U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2018, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,403 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8007

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What is your point? I don't understand what you are talking about. We were talking about the life style of home owners vs tenants. .
No, we were talking about Africa. Maybe due for a forum change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2018, 06:43 PM
 
24,200 posts, read 17,594,752 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What is your point? I don't understand what you are talking about. We were talking about the life style of home owners vs tenants.
I never said anything about foreign investment. I know Portugal is booming, I know it better than you ever will because I live here.
You know it, whether you are truthful in your presentation of it is an entirely different matter. Yes, there's a very wealthy class of homeowners living much better than the average tenant in Portugal. THAT was my point, and that's quite obvious wherever you get lots of investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 07:14 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,384 posts, read 19,308,072 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You know it, whether you are truthful in your presentation of it is an entirely different matter. Yes, there's a very wealthy class of homeowners living much better than the average tenant in Portugal. THAT was my point, and that's quite obvious wherever you get lots of investment.
Again, that article doesn't say anything else. We were talking about tenants vs landlords. The foreigners who buy homes in Portugal are not landlords, they buy them for themselves. Landlords on the other hand continue to be Portuguese, most of whom are middle-class people, some are actually not well off at all because there are still contracts where tenants only pay a symbolic rent and have a right to stay in the apartment for life. The state also provides a lot of apartments.

The golden visa program mentioned in your article has kind of stalled meanwhile. There have been various crimes involving Chinese and Russian applicants, so the whole program has a giant backlog. Maybe they will stop it altogether because the people who come here don't benefit the country. Hardly anyone creates jobs, which is one of the options as an alternative to merely buying a home.
Except for real estate agents, hardly anyone benefits from the real estate boom, to the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM
 
24,200 posts, read 17,594,752 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, that article doesn't say anything else. We were talking about tenants vs landlords. The foreigners who buy homes in Portugal are not landlords, they buy them for themselves. Landlords on the other hand continue to be Portuguese, most of whom are middle-class people, some are actually not well off at all because there are still contracts where tenants only pay a symbolic rent and have a right to stay in the apartment for life. The state also provides a lot of apartments.

The golden visa program mentioned in your article has kind of stalled meanwhile. There have been various crimes involving Chinese and Russian applicants, so the whole program has a giant backlog. Maybe they will stop it altogether because the people who come here don't benefit the country. Hardly anyone creates jobs, which is one of the options as an alternative to merely buying a home.
Except for real estate agents, hardly anyone benefits from the real estate boom, to the contrary.
Sure more than the real estate agents benefit from the boom. All those businesses where people are buying homes and when the tourists or the foreigners shop benefit. Those people spend money in other ways, open up local bank accounts, etc. You and your friends may not be benefitting, but there is real business benefit to Portugal and obviously real income and tax benefits.

Portugal won't stop the golden visa. Anything like golden visa or the Sephardic citizenship program always has a backlog, because that is the nature of government agencies all around the world.

A huge portion of the economies in Porto and in Lisbon are based on foreigners moving there and on tourism.

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Soari...in-2017-543493

https://www.timesofisrael.com/new-ci...portugal-city/

Portugal does lots to attract wealthier and more educated foreigners, and things are ramping up as they send their delegations to other countries to promote Portugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 08:51 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,384 posts, read 19,308,072 times
Reputation: 8493
Again, that has nothing to do with our original discussion, where you claimed I was lying about my experiences with landlords. You were simply wrong because you don't know how things work here.

There is no need to attract "more educated" foreigners, the Portuguese are highly educated themselves.
It is merely about money. The Chinese and Russians simply want to buy their way into the EU. Most of them have no interest in living here, they just want to use Schengen. Those programs are regular scum magnets.

Tourism is a shallow business, the plight of the Mediterranean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM
 
24,200 posts, read 17,594,752 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, that has nothing to do with our original discussion, where you claimed I was lying about my experiences with landlords. You were simply wrong because you don't know how things work here.

There is no need to attract "more educated" foreigners, the Portuguese are highly educated themselves.
It is merely about money. The Chinese and Russians simply want to buy their way into the EU. Most of them have no interest in living here, they just want to use Schengen. Those programs are regular scum magnets.

Tourism is a shallow business, the plight of the Mediterranean.
Of course they become citizens to have access to the EU. Portugal deliberately promotes that as one of the benefits of Portuguese citizenship. A lot of Chinese and Eastern Europeans do live in Spain and the same is true of Portugal I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 09:08 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,384 posts, read 19,308,072 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course they become citizens to have access to the EU. Portugal deliberately promotes that as one of the benefits of Portuguese citizenship. A lot of Chinese and Eastern Europeans do live in Spain and the same is true of Portugal I am sure.
Yes, there are lots of Russian mafiosi in southern Spain, everyone knows that.

https://www.globalwitness.org/en/pre...sk-corruption/

The open border approach is really dangerous. Portugal has become a revolving door for the smuggling of human slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,216 posts, read 3,586,386 times
Reputation: 4024
Its amazing that after so much European plunder, that Africa still is the wealthy nation in terms of resources. My Goodness if the people of Africa would just wake up and come together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 AM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,235,492 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Its amazing that after so much European plunder, that Africa still is the wealthy nation in terms of resources. My Goodness if the people of Africa would just wake up and come together.
When did the continent of Africa unite into one nation? I didn't get this memo.


Africa will never unite with everyone sitting around one campfire singing Kumbaya, the world doesn't operate that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,624 posts, read 16,428,799 times
Reputation: 6348
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
When did the continent of Africa unite into one nation? I didn't get this memo.


Africa will never unite with everyone sitting around one campfire singing Kumbaya, the world doesn't operate that way.
Black folks are bizarre in this way of thinking. When was Asia and Europe united as one? Even with the EU, after centuries of bloodshed, Europe isn't united. et Blacks think Africans in Ethiopia should have the same interests and aspirations as Africans in the Congo who should get on the same page as Nigerians simly because they share a land mass and general skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top