Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 06:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I'm not from Portugal but I'm Portuguese by blood, and ancestry. I'm American so I'm Portuguese-American, or Luso-American. Learning about my Portuguese heritage is exploring my history.
I'm not so sure you understood the point Suzy was trying to make!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 07:47 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again, share that source
I did but you ignored it and started arguing about strawman and other things instead of inquiring about what type of information the books contained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
So Jack D Forbes, C.S. Rafinesque, John Ogilby, etc are wrong or lying about things in their works? I guess that's what you are saying. Jack Forbes knows more about this than Chi or you including the DNA aspects of it and I'll rather go with his works over marginalizing melanated people to just one portion on the continent of Africa...it's all good though.
This is post #98 guy. For the 3rd time,
Atlantic Journal and Friend of Knowledge by C.S Rafinesque. https://plus.google.com/100395675925...ts/5rfRVGB5GPX (this gets racist but this he describes the phenotype of a certain group of people here. This account has been out for a VERY long time).

Africans and Native Americans by Jack D. Forbes has many accounts from the Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc of them seeing people who looked similar to "black people."

America: being the latest and most accurate description of the New World by John Ogilby shows the visual descriptions of the type of natives that were seen in America early on.

There are more and more accounts by different explorers all saying the same thing man. If a coincidence keeps occurring it becomes a trend. This argument deserves to be heard (y'all really don't have a choice now) though no matter what.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I did but you ignored it and started arguing about strawman and other things instead of inquiring about what type of information the books contained.

This is post #98 guy. For the 3rd time,
Atlantic Journal and Friend of Knowledge by C.S Rafinesque. https://plus.google.com/100395675925...ts/5rfRVGB5GPX (this gets racist but this he describes the phenotype of a certain group of people here. This account has been out for a VERY long time).

Africans and Native Americans by Jack D. Forbes has many accounts from the Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc of them seeing people who looked similar to "black people."

America: being the latest and most accurate description of the New World by John Ogilby shows the visual descriptions of the type of natives that were seen in America early on.

There are more and more accounts by different explorers all saying the same thing man. If a coincidence keeps occurring it becomes a trend. This argument deserves to be heard (y'all really don't have a choice now) though no matter what.
You can't be serious. LOL.........

Spanish thought Natives were in Indians . "Looking like" is not a good way to form ideas as 'truth". Again, there are no academics that take these theories serious. This has been heard before and the idea has been ruled out along time ago.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:47 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Seriously Tree conspiracy theory that native Americans were black reply another conspiracy theory that DNA science is not accurate cause government apparently doesn't want us blacks to know that native Americans were black.

Sesh

All the quotes I posted were from historical sources. You all don't want to accept the information. This is all playing out the way It's supposed to. GOD will make you accept it. It's only a matter of time.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Spanish thought Natives were in Indians.
WE HAVE A WINNER.

The Spanish also went to Africa and called it "Negroland". In English that's "Black Land". They called the people "black" because that was the color of their skin. Senegalese, Ghanaians, Liberians (the ones who aren't descended from those shipped there from America) are generally DARKER than AAs, who are various shades of brown. You all can say what you want, but aside from being people of color, AAs DO NOT look like West Africans. West Africans know this. White Americans do not because they believe we all look the same. The colonizers came here and saw indigenous people and called them "Indians" because "Indio" in Spanish meanings INDIGENOUS PEOPLE. But you all have been primed to think of a certain "look" when you think "Indian" just like you think of a certain look when you think "black". Despite the majority of AA skin not being black at all. And honestly, most of you all know the difference between a continental African and a black American. You only acknowledge that difference when it suits you. It doesn't suit you in this conversation.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Man, it's all fine & dandy. UrbanLuis, don't be all dramatic and sensitive. You sit there typing empty statements. At least Suzy has something of substance in her replies. You just addressed part of my post but there's more to it. John Ogilby, C.S Rafinesque, and Forbes.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Here is more proof from historical text regarding the naming of people. This is from a book History of the Negro Race in America from 1619 to 1880. For all my CD professors requiring source material, you're in luck. The entire thing is available online.

https://archive.org/details/historyofnegrora00willrich

He writes

Quote:
The term "Ethiopia" was anciently given to all those whose color was darkened by the sun. Herodotus, therefore, distinguishes the Eastern Ethiopians who had straight hair, from the Western Ethiopians who had curly or woolly hair. "They are a twofold people, lying extended in a long tract from the rising to the setting sun."

The conclusion is patent. The words "Ethiopia" and "Cush" were used always to describe a black people, or the country where such a people lived. The term "Negro", from the Latin "niger" and the French "noir", means black; and consequently is a modern term, with all the original meaning of Cush and Ethiopia, with a single exception. We called attention above to the fact that all Ethiopians were not of the pure Negro type, but were nevertheless a branch of the original Hamitic family from whence sprang all the dark races. The term "Negro" is now used to designate the people who, in addition to their dark complexion, have curly or woolly hair. It is in this connection that we shall use the term in this work.

Page 13 (or 39 in electronic form) for the Solid Proof Warriors.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:15 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
AzureKite, since it seems you want to embrace all things Portuguese, have you ever considered immigrating to Portugal and giving up (renounce) your US citizenship? Then you can be an American-Portuguese!
He has to have at least one Portuguese grandparent to qualify for citizenship or invest $500,000 USD to qualify for a golden visa.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:19 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite;53772624[B
]Do you consider your cousin[/b] the same race as you and other Portuguese people? If you saw someone who looked mixed-race, and someone who was 3/4Portuguese, and 1/4 African would you see and consider them Portuguese or mixed-race over your cousin?
He's a genetic distant cousin but that's not the same thing as my cousins I grew up with and know.

I don't consider him Portuguese even though he has Portuguese ancestry. Black Portuguese people do exist though I've met them but he's not one of them and you aren't either.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:38 PM

112 posts, read 62,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
He's a genetic distant cousin but that's not the same thing as my cousins I grew up with and know.

I don't consider him Portuguese even though he has Portuguese ancestry. Black Portuguese people do exist though I've met them but he's not one of them and you aren't either.

I never said I was Black, I'm mixed-race so why would you call me and your cousin Black if were mixed, but call other people mixed-race instead of black? Also He's still your cousin,how is it not the same thing as the cousins you grew up with and know? You don't care about them the same way? Also Would you consider your cousin Portuguese if he was 3/4 or 1/2 Portuguese and looked Portuguese? Would you still say he's Black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa