Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligirlinNawlins View Post
Everybody is racist everywhere, its simply different in other regions. and its not really even racism so much as it is "ism." japanese people hate chinese people, muslems hate jews, white people were discriminated against by other white people for being a different nationality. the world would be a better place if everyone stopped thinking they were the ones whose views were the correct ones and just start accepting people en masse. i.e. who cares what other people do/who they are as long as it doesn't hurt you personally

and the thing i've noticed about southern folks is that more people are extremely polite and helpful but less of them are genuinely warm.

and another thing i've experienced since i've been out here is a real "hate whitey" vibe from some black people. i don't like being the target of someone's inner rage that revolves around something that i had nothing to do with in neither a cultural nor historical context.
Have you heard of the caste culture of India? That is an extremely inhumane existence as well. Another fun fact--Hitler praised our program of forced sterilization on the mentally disabled and of certain groups of immigrants and used it as fodder for his own eugenics program, which eventually grew from forced sterilization to mass genocide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 28,121 times
I was born in Chicago and let me tell you that racism happens everywhere, not just in the South. No matter where you go, you will find rude people and nice people. That is true for NYC, California, Alabama and Chicago - everywhere.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Quote:
Everybody is racist everywhere, its simply different in other regions. and its not really even racism so much as it is "ism." japanese people hate chinese people, muslems hate jews, white people were discriminated against by other white people for being a different nationality. the world would be a better place if everyone stopped thinking they were the ones whose views were the correct ones and just start accepting people en masse. i.e. who cares what other people do/who they are as long as it doesn't hurt you personally

and the thing i've noticed about southern folks is that more people are extremely polite and helpful but less of them are genuinely warm.

and another thing i've experienced since i've been out here is a real "hate whitey" vibe from some black people. i don't like being the target of someone's inner rage that revolves around something that i had nothing to do with in neither a cultural nor historical context.
Bless your heart...I TOTALLY sympathize, especially with your last paragraph. You brilliantly summarized exactly what it's like to live in Albany (GA). Worst place I've ever been. Alabama, as much as it's mocked, is so much better.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 PM

47 posts, read 205,229 times
I think the problem is you see what you want to see. It is out there everywhere and if you are looking for it you will find it. Some of my best days were when I lived overseas. It didn't matter whether you were black or white or hispanic, the only thing that mattered was that you were American.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I totally agree. I lived in Panama Central America. Some ppl who came there hated it the minute they got off the plane.. Others like myself, liked living there. There were many things not to like, but I always concentrated on the good things.

Funny thing was the ppl who hated it and left, were some of the same ppl who wanted to come back after they got back to the states.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Turneed, I snipped most of your post for brevity, but it was a wonderful post. I perceive that you are a person that has his head squarely on his shoulders and have done well or will do well in life. I just wish there were more people around like you.

I thought your comment about Wisconsin (a pretty liberal state) was very interesting. Over the years, I have heard remarks from numerous minorities that living in a liberal state wasn't all it was hyped to be; seems many of these states/areas have a propensity toward hypocrisy in their treatment of persons of color.
I have noticed that as well: many putative 'Liberal' enclaves ain't.

I consider myself to be an Old School Liberal; yet as of late, I am finding myself having more common ground with many self described Conservatives on many issues----------illegal immigration being a biggie.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:

Remember too there is racism within the 'Black' community. Google Blue Vein Society sometime---------it is White Supremacy in all but name.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember too there is racism within the 'Black' community. Google Blue Vein Society sometime---------it is White Supremacy in all but name.
I Googled that, and...OH MY LORD.

I was very happy in Huntsville, and still miss it; we didn't leave there because we were unhappy. We had to move because of my husband's job, and Albany simply does not compare to any civilized place I've ever seen. The fact that someone doesn't enjoy blatant bad treatment doesn't mean that person is simply a malcontent. Claiming they are is like saying "You'd be mad if I shot you with a brand-new gun, wouldn't you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama