Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 12:53 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yeah, just as I thought. Make a statement foolishly claiming (based on your reading of a City-Data thread at that ) that there is nowhere that Africans are valued, and then, when called out for the lack of evidence supporting such a statement, try to turn the tables and demand that the person calling you out for your lack of evidence provide evidence that essentially disproves your evidenceless statement

What kind of topsy-turvy world are we living in where this is considered a coherent rebuttal to anything
And as a final comment, my statement was that no such place exists. A negative statement. The null set, if you will. It is an accepted principle of logic (yes I know logic and math are racist…) that we can’t prove a negative, but it can be disproved. There is no “evidence” that something doesn’t exist. If I say “there is no tooth fairy”, and if you disagree, the burden is on you to prove me wrong. In this case you have made a number of posts saying I’m wrong, but haven’t been able to give any factual examples, which is indeed telling.

Maybe one of your Nigerian millionaire buddies can help you.

Eye roll indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 09:35 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Lol “if you have to ask”……..

I’m still getting spam emails from your “Nigerian millionaire” friends

Btw, still nothing factual in your posts.

And back to my original post “I wonder why that is”.

Thanks again for playing
Just as I thought. No actual evidence to back up your broad claims What, are you going to claim that "Nigerian millionaire" hoaxes mean there aren't actual Nigerian millionaires?

You mentioned that Africans are running to white neighborhoods at every chance that get.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
And as a final comment, my statement was that no such place exists. A negative statement. The null set, if you will. It is an accepted principle of logic (yes I know logic and math are racist…) that we can’t prove a negative, but it can be disproved. There is no “evidence” that something doesn’t exist. If I say “there is no tooth fairy”, and if you disagree, the burden is on you to prove me wrong. In this case you have made a number of posts saying I’m wrong, but haven’t been able to give any factual examples, which is indeed telling.

Maybe one of your Nigerian millionaire buddies can help you.

Eye roll indeed.
You stated much more than that. These are your statements:

Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like there is nowhere that Africans are valued, not even in Africa.

I wonder why that is....
Followed by:

Quote:
I wish that were true, but this thread alone sorta proves otherwise. Africans don't like other Africans. Asians don't like Africans. etc.
You went on to expressly try to prove your statement, ridiculously claiming that this thread is proof that Africans aren't valued anywhere, not even in Africa. That Africans don't like other Africans, Asians don't like Africans, etc. That is a lousy, incoherent attempt to prove your broad, outlandish claims.

Your statements and the "proof" you provide to support them are demonstrably false based on the very thread you claim proves them; hence, my note that it might just be you. Indeed, you have posters in this thread, myself and others, who challenge your position with views to the contrary. This isn't anything like trying to prove the existence of the tooth faith or any other made up concept that you cannot prove, regardless of whether some people would foolishly disagree with you. I value Africans. As do others others even within this thread. Thus, again, from this very thread your statement is proven wrong. You've been proved wrong from second you made the statement and supplied "proof" from this thread to back up your claim as this thread disproves your claim.

Again, it is the height of ridiculousness to make such broad claims that you do and then try to offer proof to back up your sweeping statements based on your reading of a thread on city-data, which--despite being silly in and of itself--doesn't actually provide the proof of your sweeping claims that you think it does

Old 08-01-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Yep, African Americans refers to a specific group from the United States. Notice that people from Latin America that are part or full of African descent aren't considered African Americans. That's how maps such as this one of New York City using data from the US Census are made. If African Americans means anyone from the Americas with partial or full African ancestry, then many of the neighborhoods north of Harlem in Manhattan should have the same green color, yet it has the color of Hispanics. The same regarding the South Bronx, once again orange.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...isions-432230/

A similar ocurrence happens in the "opposite" side regarding the quitesential "non-Hispanic whites," aka most white Americans. This distinction wouldn't be made if they were not focusing that there is a difference between one and the other, even if the simple eyes of most people the many of the two types "look the same or very similar" so to speak.

For example, this woman is Argentinian and is living in Miami for some time. Rest assure that she would be represented by the orange dots despite most people would see her and if she doesn't open her mouth, what is her difference with many "non-Hispanic whites" lookwise?

https://youtu.be/22VROG-XpeQ

The USA and its intrincasy.
I have this conversation every so often with people who claim that merely being an American from Africa makes you an African American. Apart from being historically opposite to how the phase was intended to refer to via ethnic grouping, I've found that those folks who don't fit this historical understanding are very proud of their own heritage and don't want to be assumed to be anything else. Even my friends who are the descendants of recent African immigrants (or African immigrants themselves) generally refer to themselves by their ethnic group or "mother" country nationality.

That said, I do feel that the term African American is a misnomer in some ways. Still, I'll use it in order to avoid confusion about which group of people I'm talking about.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
You stated much more than that. These are your statements:

Followed by:

You went on to expressly try to prove your statement, ridiculously claiming that this thread is proof that Africans aren't valued anywhere, not even in Africa. That Africans don't like other Africans, Asians don't like Africans, etc. That is a lousy, incoherent attempt to prove your broad, outlandish claims.

Your statements and the "proof" you provide to support them are demonstrably false based on the very thread you claim proves them; hence, my note that it might just be you. Indeed, you have posters in this thread, myself and others, who challenge your position with views to the contrary. This isn't anything like trying to prove the existence of the tooth faith or any other made up concept that you cannot prove, regardless of whether some people would foolishly disagree with you. I value Africans. As do others others even within this thread. Thus, again, from this very thread your statement is proven wrong. You've been proved wrong from second you made the statement and supplied "proof" from this thread to back up your claim as this thread disproves your claim.

Again, it is the height of ridiculousness to make such broad claims that you do and then try to offer proof to back up your sweeping statements based on your reading of a thread on city-data, which--despite being silly in and of itself--doesn't actually provide the proof of your sweeping claims that you think it does
Nice rant plus a sad little personal attack but yet you still haven’t given us the name of a place or culture that would prove me.wrong. Why is that? Name the country or culture and then we can discuss that particular place. But so far you got nothin’ and all you’ve given us is your frustrations.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Nice rant plus a sad little personal attack but yet you still haven’t given us the name of a place or culture that would prove me.wrong. Why is that? Name the country or culture and then we can discuss that particular place. But so far you got nothin’ and all you’ve given us is your frustrations.
Personal attack? Hardly. I criticized your poorly articulated and sweeping rant against an entire group of people

Also as discussed your comments went beyond just countries, though the broad notion of no countries where Africans are respected based on a reading of a city data forum is still bizarre. It also touched on entire races of people (both interracially and intraracially) disliking another entire race of people. That’s foolish and baseless, and certainly not supported by this thread despite your claims to the contrary. Again, your reasoning and broad, sweeping statements in these regards are incoherent and ridiculous (NOT you in case that needed to be clarified). You made the statement and asked if it was “just me.” You seem to think it’s not just you, but your effort to support your position is ridiculous (again, your effort, not you). I merely question your claim, and ask you to provide credible evidence to support your sweeping statements.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 08-01-2023 at 11:33 PM..

Old 08-02-2023, 09:49 AM

Dude! All you have to do to prove me wrong is name a place/culture that shows otherwise. It shouldn’t be difficult. Until you can do that, every one of your posts is a waste, and my original post stands valid.

I’m done here. You can have the last word.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 08-02-2023 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-02-2023, 08:12 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,624,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

The reason I emphasized the role of media images is because I've read other articles like the one I posted where many Africans coming to the U.S would often get asked questions that they felt were weired. Like:

"Do Africans live in trees?"

"Do you keep lions as pets?"

"Do you live in the jungle?"

"Do you speak "African"? etc

I guess the question is what are Americans learning about Africa that would cause them not to ask questions like these?
I would say who ever asked those questions are not very smart people. Ignorant at best, and plain idiotic at worst. They are not typical questions that a sensible person would ask in all seriousness. I'd have a hard time taking serious anybody who asked those questions. They insult people's intelligence.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:35 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,624,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
My father never cared for AAs. I have difficulty interacting with them myself. We just do not have anything in common.
You should probably not live in a place that has a high percentage of blacks as everyday life would be difficult for you. A place like Utah, Montana, Dakotas, Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire would be a better fit.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:24 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
I have this conversation every so often with people who claim that merely being an American from Africa makes you an African American. Apart from being historically opposite to how the phase was intended to refer to via ethnic grouping, I've found that those folks who don't fit this historical understanding are very proud of their own heritage and don't want to be assumed to be anything else. Even my friends who are the descendants of recent African immigrants (or African immigrants themselves) generally refer to themselves by their ethnic group or "mother" country nationality.

That said, I do feel that the term African American is a misnomer in some ways. Still, I'll use it in order to avoid confusion about which group of people I'm talking about.
Recent Africans are from the nation or the ethnicity. So one can he a Yoruba American, or a Ghanaian American. "Africa" is a loose concept that those from that continent only embrace when they leave that continent. So much so that there are arguments about whether Moroccans are "African" or not. There are Moroccans who would say "no", even as Morocco is in Africa. There are Nigerians who would say "hell no, because of attitudes towards black Africans that many Moroccans embrace.

NONE of these people who have direct connections to Africa call themselves "African American". These are just people being used against black Americans who use the term "African American" in the same way as do others use Irish America, Italian American, etc. Except of course they have no idea of their specific African point of origin, and in any case most black Americans represent various blends of everything from Senegal down to Angola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa