Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:09 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know what your personal point of view is on this? What criteria do you set for yourself, or for others before they can say....." I'm an Alaskan."

Does it happen once you qualify for a dividend? After you spend a winter here with no complaints? After you have been to at least one remote location in the state? Or does it take years to develop with the intent to stay the long haul?

I know a family who moved like 15 times in 12 years. They came to Alaska about a year ago, built a home, then left, yet they call themselves "Alaskans." Is it just me, or does someone else have a hard time seeing this? I've lived 28 of my 40 years here and consider myself an Alaskan. I've covered almost every inch of this state and taken all the good and bad in stride while living here. It wasn't until about a decade ago I started referring to myself as an "Alaskan."

What do you folks think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 01:10 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I think your right. And I think those other guys are posers. I'd say anyone that considers this place the last place they will live...Alaskan.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
You don't really choose it...it chooses you, whether you think you want it to or not.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 24,217 times
Having been here the same amount of time (28 years) as alaskaboy, I really have to agree with him. I have yet to get very far north of Circle but there are few places in the rest of Alaska I haven't worked in. Ketchikan, Attu, Shishmaref, McGrath, Eagle, Yakutat and all villages and other places in between. I came up here from rural western Montana and spent 10 years living and working in the bush. Not really sure I qualify yet, but I think I'm getting close. Don't consider myself a cheechako anymore but............

Old 03-28-2008, 05:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Yeah, it annoys me when people down south tell me they're Alaskan and then I find out they spent like a summer here.
Because I was born here, there's never been a time when I've considered myself as anything but Alaskan. Sure, I've spent extended periods away over my lifetime, but I always end up right back where I started, and I guess that's what it's all about, right?
On the other hand, I think it's a state of mind. I know people who have lived up here for a long time, but they just don't seem Alaskan to me- maybe because they always want to change things- build roads, welcome the cruise ships, etc etc. On the other hand, people like Cobolt who have spent lots of time here and know the area but don't actually live here... definitely more Alaskan than not.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
A very interesting thread. I feel the draw very strongly. Not the allure of moving someplace different but an almost physical draw as if some force is telling me where I must go. Don't worry Xa'at, I'm not drinking the Koolaid. I may travel by ship but I'm definitely not a tourist.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default some are definately NOT

I'd say that some seem born to it either literally or attitude-wise, but some are definately NOT. It's the latter that seem to cause much of the aggrevation regardless of what they call themselves.

When we were living in the Anchorage area we knew a gal that had lived there over ten years and had never actually been out of the bowl past Eagle River, if you can believe it.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:18 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Default Real Alaskans

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I'm curious to know what your personal point of view is on this? What criteria do you set for yourself, or for others before they can say....." I'm an Alaskan."

Does it happen once you qualify for a dividend? After you spend a winter here with no complaints? After you have been to at least one remote location in the state? Or does it take years to develop with the intent to stay the long haul?

I know a family who moved like 15 times in 12 years. They came to Alaska about a year ago, built a home, then left, yet they call themselves "Alaskans." Is it just me, or does someone else have a hard time seeing this? I've lived 28 of my 40 years here and consider myself an Alaskan. I've covered almost every inch of this state and taken all the good and bad in stride while living here. It wasn't until about a decade ago I started referring to myself as an "Alaskan."

What do you folks think?
The majority of folks born/raised here are real Alaskans. As for the transplants, to become a true Alaskan, do not come here for PFD checks. Come here for the reason to appreciate the beauty, and do not try to change things to make it like the place you left. Also, a real Alaskan has been here at least 5-years and still wants to stay. For us such as myself born and raised here, it is a given that Alaska is unique and needs to stay that way.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
When we were living in the Anchorage area we knew a gal that had lived there over ten years and had never actually been out of the bowl past Eagle River, if you can believe it.
That really doesn't say a bunch, because maybe she finally found her personal "comfort zone". But who knows....

"Alaskan" is an attitude, not a change of address form...

Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,438 times
My wife and I are really, really enthusiastic about our impending move. We are both PA natives, love the outdoors, and are truly looking forward to some serious hunting and fishing which CA pretty much precludes.

Case in point: they are trying to build a children's play park right near where we live but it was delayed because CA law stipulates that a study must be performed to determine whether the "noise impact" of it's construction would have an adverse affect on local wildlife. Yes, you heard that right. We live right in the middle of a huge development but God forbid that an animal or two might be disturbed by the installation of a swingset or slide. God help us all....

On another note, my wife and I are looking at this move as a great adventure (we're definitely prepared financially) and really want our 1-yr old daughter to grow up where the destructive influence of lower-48 idiocy is eliminated.

I want my munchkin to be able to, by the time she's 5-6 years old, shoot a .22 and build a computer.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 03-30-2008 at 02:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska