Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do folks in Alaska feel about Gov. Palin
I support Gov Palin. Voting McCain in 2008 32 42.11%
I do not support Gov. Palin. Voting Obama in 2008 29 38.16%
Both equally bad, were Doomed 15 19.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
It puzzles me how or why the lefties think that Palin is "pandering" or "milking" some of these issues. The fact that her 5th child was a Downs baby was public knowledge the day he was born, it was in the official press release. Likewise with her sons deployment to Iraq, public knowledge. Sara Palin was a public figure long before she got tapped for the VP pick after all. It's all out there for anyone doing any homework at all, not some kind of a secret.

I suspect that a lot of the bizarre theories and obvious falsehoods being published in the Obama camp attack blogs are solely due to their doing NO actual research at all. They're just pounding out whatever drivel they think will sell that day, without any regard or concern for the facts whatsoever. The standard of truthfulness for even the mainstream media is so abysmally low these days, with the bloggers it's completely non-existent.

It's painfully obvious that Bristol Palins pregnancy was dragged out into the public view as a response to the "not really her baby" claims about her mother. I very much doubt that it would have become public knowledge prior to the elections, if at all, if not for the actions of the conspiracy-nut hatebloggers on the Obama payroll. While I detest the fact that this very private aspect of her personal life as a minor child has been dragged under the white-hot glare of the of the election-cycle microscope, I applaud how gracefully the Palin family has been dealing with it. It's reprehensible that so much media attention has been focused on someone thats not even an adult yet, let alone a candidate.

How about some attention to an actual issue, such as Obamas obvious loathing for rural/conservative Americans and his total disregard for our second amendments rights? Or how his 130-odd "present" votes in the Illinois legislature display a manifest inability to make a decision (or maybe to be held accountable for such?). Or the fact that any number of years as a junior congressman constitute exactly zero executive experience? Or...where do I begin? It's obviously much easier to just attack your opponants kids, they're easy targets. Still, thats a low blow even by campaign standards.
Since she is against sex education in schools combined with the fact that her teenaged daughter is pregnant, it is valid to ask to get her feelings on this issue.

We’ve had 20 months to question Obama. We only have 57 days to question Palin and it’s obvious by the statement Rick Davis, McCain's campaign manager made today, he admits that she is not ready. He told Fox News today that Palin wouldn't subject herself to any tough questions from reporters "until the point in time when she'll be treated with respect and deference” and said Palin would do interviews, "When we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it."

If she’s not comfortable now, when will she be? Does the same go for a crisis she’ll have to manage? She’ll address it when she’s comfortable? Fact is she should have been making the rounds on the Sunday talk show circuit this past weekend, but she’s not ready to do so as their own campaign admitted.

If she’s not ready for that, she’s not ready for the job.

And I though McCain was making this election about experience. Now it’s about change. I thought that was the Democrats motto. And how do you get change from someone who’s been in Washington for 27 years? And executive experience; 3 of the 4 in the election don’t have any, including the top of each ticket. So if you’re counting the fact that Obama has no executive experience against him, count it against McCain as well.

And what about that bridge to nowhere? Now that people have had a chance to investigate this, it seems that she was “for it before she was against it”. Now where have we heard that before, hmmmm…. And telling Congress, “thanks, but no thanks” was more like “thanks” as she kept the earmark from that project.

FactCheck.org: GOP Convention Spin, Part II

Obama is not attacking his opponents children. The press has valid questions to ask her since she is against sex education in schools and her teenaged daughter is pregnant. But the questions are too uncomfortable for her. Either the campaign is too worried that she can’t adequately provide answers some of these questions on her own, or she can’t stand the heat, because she won’t go in the kitchen.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Sorry Redd. McCain owns the experience argument. By choosing Palin who seems to be inexperienced it automatically brings up the comparison to Obama...who really has no experience at all, and he is at the top of the ticket.

He voted present in the legislature a lot...when he didn't want to take a position.

Then McCain took the change argument away as well. Who has been pushing for change for years? McCain.

Then we look at Obama's positions on issues. If we were to go by the few votes he has taken a position on we see that he is further to the left than absolutely anyone in congress.

It makes us sit back and wonder who will we vote for. I never was crazy about McCain...and I'm still not. Actually, I didn't really like anyone who ran in the primary on either side of the ticket. But the choice between McCain and Obama is obvious for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
McCain chose Palin?

GENIUS I TELL YA! GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOO HOO!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM

238 posts, read 863,536 times
Hmmm... the debate rages on

Obama: Virtualy no record of major distinction, guilded image, charisma galore, rise to unprecidented media idolatry... historic if nothing else. He also appears to have the best of intentions for his country.

McCain: Undeniable patriot (not that Obama isn't), still believes what he was told about all of history from WW1 on. Definitely knows by now who the real power brokers are in D.C. and Wall Street.

Ron Paul: Speaks about the very survival of our nation as it relates to monetary policy and the major media speaks of him as if he's asking us to wear tin foil hats.

All: Truly Believe they are doing right by the nation they love

1/2 of American Citizens: See 2 parties doing prety much the same thing... Nothing. Thus they quit paying attention years ago, and don't vote.

Everyone: Realize nothing will change as long as we continue to fight about who's centrist party leans closer to a few of our core beliefs.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default Obama and the 2nd amendment

This one's for Metla...taken directly from the candidate himself

“So it’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them….”
-- Barack Obama, April 2, 2008

Barack Obama has made it clear – he believes gun owners are dangerous and that guns should be banned.

Barack Obama Has Supported:

A Total Ban on Handguns
A Ban on the Sale or Transfer of All Semi-Auto Firearms
A Ban on Right-to-Carry Permits
A Ban on Firearms Kept in the Home

In his rare appearances in the Illinois legislature (when he was not off campaigning again) he has advanced or proposed laws requiring prosecution of citizens using a firearm to defend themselves IN THEIR OWN HOMES, a 500% tax increase on firearms and ammunition, the total ban of hundreds of rifles and shotguns commonly used for sporting purposes, to ban virtually every type of rifle ammunition commonly used for target and sporting purposes, and to encourage predatory and reckless lawsuits designed to put the industry at fault for the actions of criminals, designed to put the firearms industry out of business.

He is one of the most solidly "F" rated politicians on record as rated by the NRA. He believes that the recent Supreme Court decision clarifying that the 2nd amendment is an individual right was "a historic mistake" and would appoint justices to the Supreme court that take this wholly mistaken view of the constitution.

In fact, the NRA sums it up as saying that "he would be the most anti-gun president in American history" as well as the following:

BARACK OBAMA: WHAT HE SAYS...WHAT HE DOES

WHO IS THE REAL BARACK OBAMA:

Is the real Barack Obama the man who said:

"I believe the Second Amendment means something. . . . There is an individual right to bear arms."— Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Feb. 16. 2008 (JS Online: Obama, Clinton support for right to bear arms)

Or is it the man who voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry to continue?

"I am a strong believer of the Second Amendment," he said. "Nobody's going to take the guns of law-abiding Virginians away from them." Richmond Time Dispatch, Aug, 22, 2008 (Obama: I'm not too liberal for Va. - Richmond politics, Virginia politics, national races and more - inRich.com (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/politics.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-08-22-0153.html - broken link))

Or is it the man who has called for the renewal of the failed Clinton gun ban? Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes (Barack Obama on Gun Control and Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes) Oct 21, 2004.

"I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms,"

Or is it the man who has said he categorically opposes your right to carry for self-defense?

“I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures.

Or is it the man who believes that “what works” in Chicago is a complete ban on handgun ownership?

"There is an individual right to bear arms. But it is subject to common sense regulation."—Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Online, 2/15/08

Or is it the man who includes as “sensible regulation” prosecuting people who use a handgun in their own home in self-defense?

Is the real Barack Obama the man about which Gov. Schweitzer of Montana said:

“He ain't going to take your gun away. He ain't ever going to take your gun away.” Missoulian, August 13, 2008 (Missoulian: Schweitzer says Barr is best gun candidate (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/08/13/news/local/news03.txt - broken link))

Or is it the man who endorsed a complete ban on handguns?‑ Independent Voters of Illinois/Independent Precinct Organization general candidate questionnaire, Sept. 9, 1996. The responses on this survey were described in “Obama had greater role on liberal survey,” Politico, March 31, 2008. (Obama had greater role on liberal survey - Kenneth P. Vogel - Politico.com)

And there is more. This is the real Barack Obama:

"I’m consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry."

Chicago Tribune, 4/27/04

"I think it’s a scandal that this president (Bush) did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban."

Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes, 10/21/04

"I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturers lobby."

The Audacity of Hope, by Barack Obama, 2006

"I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country." (gun ownership and restrictions on guns)

Politico, 2/11/08

"I think that local jurisdictions have the capability to institute their own gun laws."

BaltimoreSun.com, 2/15/08

"There was a discussion today about a law that has just passed in California that allows micro-tracing of bullets that have been discharged in a crime so that they can immediately be traced," he said. "This is something that California has passed over the strong objections of the NRA…That's the kind of common sense gun law that gun owners as well as victims of gun violence can get behind."

Baltimore Sun.com Feb. 15, 2008

#

Q: When you were in the state senate, you talked about licensing and registering gun owners. Would you do that as president?

A: I don't think that we can get that done.

2008 Democratic debate in Las Vegas Jan 15, 2008

Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
OK...I'll vote for Ron...if I have to...I guess...

Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Wait a minute Rance. You don't get to vote.

You're neutral...remember?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 AM

Default light reading

If you're still undecided and up to a little light reading here's a site with some unbiased, factual information about Obama. It's based on his actual voting record in the Illinois legislature and his quoted statements from the campaign trail. None of the usual flaming-blog opinions, just the facts.

http://www.gunbanobama.com/

Makes for interesting reading, particularly if you're a gun owner or just a fan of ALL the amendments to the constitution...which BTW, he's not.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
If you're still undecided and up to a little light reading here's a site with some unbiased, factual information about Obama. It's based on his actual voting record in the Illinois legislature and his quoted statements from the campaign trail. None of the usual flaming-blog opinions, just the facts.

http://www.gunbanobama.com/

Makes for interesting reading, particularly if you're a gun owner or just a fan of ALL the amendments to the constitution...which BTW, he's not.
Good link, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:30 AM

Default ALL the scoop on Sara "barracuda" Palin

SO, what do you say lets consolidate all the "he said/she said" pro-this/anti-that Obama/Palin/McCain stuff on one thread...this one. That way we can concentrate all the hyperbole and vitriol in one location and leave the rest of the forum available for the usual repetitive questions about "here's absolutely no information about me at all, where should I move to?" and "how much does a loaf of gas cost?"

Not to mention that it'll make things SO much easier for all the brand-new "posters" who are only here to troll for dirt on Palin in and among us "northwoods hicks and backwards red-staters". Heck, since there's not even three-quarters of a million Alaskans and the states only a bit over half a million square miles, we MUST know all the dirty little secrets about Palin since we live here.

Heck, I'll even throw out this shocking allegation from an uninpeachably reliable source.

Ready? Here it comes...

My second-cousins friends housekeepers husband knows a guy that plays poker with the fella that takes out the trash from a restaurant that Sara Palin once ate at with her family back in the eighties...and the waitress that used to work with the busboy that cleaned the dishes from the table that was next to the one they ate at said that she only tipped fifteen percent! Well, I mean, her husband also left a couple of bucks cash too... but can you believe it? She's obviously totally unsuitable for the Whitehouse based on this obviously shrill and vindictive incident.

And there you have it, you can run right back to your hot little "progressive liberal" flaming hate-blog with this juicy bombshell and let your fingers fly over that keyboard. Absolute proof (by blog standards, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska