Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
...being a CA girl I'm used to dealing with the uncertainty of earthquakes, but not tornados and hurricanes. Can anyone fill me in on how those things affect the areas that you've mentioned here? Also, do you get any snow?Thanks
Birmingham gets snow occasionally. The mountainous areas in northeast Alabama get some snow. But snow in Alabama may last a few hours to a few days and then it's gone. On the other hand, an inch or two of snow immobilizes everything. Tornadoes...usually not that big a deal, be sure you know where the closest shelter is, keep an eye on the sky and the TV weather. Make sure you don't buy or build a house where there has been tornado destruction...these thing seem to run about the same routes. Hurricanes only concern the "foot" of Alabama, Mobile and Gulf Shores and that area. The rest of the state MIGHT get rain and a handful of tornadoes...again, it's just occasionally. Be sure to visit here a couple of times before you commit to move. Alabama is VERY different from California. Good luck, Cali. girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
...city homes might be next to the Norfolk Southern main line...
I believe that line is now known as CSX railroad :-)

Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
Are those home prices real?! They seem low...too low. In SoCal where I live, homes like those semi-close to the beach start at 800K. Forget about 4 acres, more like a 1/4-1/2 out here.
If these are in Cullman, they're about 250 miles north of the beach. Cullman (population about 25,000) is not exactly known for fabulous housing. These look like houses out in the country. Don't expect any granite countertops LOL!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,751 times
ONEONTA
The best Schools
Small Town , but 30 min to one hour away from most Brimingham locals

Old 02-20-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,722 times
Default Visit Mobile, on the coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Alabama this summer. We are looking for a very small town that is laid back and friendly. Our children are elementary school age and were looking for a close knit family oriented place to live. We've been looking in Cullman and Blount Counties. Any information anyone could give me please. Thanks!!!
Mobile is great! Right on the coast!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Decatur, AL is a bigger city with similar pricing but higher crime. Would anyone still recommend Decatur? Is there any safe areas with decent houses priced around $50k, up to $70k?
So sorry I neglected to reply to your inquiry about Decatur. I've lived in Decatur for 40 years. Decatur is a fine small city (pop. 54,000) with good schools, excellent recreation, and some great events such as the hot-air balloon festival, barbecue contest, Civil War re-enactment and America's first wave pool. But, since Decatur is bigger than Cullman, we do have more crime and higher housing prices. We also have a housing shortage thanks to our building department (but that's another story). Like any city, there are areas you would want to avoid. A house that price almost anywhere would probably need some TLC, and probably more than just a coat of paint. Your best bet is to come look in person. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 PM

27 posts, read 159,179 times
i think one of the greatest beaches is Gulf Shores / Orange Beach..my husband and I are hoping to move there within the next year

Old 03-29-2007, 10:33 AM

10 posts, read 51,464 times
Move to Enterprise Al.

Well I am so excited we used to live in Enterprise Al,and we are getting ready to move back if we are so lucky my husband's job is not going to be there for us to go back to so we are finding another job just so we can go back to Enterprise we lived there for 7 months in 04 and just loved it but moved to Canada with his job well it is over and we are coming back . I wounder how things are since the Tornado at the High School. If you have info please let me know .

Linda1943

Old 04-03-2007, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 32,743 times
I personally recommend Shelby Shores. The town is Shelby not far from Columbiana and Calera. It might be what your are looking for. It is a Lake community. Friendly and absolutely beautiful. Moderator cut: removed advertising It is a special place. We will be up there this Easter weekend. I can't wait. I love it there.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Can anyone tell us what homeowners insurance runs on the coast? Is it as bad as Texas and Florida? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama