Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
There is a crew here filming for the second season, nice day today for flying.
Oh, that's very exciting! I suppose I didn't know that they were for sure doing another season. One thing I've noticed: they don't show re-runs of it, like, ever. Meanwhile, the State Troopers are on 24/7. What the hell's up with that?

One thing I was wondering too: why do they not show the dead-of-winter stuff? They seem to only film the airline during the non-winter months, yet the airline runs all year. Wonder if the camera crew just didn't want to hang around Unalakleet in -30˚F?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
They started shooting just before the Iditarod. I'm not sure why they didn't hang out all winter. Probably too dark.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Planes featured on tonight's season 2 opener...

Old 10-29-2011, 05:05 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Of all the Reality shows, this one is one of the better ones... Mostly because the FAA is watching for stupid Plane stunts, and they keep the antics on the ground.

But I like to watch the show, if for nothing else to poke fun at the announcers making statements that are marginal on some points for the drama angle I guess. But still like to watch the flying and planes!

Nobody in their right mind parks a car or truck "with" the wind, but I guess he got off cheap that time... didn't have to sell his McGrath property to buy the truck!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
No, I understand what you're saying: you just aren't interested in the subject matter of the show. Fair enough, really. Your life is wildly outside the experience of almost everyone in the US, living in a village of 152 people in the Arctic, with no roads or anything. That's a very extreme way of living, and while I admire your ability to do it and passion for it, you can't expect the average person to understand what that's like. Also, riding in a plane and flying one are VASTLY different.

Still, I like the show. I like the Tweto's, and the show portrays bush/off-the-road-system living in a positive way. It's the best reality program about Alaska that I've ever seen.
Well to most of the road/city people of Alaska that is the Bush! To the smaller outlining villages, it is "The" town that is serviced by the Flights to Anchorage.

Basically it is in where you are at in relation to the place you are talking about and where it is located.

But I would consider it a town more than the bush, but it is clearly "In" the bush and without airplanes to service it, it would be even more remote than it is!

Regardless, the people there are very friendly.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Planes featured on tonight's season 2 opener...

Nice photos Warp!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
any guesses or actual knowledge on what kind of salaries do pilots make that fly for outfits like on this show? just curious.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
its not dated but here what i found:

Era Aviation Pilots Pay Scale.

Keep in mind the Rate is "Block Time" From the time they 'push back' till they are 'chocked' after they land. They Don't get 'paided' for the time they are loading/unloading, waiting around, preping for the flight. Thats why the hourly rate is higher. All the other stuff they do get pushed into 'block time'

Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
starting Nov 1..."the weather channel" is airing a show called "Coast Guard in Alaska"

Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
yep when i was a Flight Attendant, it was block time. all that time in the crew lounge for check-in, and preboarding checks etc were unpaid. sucked. what really sucked is when we would have mechanical probs e.g. blow a landing gear tire and be stuck at an airport for hours UNPAID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
its not dated but here what i found:

Era Aviation Pilots Pay Scale.

Keep in mind the Rate is "Block Time" From the time they 'push back' till they are 'chocked' after they land. They Don't get 'paided' for the time they are loading/unloading, waiting around, preping for the flight. Thats why the hourly rate is higher. All the other stuff they do get pushed into 'block time'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska