Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Update - The outfitter forwarded my query to one of his guides, who had the following to say via email:

"Mr. _______,

I'm obligated to recommend that you bring more than your 3006, but that's exactly what I will be carrying.

Truly yours,

_________"

I appreciate all of your help, Alaska. Looking forward to my visit.
You certainly could use that as an excuse to buy a .338 if you want one.

At the same time, I don't think your guide would be upset if you showed up with your 06, and, say, a couple of boxes of 200 grain Noslers loaded, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
yupper...from the dog digest.....leave a steaming pile in front of the door and the human knows now to get up and let me out when I whine! Human trained....bingo!
That's real funny. But let me tell you about one that gets me reeling: not raking the leaves in the backyard, and then I step on a pile left there by the dog, perfectly camouflaged

Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's real funny. But let me tell you about one that gets me reeling: not raking the leaves in the backyard, and then I step on a pile left there by the dog, perfectly camouflaged
hahahaa...an that dog carefully choose each leaf to cover it with! ahhahaha...'tis nice of them to let us live in their house too!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM

222 posts, read 389,432 times
Now we've got dogs pooping in this thread. Hopefully OlGrumpy doesn't come by.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Default Got to this thread out of curiousity but too funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrot View Post
Now we've got dogs pooping in this thread. Hopefully OlGrumpy doesn't come by.
yes indeed... OlGrumpy does have a thing with "dogs running loose".. Hope everyones day is free of "what's that smell"???...

Old 06-13-2012, 03:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Alright...

2011 didn't happen, but I just mailed my license/tag application for this fall. I'll be hunting the Kenai Peninsula. I'm ridiculously over gunned, but it turned out that it's far more practical to borrow a .375 H&H safe queen than it is to purchase a rifle that will instantly become another safe queen in October.

Can anyone tell me what kind of temperatures I'll be dealing with in September?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Alright...

2011 didn't happen, but I just mailed my license/tag application for this fall. I'll be hunting the Kenai Peninsula. I'm ridiculously over gunned, but it turned out that it's far more practical to borrow a .375 H&H safe queen than it is to purchase a rifle that will instantly become another safe queen in October.

On the Kenai Peninsula you can expect temperatures in the 40Fs and low 50Fs by September. It will also rain more days than there will be days with sunshine. You will be arriving during the prettiest time of the year in Alaska.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Alright...

.............Hey Jimbo...................

Wish you luck on your Alaska trip.............what specifically will you be hunting for?

Regarding the .375 H&H...........I still have mine that I put together for my 1991 Brown Bear hunt......(Whitworth action;...Douglas Barrel(chamber & throat cut for the 300gr Nosler seated flush w/ the base of the case neck);...B&K Synthetic Stock;...Warne Rings & Bases;...Leupold 1 3/5 to 5 Scope & a KDF Brake).

There are several (lighter bullets) (available for handloading it) that turn it into a very nice round for Deer, Black Bear, Elk & Moose. I am blessed with a combination utilizing that 300gr Nosler that consistantly puts 3 into 1 inch at 100 yards (with about 15/1000 inch bullet jump to the lands.) With the lighter bullets loaded to moderate pressures, it is both comfortable to shoot and quite accurate,, I will admit however, it really "shines with that 300gr Nosler" at 2685 fps.

Again I wish you luck. Just make sure that if you end up having to shoot it from the prone position..............you keep that scope about 4 inches away from your eyebrow.

I have used it on animals all the way down to coyotes and have no complaints. It is, as you probably know, a very accurate cartridge in and of it self.

Not knowing the type of country you will be hunting.....this suggestion my not apply,...however I found it to be invalueable......................

...."Get yourself a "good pair" of "ANKLE_FIT" Hip Boots......not just the regular "fit type" boots. If you will be doing a lot of walking (stalking) on terrain that is wet/mushy/ & Boggy, I think you will find out that the "ANKLE-FIT" type are "worth their weight in Gold".

Last edited by Montana Griz; 06-13-2012 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: added an after thought..........................

Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.............Hey Jimbo...................

Wish you luck on your Alaska trip.............what specifically will you be hunting for?

Regarding the .375 H&H...........I still have mine that I put together for my 1991 Brown Bear hunt......(Whitworth action;...Douglas Barrel(chamber & throat cut for the 300gr Nosler seated flush w/ the base of the case neck);...B&K Synthetic Stock;...Warne Rings & Bases;...Leupold 1 3/5 to 5 Scope & a KDF Brake).

There are several (lighter bullets) (available for handloading it) that turn it into a very nice round for Deer, Black Bear, Elk & Moose. I am blessed with a combination utilizing that 300gr Nosler that consistantly puts 3 into 1 inch at 100 yards (with about 15/1000 inch bullet jump to the lands.) With the lighter bullets loaded to moderate pressures, it is both comfortable to shoot and quite accurate,, I will admit however, it really "shines with that 300gr Nosler" at 2685 fps.

Again I wish you luck. Just make sure that if you end up having to shoot it from the prone position..............you keep that scope about 4 inches away from your eyebrow.

I have used it on animals all the way down to coyotes and have no complaints. It is, as you probably know, a very accurate cartridge in and of it self.

Not knowing the type of country you will be hunting.....this suggestion my not apply,...however I found it to be invalueable......................

...."Get yourself a "good pair" of "ANKLE_FIT" Hip Boots......not just the regular "fit type" boots. If you will be doing a lot of walking (stalking) on terrain that is wet/mushy/ & Boggy, I think you will find out that the "ANKLE-FIT" type are "worth their weight in Gold".
Grizz:

I took the day off went to the range with the .375 yesterday to sight it in. It's a very nice Winchester 70 topped with an older Burris 3x9, it really feels like a powerful rifle in your hands. I don't consider myself recoil sensitive, but it took me about five minutes to touch off the first round... I just couldn't get comfortable with the eye relief and the length of pull is about an inch and a half too short for me. I think the stock will be wearing a slip-on recoil pad to give me a bit more length when I take it into the field. The trigger is a little stiff and I kept feeling a "dodge" when I was about 75% of the way through the squeeze and had to back off several times. I was shooting Remington factory rounds with the 300 grain swift A-frame. I put a group of three on paper at the 100 yard station and checked with the spotting scope. "Hmmm... Those look pretty close together." I went out to check and I could cover them with a quarter. "I guess that rifle likes the Remington factory stuff." The group was about 2.5" high and 4" left of center. I made some adjustments and sat down for another group. The first group didn't punish me like I thought it would; it was definitely stout but far more comfortable than I expected and I got over confident. I nestled over the rifle with a nice, tight, close cheek weld. Bang! I have a bit of a Norman nose and scope bites tend to be right across the bridge (yes, I've done it several times). I knew that it was a pretty solid hit right away but shrugged it off and went to the spotting scope. Maybe 1/2" high and a hair left - I was happy with that. I did notice some bright red blood on the spotting scope, though and felt a dripping sensation from the tip of my nose. "Well, that sucks." I settled in (much more cautiously) and proceeded to put two more on paper. That group could be covered with a 10" pizza. I pulled myself together and fired another group of three to confirm. The pattern wasn't as tight, but appeared to be a good 100 yard rough zero. I'm not sure if the barrel was heating up or I was a little shaken or both, but I'll do a more exhaustive confirmation later. The third group probably approximates the kind of accuracy I can expect with a head full of adrenaline over shooting sticks after trudging through the last American wilderness for a few days.

I'm after moose, btw. I'm not sure If I'll be trudging around in my Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots or breathable pant-length waders yet...

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 06-15-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
.....Hey Jimbo.........

Just had another thought cross my mind.....................

The 2nd Silver Salmon run occurs in Sept on the Kenai River.............

If you can work it in, I'd strongly suggest that you try and do some time on the river.

The size of those Silvers in the 2 nd run is about 25% or more larger than those in the 1st run which is in August. As I type this, I am looking at a picture on my wall of me holding a 16 pound Silver that I caught on a Fly Rod when I was up there several years ago........really a great experience!!

Those LaCrosse brand Ankle Fit Hip Boots are (IMHO) the BEST. I still use mine here in MT 15 years after I bought them for use in Alaska. When not in use I hang them in an "air-tight" plastic bag in a dark corner of my garage. From what I've been told, that stops the ozone from degrading the rubber compound and will extend their useable life by at least double.

If I weren't so damn old, I'd try and get up the courage for one last trip up there, but as the saying goes:..."the head & heart are willing, but this 'old body' just ain't what it used to be

Again...............best of luck to you...............................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska