Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
All resources are renewable, it is only a question of the amount of time involved and the amount we use. Our ability to effect the planet's climate is laughable at best, hubris at worst, when compared to nature. For example, in 1991 the Pinatubo eruption in the Philippines the volcano spewed so much sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere that it lowered the entire planet's temperature by 1.2F for a period of almost two years. And that was only one eruption from one volcano.

Humans are the only species on the planet that are actually concerned about their environment. All other predators will hunt their prey to extinction, even at the cost of their own lives. All non-predators will consume every available resource until none exist, even at the cost of their own lives. Humans have at least some semblance of foresight.

If the goal of AGW believers is to "save the planet" then they are delusional, because the planet will survive just fine with or without us. In reality it is about saving the human species, or at the very least preserving the current environment so that humans do not have to adapt. In either case it is misguided, because the only way for a species to survive in the long run is by being able to adapt to an ever changing environment.
Yep - Of course the planet will go on, at least until the Sun explodes. And I didn't say anything about how much we affect the warming of the planet, only that NOT polluting and using resources that we can replace as fast as we use them can only be good for the Human race or at least we have some say in how good our future is. If tomorrow all the oil wells of the world went "dry" we all won't spontaneously explode or die, but I can guarantee life will be different. Chances of running out tomorrow are "less than zero", but it illustrates and actually strengthens our point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
The earth will never run out of oil in your lifetime, or your childrens grandchildren.

We have a way for clean pure energy but congress scrapped that idea in the mid 90's only because it would essentially put the 7 sisters out of business..

Fusion energy from the ocean! That is the simple answer to all of the current problems. But powerful (Oil) lobbyists, paid, bribed congressmen to abandon that idea & the projects were all shut down.

The massive corruption in this country is at an all time record high.

America is doomed!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
No kidding. Somewhere around the mid 30's is sweatshirt weather to me, and then somewhere around the low 20's is when I really start to get cold without a jacket on. But usually as the winter moves on those temperatures tend to decrease pretty significantly. Yay for acclimation!

In other news, it's about 50˚ warmer here than it is in Fairbanks. But it's blowing pretty good here on the mountain right now, hitting almost 30 mph.

Well this morning is another balmy -40 day, sun is out (no heat in the sunbeams) and it is a pretty day. After a few days of this we jumped to -10 for about an hour yesterday and it was almost a "Sweatshirt" moment! Course the mercury took a dive back down, but it was nice to have warmer temps for a bit anyway! Made shoveling the coal a nice event!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Fairbanks has already set a couple of record lows for November. Last night I believe Anchorage tied its record low set back in 1963. This is shaping up to be quite a winter so far.

And as I said before, you guys in the -48 better watch out once this Arctic airmass decides to move down into the continental US!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
-20 at my house in Palmer this morning. We wimps in South Central can't take this.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:47 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well this morning is another balmy -40 day, sun is out (no heat in the sunbeams) and it is a pretty day. After a few days of this we jumped to -10 for about an hour yesterday and it was almost a "Sweatshirt" moment! Course the mercury took a dive back down, but it was nice to have warmer temps for a bit anyway! Made shoveling the coal a nice event!
I guess turning on the A/C would warm things up for you, starlite.

Mr. Moose? Has the state of Alaska ever considered weatherstripping its borders so the cold couldn't escape and find its way to the lower/lesser 48?

If not, it should. It'd produce lots of jobs and help out your economy -- and probably bring back all those strippers who went to greener pastures in North Dakota.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
... Yet another record low at Fairbanks...

At 213 am this morning the temperature dropped to 36 below at the
Fairbanks International Airport. This breaks the previous record
low of 33 below in 1969.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post

And as I said before, you guys in the -48 better watch out once this Arctic airmass decides to move down into the continental US!
Send it to Seattle! Things were quite frosty and icy this morning, but the temps have warmed to the mid 30s now and I want it to be colder! Supposed to warm back up into the 40s (normal temperatures) after tomorrow. Ugh.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I've always watched the weather in AK just because of this reason. About 80% of Michigan's winter weather comes right down from Alaska.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Heheh, yeah it flat out LOOKS cold in Nenana right now on the FAA webcams. But it REALLY looks cold in Fort Yukon and Arctic Village, and it is: 36 below and 33 below respectively at noon up there in Alaska (Nenana sitting at 25 below). Here it is a seriously balmy 52˚F, and with the wind blowing it's a very nice day out. I was running the tractor earlier, but now it's football time!

Man... I gotta get up there this winter, I really do. Hopefully this trip comes together.

And I'm waiting on that Arctic airmass too, hopefully it will bring us some snow. ::fingers crossed::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska