Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
Wait till the bigger avalanche of mortgages hit the birdkilling GREEN FAN over the next 2 years.
Not just residential mortgages, but commercial mortgages as well. After that the banks will begin to fail because of unpaid credit card debt. It should be interesting for sure.

Quote:
Throw in $10.00 fuel oil and gas and watch the flees move back to Los Angeles .
Peoples' movements will be drastically curtailed. We'll be seeing a greater rise in home invasions by thugs looking for gas & food. I've been seeing a rise in people heading to the jewelry stores to sell their gold & diamonds. Its just going to grow worse.

Quote:
Live in the material underground slime world called material USA and die worthless.
Hopefully you can still retain your dignity & your ethics.

Quote:
have a garden?
Yup. I need to layaway more non-hybrid seeds though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
The sky is falling the sky is falling. GOOD HEAVENS, things may be bad but not as bad as you are making them out to be. With a new President who can cghange policy I think things will turn around. Im not going to stock up on MRE's and fear the worst like Y2K all over agian.
The president has very little real control over the economy.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:38 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Let me get this straight. You know people who are fed up with so many people moving up here (Alaska's population being around 680,000 in a state whose size dwarfs any other) even though Alaska's growth rate is right in line with the US as a whole (of course that's because of the unchecked flood of illegals coming across the border)?

Tell your neighbors that I apologize for moving to the Valley but darnit, my wife's job offer and wanting to raise my child(ren) in a more rural environment than the loony bin of Silicon Valley just seemed a bit more important than not inflating Wasilla's huge population (sarcasm intended) by 3 people.

Does the cliche that "the grass isn't always greener" ring a bell with these folks?
Hey Satch, how's it going for you, the wife and the little one? LOL at your remarks; I think the neighbors were referring to all of the condos and apartment buildings they have and still are building. Actually both have been up here over 20-years. I just thought it was funny that after all those years they were leaving and then it made me wonder what other Alaskans are thinking. We are really shielded up here from some of the mess going on in the lower 48.

The one neighbor is planning on possibly moving back to England; other one going somewhere in lower 48. If I leave, it's because I want to be closer to family. I know Wasilla has grown alot since we moved here in 2002. However, nothing like where you came from or N.Y. where my husband is from. And Thank Goodness for that! Anyway, WELCOME to Alaska and hope things are going great for all three of you.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Scarey...

Originally Posted by Manmountain
Throw in $10.00 fuel oil and gas and watch the flees move back to Los Angeles .

Peoples' movements will be drastically curtailed. We'll be seeing a greater rise in home invasions by thugs looking for gas & food. I've been seeing a rise in people heading to the jewelry stores to sell their gold & diamonds. Its just going to grow worse.

Ah, why did you have to go and say that; same thing my husband says and it is a really scarey thought but could possibly come true. God help us all and load up the guns is what I think.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Well as for our reasons for leaving is strictly the time is right for retirement, we plan on being snow birds will be up here several times during the winter but limiting to only a couple weeks each time and then we will be up all summer. We are very tired of the snow in the winter time I've been here for 35 years and hubby was born here, our family will remain.

Good luck to all those that moved up here, our leaving will be bittersweet but we have a great deal of highway to check out.

This is a great place to raise strong kids, my two were raised in Anchorage and both are survivors.
Best of luck to you and hubby Tressa and enjoy your retirement.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:49 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Hey Satch, how's it going for you, the wife and the little one? LOL at your remarks; I think the neighbors were referring to all of the condos and apartment buildings they have and still are building. Actually both have been up here over 20-years. I just thought it was funny that after all those years they were leaving and then it made me wonder what other Alaskans are thinking. We are really shielded up here from some of the mess going on in the lower 48.

The one neighbor is planning on possibly moving back to England; other one going somewhere in lower 48. If I leave, it's because I want to be closer to family. I know Wasilla has grown alot since we moved here in 2002. However, nothing like where you came from or N.Y. where my husband is from. And Thank Goodness for that! Anyway, WELCOME to Alaska and hope things are going great for all three of you.
Thank you very much. So far, so good. We should close on the house next week and then we can get the hell out of this hotel. The couch is about as comfortable as a 57 Chevy bench seat and the "high-speed" Internet is comparable to dial-up. But, we're not paying for any of it so I guess I shouldn't complain. Overall though, we love it up here.

In reference to what someone else said a bit earlier, we better all hope and pray that the Democrats don't take full control of the government. They actually believe in all that global warming crap and will implement ridiculous measures which make the cost of fuel and electricity skyrocket. It's so stupid as to border on the unbelievable but these idiots will happily wreck the economy to fight a non-existent threat. Al Gore and his ilk need to find hole and stay there, permanently.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:54 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Outside of places like Anchorage and Fairbanks (and the nearby surrounding areas and bedroom communities), Alaska really isn't very densely populated, nor is it really growing much if at all. A lot of Alaska makes Vermont look like NYC. And I like that lack of people. Hopefully the increasing costs (largely because of fuel) of trying to live a "normal" American lifestyle in the remote parts of the state will keep down the development...

Old 05-28-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Thank you very much. So far, so good. We should close on the house next week and then we can get the hell out of this hotel. The couch is about as comfortable as a 57 Chevy bench seat and the "high-speed" Internet is comparable to dial-up. But, we're not paying for any of it so I guess I shouldn't complain. Overall though, we love it up here.

In reference to what someone else said a bit earlier, we better all hope and pray that the Democrats don't take full control of the government. They actually believe in all that global warming crap and will implement ridiculous measures which make the cost of fuel and electricity skyrocket. It's so stupid as to border on the unbelievable but these idiots will happily wreck the economy to fight a non-existent threat. Al Gore and his ilk need to find hole and stay there, permanently.
Good, glad to hear about the house closing next week. Alaska is easy to fall in love with. Even though I can't stand our current "regime" in office I have to agree with you about the Dems; global warming, universal health, gun control, total freekin idiots. Gore is such a hypocrite; he preaches we should conserve while he maintains 2-3 homes, one generating $30,000 year in electricity.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm in no hurry to go back to POW; the grass really is greener where I'm at Hell, I my never go back. All the wankers seem to be moving to Alaska
LOL..good one. I liked your post. But it sounds like you are in a pretty great place in Oregon which is a beautiful state. I had heard Portland had problems with illegals, is that true?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:14 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
When long time Alaskans move out I usually hand them my card and tell them to keep it. You wouldn't believe how many times they come back in 6 months to a year and say it wasn't what they remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska