but African people have put their own unique stamp on whatever religion they follow.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:48 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Interestingly, nearly all modern religions come out of Asia: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Baha'i, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism, Taoism, Shintoism, Jainism, etc.

There is even a statue in New York City near the World Trade Center called "Asia - The Mother Of Religion."

I think - and I may be wrong - but African people have put their own unique stamp on whatever religion they follow.
These three were built on Egyptian mythology.

Last edited by AFP; 09-12-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 04:09 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
These three were built on Egyptian mythology.
That is your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree.

If anything modern Judaism, Christianity, and Islam were built on Zoroastrianism ... the official religion of the Persian Empire. Zoroastrianism practically invented the concepts of righteousness and sin, a heavenly father (Ahura Mazda, the Wise Lord), a code of religious commandments, etc. Remember the story about new born Jesus being visited by the Magi? Does anyone know who the Magi were? No - they were not three "kings" ... the Magi were Zoroastrian priests. The conflict of good and evil, light and dark, god and devil are hallmarks of Zoroastrianism. That is why Buddhists, Taoists and followers of more eastern religions cannot relate to western notions of sinners and redemption.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
That is your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree.

If anything modern Judaism, Christianity, and Islam were built on Zoroastrianism ... the official religion of the Persian Empire. Zoroastrianism practically invented the concepts of righteousness and sin, a heavenly father (Ahura Mazda, the Wise Lord), a code of religious commandments, etc. Remember the story about new born Jesus being visited by the Magi? Does anyone know who the Magi were? No - they were not three "kings" ... the Magi were Zoroastrian priests. The conflict of good and evil, light and dark, god and devil are hallmarks of Zoroastrianism. That is why Buddhists, Taoists and followers of more eastern religions cannot relate to western notions of sinners and redemption.
I don't disagree that Zorastrianism had contributions I am not an expert on religion but have some interest.I found some of the info. in this video interesting. I do not consider myself to be religious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM9-8qj_Js8

Old 09-14-2015, 10:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Most Yoruba's self identify as Yoruba in West Africa, My parents and grand parents do this weird thing were they can accurately tell which Nigerian ethnic group your from based on facial features. It is almost scary as 90% of the time they are right and to me these people just look like West Africans. I myself can only tell East Africans from West Africans and have a little trouble with Southern Africans from West Africans.
Since most Yoruba people in Nigeria live in a specific Yoruba homeland they identify as Yoruba people before Christian and Muslim, it is only when you see Yoruba people in America that you see them state their nation and religion first. For example Hausa's told me they were Hausa when I met them in Turkey but told my friends they were Nigerian Muslims, it depends on who they are talking to. Since I am half- Yoruba I say I am Yoruba, as Ijo people live in a specific coastal region of Nigeria where their is 1 or 2 cities that are Ijo majority (250,000+ people) and the rest live in a high density of tiny villages every couple miles around that city. My dad side is rural village living Nigerians and they will always identify as Ijo, as a larger percent of Ijo people are animists but due to the English finding them early when colonizing Africa I think they are still majority christian. My grandmother still believes in the power of a witch doctor liek man, to curse you with evil spirits same with my parents although they aren't as serious, but coming from an incredibly rural society, my grandmother on my dad's side doesn't even know how old she is or her date of birth, as she doesn't have any document stating so.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Africans can't afford powerless religion like other nations. Witchcraft is real and a real pray life and a walk with God is required. Nigerians and Ghanians know about the power of true prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa