Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times

Advertisements

Just curious how many folks are planning on leaving Alaska and their reason/s. I've heard from several neighbors who have been up here a long time that they are going to head out; fed-up with how many are moving up here, all of the constant building in the Valley, etc. So let's hear it from you folks. Have a great Alaskan day all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:18 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Let me get this straight. You know people who are fed up with so many people moving up here (Alaska's population being around 680,000 in a state whose size dwarfs any other) even though Alaska's growth rate is right in line with the US as a whole (of course that's because of the unchecked flood of illegals coming across the border)?

Tell your neighbors that I apologize for moving to the Valley but darnit, my wife's job offer and wanting to raise my child(ren) in a more rural environment than the loony bin of Silicon Valley just seemed a bit more important than not inflating Wasilla's huge population (sarcasm intended) by 3 people.

Does the cliche that "the grass isn't always greener" ring a bell with these folks?

Last edited by Classic Satch; 05-28-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 AM

559 posts, read 1,324,320 times
Please! Pretty much every area in the lower 48 has the same issue, but 10 fold for many areas in terms of population growth. Looking at the population growth for all states, Alaska is barely growing compared to a majoity of the lower 48. Even here in the Midwest, it seems like every corn field within 50-100 miles of a metro area is being paved over. Alaska, even the area near Anchorage seems like a rural paradise to me, although I cant understand the commutes from Wasilla with the crazy gas prices.
State Population Data Take a look at places like Texas, Arizona, Florida, even Minnesota compared to Alaska

Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,570 times
Well as for our reasons for leaving is strictly the time is right for retirement, we plan on being snow birds will be up here several times during the winter but limiting to only a couple weeks each time and then we will be up all summer. We are very tired of the snow in the winter time I've been here for 35 years and hubby was born here, our family will remain.

Good luck to all those that moved up here, our leaving will be bittersweet but we have a great deal of highway to check out.

This is a great place to raise strong kids, my two were raised in Anchorage and both are survivors.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,791 times
I love Alaska and all it has to offer but am moving. It took a likely terminal illness to get me to move. Only cause I have 3-4 years and want to experience a few new things before I check out. Wife and I have a dream of living on the beach so we plan to make it happen. Otherwise I would stay. Only people who leave Alaskan are those who are just not cut out for it here ( and there are many) or those who think they will find greener pastures, but usually are wrong.

I've been here most all my life, this place becomes part of who you are. Sure the winters are long, so you have to like the cold and snow. Traveling that time of year can help too. The summers are like no other place found on earth, it's almost like living in a dream up here during the summer.

I think some people come here with unreasonable expectations and when it does not happen, they get frustrated and move out, usually regretting it later. If I had a dollar for all those who left in a fit, then moved back a year or so later, I would be rich.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Please! Pretty much every area in the lower 48 has the same issue, but 10 fold for many areas in terms of population growth. Looking at the population growth for all states, Alaska is barely growing compared to a majoity of the lower 48. Even here in the Midwest, it seems like every corn field within 50-100 miles of a metro area is being paved over. Alaska, even the area near Anchorage seems like a rural paradise to me, although I cant understand the commutes from Wasilla with the crazy gas prices.
State Population Data Take a look at places like Texas, Arizona, Florida, even Minnesota compared to Alaska
Oh man are you ever dead on. The sprawl & development that I have seen happen in my hometown just w/in the last 5 years is sickening. There are NO family farms in Milwaukee & just a few left in the County & surrounding burbs. Nope, it's all McMansions that will blow away in a slight wind because they're all pices of crap cookie cutter models w/no trees in sight & strip malls & condos. This is why I like going up north, but the situation up there is becoming ridiculous as well. There's no getting away from it!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
I'm in no hurry to go back to POW; the grass really is greener where I'm at Hell, I my never go back. All the wankers seem to be moving to Alaska

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,688 times
Wait till the bigger avalanche of mortgages hit the birdkilling GREEN FAN over the next 2 years.

Throw in $10.00 fuel oil and gas and watch the flees move back to Los Angeles .

Live in the material underground slime world called material USA and die worthless.

Yes , the wind energy mills are shredding 200,000 wildfowl per year. You fony hypocrite ignorances.

Its all about money so sell it all.. while you can.

Real Estate will fall another 40%; then buy. Dont listen to any so called; GURUS !! Realestate people are workin as waitress now.

Think about it; all your veggies are meats and everything else are coming in on 747 foreign owned transports-- go to the airport and look! No refineries in Alaska!, what a joke.

Wake up America; Your about to be raped , and not subjectively on this next goround.

Back in 1929 the people were a lot more civil than the greedy group thats living now-- have a garden?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
Wait till the bigger avalanche of mortgages hit the birdkilling GREEN FAN over the next 2 years.

Throw in $10.00 fuel oil and gas and watch the flees move back to Los Angeles .

Live in the material underground slime world called material USA and die worthless.

Yes , the wind energy mills are shredding 200,000 wildfowl per year. You fony hypocrite ignorances.

Its all about money so sell it all.. while you can.

Real Estate will fall another 40%; then buy. Dont listen to any so called; GURUS !! Realestate people are workin as waitress now.

Think about it; all your veggies are meats and everything else are coming in on 747 foreign owned transports-- go to the airport and look! No refineries in Alaska!, what a joke.

Wake up America; Your about to be raped , and not subjectively on this next goround.

Back in 1929 the people were a lot more civil than the greedy group thats living now-- have a garden?

The sky is falling the sky is falling. GOOD HEAVENS, things may be bad but not as bad as you are making them out to be. With a new President who can cghange policy I think things will turn around. Im not going to stock up on MRE's and fear the worst like Y2K all over agian.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:18 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
The sky is falling the sky is falling. GOOD HEAVENS, things may be bad but not as bad as you are making them out to be. With a new President who can cghange policy I think things will turn around. Im not going to stock up on MRE's and fear the worst like Y2K all over agian.
Yes, Right. The President will save us. Right. Government will save us. No need to whip out the self reliance or sacrifice. Let's just wait for those handouts. Give me an effen break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska