Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It's very common to encounter bears while hunting moose, sheep, deer, and other animals. It means that if you can shoot a big rifle, by all means go for it. Something else, for Alaska hunting it's a lot more convenient to use cartridges that are most common, just in case you have to purchase ammo at the local stores. The most common cartridges in Alaska, by a very wide margin when compared to the rest, are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. There are others that are popular out in the bush, some that are considered quite small. For example, the .30-30 used to be quite popular years ago, but not so much these days.

While physics are important in relation to bullet size and such (SD, BC, etc.), a big bullet that passes through still leaves a big hole behind. A lethal shot (a shot on the right spot), is a lot more important than physics when it comes to killing an animal. For example: a brain shot, a shot to brake the neck (vertebrae), a heart shot, a shot to break the spine, or the brake a bear's shoulder. For most of these shots you want a bullet that can plow through fat and muscle and hold together to break skull or bone. Something else: an arrow-shot animals most often dies from bleeding (because of a wound), not necessarily because of the amount of energy from the arrow.
Yes, but if the bullet doesn't kill the animal immediately it could maul you. It would die eventually but by then you could be dead. Even if a smaller round doesn't kill the animal it can send it into shock eliminating the danger.

This is what elephant hunters in Africa found out, often the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Trapper Creek, near Talkeetna, is a good place to hunt ptarmigan. Also along Petersville Road. A good dog to flush them out is advisable because ptarmigan like to run. They will fly if they have too, but they seem to prefer running more than any other game bird I have encountered.
Is it true that Alaskans refer to ptarmigan as "stupid chickens"?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Only those who cannot spell ptarmigan.

Chicken, Alaska, was so named because they could not agree on how to spell ptarmigan.

Chicken, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Only those who cannot spell ptarmigan.

Chicken, Alaska, was so named because they could not agree on how to spell ptarmigan.

Chicken, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's awesome.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:14 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Spruce grouse are often called "fool hens".

Willow ptarmigan that have been hunted can wise up quickly. They will often flush from 100 yards away. But you can also find them where they will just run.

Or in the mountains the rock ptarmigan will often just sit still and try to blend in. I've bagged several with rocks from just a few feet away.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, but if the bullet doesn't kill the animal immediately it could maul you. It would die eventually but by then you could be dead. Even if a smaller round doesn't kill the animal it can send it into shock eliminating the danger.

This is what elephant hunters in Africa found out, often the hard way.
I just don't understand you logic, I guess. If any bullet, be it small, large, medium weight, as fat and heavy as a brick does not kill the animal right away, there is a chance that it will maul you. I can agree with that, but one should always choose a gun/bullet that can reach the animal's vitals, not just one than can kill a moose shot through the lungs. In Alaska, since one is hunting in bear country, it makes no sense to use just a cartridge that can kill a moose, but one that is powerful enough to break a bear's shoulder as well. That's why most Alaska hunters prefer the tree cartridges I mentioned above, and also because ammo for them is sold all around Alaska. I don't know about you, but given the choice to be hit on the head with a 2"x4" or with a 1/4" stick, I would choose the later.

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-21-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I just don't understand you logic, I guess. If any bullet, be it small, large, medium weight, as fat and heavy as a brick does not kill the animal right away, there is a chance that it will maul you. I can agree with that, but one should always choose a gun/bullet that can reach the animal's vitals, not just one than can kill a moose shot through the lungs. In Alaska, since one is hunting in bear country, it makes no sense to use just a cartridge that can kill a moose, but one that is powerful enough to break a bear's shoulder as well. That's why most Alaska hunters prefer the tree cartridges I mentioned above, and also because ammo for them is sold all around Alaska. I don't know about you, but given the choice to be hit on the head with a 2"x4" or with a 1/4" stick, I would choose the later.
It is about velocity, and that velocity hitting the animal. Bullets have a lot of kinetic energy and if it goes through the animal so does most of the energy. If the bullet stays the Kinetic energy hits them incapacitating them.

Like I mentioned earlier this is what early elephant hunters learned the hardway.

Perhaps modern technology has changed things, but the principle remains the same.

Im saying this more from a physics perspective. I am not a hunter, have never hunted, and never plan to hunt. I have nothing against it, but I love animals and dont want to harm any, except rodents. I am familiar with guns and physics though. My opinion is more from this perspective. I enjoy the conversation, but I dont want anyone to use it as hunting advice.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
It is about velocity, and that velocity hitting the animal. Bullets have a lot of kinetic energy and if it goes through the animal so does most of the energy. If the bullet stays the Kinetic energy hits them incapacitating them.

Like I mentioned earlier this is what early elephant hunters learned the hardway.

Perhaps modern technology has changed things, but the principle remains the same.

Im saying this more from a physics perspective. I am not a hunter, have never hunted, and never plan to hunt. I have nothing against it, but I love animals and dont want to harm any, except rodents. I am familiar with guns and physics though. My opinion is more from this perspective. I enjoy the conversation, but I dont want anyone to use it as hunting advice.
I have hunted moose and other Alaska animals for numerous years already, and don't rely on physics to kill such, but on creating a wound channel or to damage the largest amount of tissue of a vital organ. As I mentioned before, of all the moose I have killed for the past 25 years or so, I have only been able to retrieve a couple of bullets.

As I mentioned before, bow hunters rely on the arrow to kill moose and other animals by bleeding. You don't need kinetic energy to push an stiletto into somebody's heart and hill the person. A BB gun does not produce a lot of kinetic energy to kill a moose. Would you agree with this? Well, we had an older fellow in Anchorage who was taken to court by Fish and Game, because he shot a moose with a BB gun to scare the moose out of his yard, and the pellet passed though between two ribs and put a tiny hole on one of the lungs. The moose bedded and died later.

By the way, one of the reasons why I like the .338WM is because the heavy bullets around 250 grains have great SD. This SD helps with penetration, and when some controlled expansion bullets such at Barnes X, TSX, Fail Safe, Berger, and others are used, these usually pass right through. These are a few of the most deadly hunting bullets available today.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:

It's not about velocity. It has never been that way. Would you use a lightweight and extremely fast bullet used to kill Prairie dogs to go moose hunting?

I have hunted moose and other Alaska animals for numerous years already, and don't rely on physics to kill such, but on creating a wound channel or to damage the largest amount of tissue of a vital organ. As I mentioned before, of all the moose I have killed for the past 25 years or so, I have only been able to retrieve a couple of bullets. The bullets that have passed though have killed moose just as fast as the two I have retrieved. Also, with a heavy bullet that has good SD, you can also slow-down an animal by breaking the shoulder, before you kill it with a follow-up shot. Very experienced bear hunters and guides sometimes do this if the bear charges (I don't hunt bears).

As I mentioned before, bow hunters rely on the arrow to kill moose and other animals by bleeding. You don't need kinetic energy to push an stiletto into somebody's heart and hill the person. A BB gun does not produce a lot of kinetic energy to be used for hunting moose. Would you agree with this? Well, we had an older fellow in Anchorage who was taken to court by Fish and Game because he shot a moose with a BB gun to scare the moose out of his yard, and the pellet passed though between two ribs and put a tiny hole on one of the lungs. The moose bedded and died later.

By the way, one of the reasons why I like the .338WM is because the heavy bullets around 250 grains have great SD. This SD helps with penetration, and when some controlled expansion bullets such at Barnes X, TSX, Fail Safe, Berger, and others are used, these usually pass right through. These are just a few of the most deadly hunting bullets available today.

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-22-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I have hunted moose and other Alaska animals for numerous years already, and don't rely on physics to kill such, but on creating a wound channel or to damage the largest amount of tissue of a vital organ. As I mentioned before, of all the moose I have killed for the past 25 years or so, I have only been able to retrieve a couple of bullets.

As I mentioned before, bow hunters rely on the arrow to kill moose and other animals by bleeding. You don't need kinetic energy to push an stiletto into somebody's heart and hill the person. A BB gun does not produce a lot of kinetic energy to kill a moose. Would you agree with this? Well, we had an older fellow in Anchorage who was taken to court by Fish and Game, because he shot a moose with a BB gun to scare the moose out of his yard, and the pellet passed though between two ribs and put a tiny hole on one of the lungs. The moose bedded and died later.

By the way, one of the reasons why I like the .338WM is because the heavy bullets around 250 grains have great SD. This SD helps with penetration, and when some controlled expansion bullets such at Barnes X, TSX, Fail Safe, Berger, and others are used, these usually pass right through. These are a few of the most deadly hunting bullets available today.
I understand what you are getting but the BB is different.

First off a BB as nowhere near the kinetic energy of a real bullet. Also, you want a big of a bullet as possible, but you dont know want it to leave the body. a .22lr might not leave the body but it doesnt delivery enough energy to stop large game. Ideally you want a round that can delivery this energy and stay in the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska