Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Polar Bears are endangered?
Yes 24 48.00%
No 23 46.00%
Don't know 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson
You did notice above where I specified only biologists that are credible and have done field work. ...
You are quoting only the biologists that you want to quote, that doesn't make them correct.
Then you of course can find an equal number of credible biologists that have done field work on the North Slope that disagree??? No, in fact you can't. As I specified (not quoted), they all agree.

And of course the biologists that I did quote (Ray Cameron being the ringer with his name up front) do happen to be the most highly respected caribou biologists in Alaska. You probably should check out who you are claiming is not correct before making a fool of yourself again.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well they are here in the "thousands"... So what is your point?
That you can't even be relied upon to honestly count caribou!

There are usually two different census counts done every year,
and they do not come up with "thousands". Are you telling
me you are right and the ADF&G, using aerial photography, is wrong?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Interesting stuff Floyd... What happens to the bears that get shot? Is polar bear good eating?
Bear meat is okay. Brown bears aren't worth eating though. And with polar bear it is important not to eat (or feed to your dog even) the liver, which is loaded with enough vitamin A to be fairly toxic. About a square inch of it for a snack and your skin will bleach and scale. More than that is likely to kill you.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Floyd, thanks for that one about the liver of the polar bear, I read that somewhere and could not for the life of me remember, think journal of a photographer in a village up there somewhere. Was arguing with brother-in-law who has been here forever about that, they thought I was loco,...Think I also read you don't want to get your hands or skin in any liquid or anything near the liver, so as not to suffer the same. So thank you much!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Granny the polar bear liver was mentioned in the book The Gift of The Whale.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Barkley, guess maybe I should read it? I love finding the tidbits out there that the "oldtimers" argue about and shake heads and stumble off...Them, not me

Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
I thought it was an excellent read.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Even if we started the process to build more off-shore rigs it would take years before that oil would get to pump. Just to build one off-shore rig on the mainland can take as long as 2 years. They then have to be towed hundreds of miles.
Quote:
And doing nothing would do what?
It would help get us off the oil teat and on to other energy sources. We went thru this in the early 70's, except it was supply not price which led to long lines, even/odd days and even spending the night sleeping in your vehicle at a gas station waiting for the truck to arrive.

. We blew it back then, let's not blow it again. The Dept of Energy was formed as a result of that but was supposed to get the country off oil and onto other sources. Didn't quite work out that way.

Doing nothing.....not an option, if ya care anything about your kids future. We have a methane plant at a county landfill in Vermont producing electricity for 10,000 homes in Vermont. A small step, for sure, but one of many steps being taken.

Wind, solar, biofuels, hydro, smart grids are some of the other choices that are happening all over the country. Green construction/renovation is not a fringe idea anymore, it's on the frontburner now. It's profitable now.

The world is changing and oil isn't working anymore as the dominating source.
We will still use and need oil but as the other sources come online oil will hopefully go back to it's true value and everyone will be better for it.

About a year ago there was alot of news down here over the shutdown of half the Alaskan pipeline due to rust and corrosion all over the system. Millions are need to get it back so future problems don't happen. Your up there, fact or fiction?

With no new refineries built in the 35 years means any disruption in the supply chain up your way will only increase the problem. I know you think it's the "treehuggers" fault for that.

Not true, it's the local residents who fear tainted water, pollution, who had a general mistrust for the companies. Call it the NIMBY attitude if you want. I see it as people defending their quality of life.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Floyd, thanks for that one about the liver of the polar bear, I read that somewhere and could not for the life of me remember, think journal of a photographer in a village up there somewhere. Was arguing with brother-in-law who has been here forever about that, they thought I was loco,...Think I also read you don't want to get your hands or skin in any liquid or anything near the liver, so as not to suffer the same. So thank you much!!!
It isn't that toxic! That was one of the things said in an article here my a friend of Barkingowl.

You might have read about it in almost anything you've seen that discusses traditional lifestyles in the Arctic. It gets mentioned by just about everyone. There have actually been European explorers that poisoned themselves from eating polar bear liver, so there are no end of good stories.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
It would help get us off the oil teat and on to other energy sources. We went thru this in the early 70's, except it was supply not price which led to long lines, even/odd days and even spending the night sleeping in your vehicle at a gas station waiting for the truck to arrive.

. We blew it back then, let's not blow it again. The Dept of Energy was formed as a result of that but was supposed to get the country off oil and onto other sources. Didn't quite work out that way.

Doing nothing.....not an option, if ya care anything about your kids future. We have a methane plant at a county landfill in Vermont producing electricity for 10,000 homes in Vermont. A small step, for sure, but one of many steps being taken.

Wind, solar, biofuels, hydro, smart grids are some of the other choices that are happening all over the country. Green construction/renovation is not a fringe idea anymore, it's on the frontburner now. It's profitable now.

The world is changing and oil isn't working anymore as the dominating source.
We will still use and need oil but as the other sources come online oil will hopefully go back to it's true value and everyone will be better for it.

About a year ago there was alot of news down here over the shutdown of half the Alaskan pipeline due to rust and corrosion all over the system. Millions are need to get it back so future problems don't happen. Your up there, fact or fiction?

With no new refineries built in the 35 years means any disruption in the supply chain up your way will only increase the problem. I know you think it's the "treehuggers" fault for that.

Not true, it's the local residents who fear tainted water, pollution, who had a general mistrust for the companies. Call it the NIMBY attitude if you want. I see it as people defending their quality of life.
To the leak issue, there was a leak in the oil fields that shut the flow back by about half. The feeder lines were not being maintained by BP as they claimed and they did in fact rust, they were charging off tax money against the "Costs" they weren't doing... The spill was in the winter and was easily contained and cleaned up, all the pipeline in question was replaced. BP got caught and paid a pretty hefty fine, they certainly aren't perfect and need to be watched, never claimed anything less. The same applies to those that claim such items as Global Warming, which has been down graded to "Climate Change" (since that is fizzing out) and using the polar bear as a foster child of the anti oil lobby, they lied too and I take offense to that.

The pipeline itself was shut down a few years ago when an idiot shot the pipeline with a .338 rifle and punched a hole in it, blew oil almost a hundred yards and made a mess. He is in jail for a long time now, he will be pretty old when he gets out if it works out right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska