Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 51,539 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Warp!! Bethel, huh? You're a NATIVE? VERY NICE!! The more info, the better!! Bring it on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
I drive a Saturn SL sedan. And I drive it a LOT, probably put on more miles than most people. So far I haven't changed to studded tires. I drive carefully and have no problem. I do have studded tires and I recommend them.

I have driven in Alaska for almost 40 years now. I have had a couple fender benders that were my fault over that time, but not because I didn't have a 4 wheel drive. They were both caused by going a little too fast for the conditions. Mind you, I was going less than 20MPH in both cases, but that was too fast.

I had someone pull out in front of me once to an accident I could not avoid.

Bottom line, if you drive carefully, don't go too fast for the conditions, stay out of places that your car can't handle, (ie...don't drive a two wheel drive sedan through 2 feet of snow), you can use almost any vehicle here.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapipupi3 View Post
You live in Charlotte, huh? We live in Chester, SC, only about an hour away from you!! Not much more expensive than Charlotte? How do you figure that?
Well rent here in Charlotte for say a 3 bedroom house is going to start around $1k/month unless the house is in the ghetto or its a real dump. The price of food is pretty much the same as here. You'd use supermarket loyalty cards & shop at wholesale clubs to make it a bit more reasonable, much like we do here. Up until maybe a week ago the price of gas was cheaper in Wasilla than it was here. Going out to eat is a little more expensive there, but you tend to get more food for your money.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 51,539 times
ANOTHER question, Guys!!

What is the best area for good ol' ordinary working people??

We are NOT "City Folk". We are "Blue Collar Redneck" types that are PROUD of working hard for what we have. We don't need a "Mansion" or a country club. We want a nice community with friendly people that we can LIVE with.

We'd like to live in an area that is kind of rural, but not TOO far away from amenities. About 30 minute drive is acceptable. We like a quiet neighborhood, but we want the "Good Stuff" to be handy,too.

We were considering Mat-Su area. Any ideas??

Time for me to make an early supper for us. I'll be back on later...;-D

Old 10-21-2008, 01:52 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Wasilla seems like a good match.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

It's those "Nosy Southerners" again!! Got MORE questions for you Alaskans....

What kind of vehicle works BEST for dealing with the climate in Alaska?
Any vehicle works just fine in Alaska, providing it has been properly prepared for the conditions. This includes a block heater an oil pan heater and battery blanket if you live in the Interior. If you live in the Anchorage bowl or on the Kenai Peninsula, then just a block heater is sufficient.

Quote:
Is there a REAL NEED to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle?
No. A 4-wheel drive vehicle can not stop any faster or with any more control than a 2-wheel drive vehicle on snow and ice. The only advantage of having a 4x4 or AWD vehicle is to get additional traction when accelerating in snow, ice, or mud.

Quote:
Should this vehicle be equipped with a winch?
Only if you plan on doing off-road driving, or pulling people out of the ditch.

Quote:
Are there any issues with snow/ice melting (salt,chemicals) products on the roads? How would we remove those chemicals so they wouldn't "eat" our car?
Sand is used on our roads, particularly at heavy intersections, to provide traction during the winter. Only enough salt is used to keep the sand from freezing. As a result, there isn't a problem with rusting vehicles in Alaska.

Quote:
How would we care for our vehicle in the harsher climate? More frequent oil changes? Heavier weight oil for the colder winters? Different type of Antifreeze?
I change my oil every 3,500 miles. In the summer I use 10-40W oil, and in the winter I use 5-30W oil. You want to use an oil with less viscosity during the winter months. Your antifreeze should be tested to -60°F.

Quote:
Would we need to use tire chains? Studded snow tires?
Studded tires are highly recommended between Oct. 1st and May 1st.

Quote:
What kind of devices would we need to have on our vehicle--Block heater, heavy-duty battery, etc?
If you are planning on moving to the Mat-Su Valley, Anchorage, or the Kenai Peninsula, where the winters are very mild, then a block-heater is all you will need. If you are planning on moving to Fairbanks, or anywhere in the Interior, where the winters are more extreme, then an oil-pan heater and a battery blanket are also recommended.

Quote:
Would we have to "Plug Up" our vehicle in the winter to make sure it will start?
If you leave your vehicle outside overnight when the temperature is below +20°F, then plugging in your vehicle for at least 2 hours before you try to start it would be a good idea. You will consume less gas, and it will run more efficiently when warm. If it drops below -30°F, you may not be able to start your vehicle unless you do plug it in and warm it up first.

Quote:
How are the prices of vehicles in Alaska? Reasonable?
Like everything else in Alaska, vehicles are more expensive.

Quote:
Are used car dealers reputable and decent?
I would imagine that they are like car dealers in the lower-48. I have not had any problems.

Quote:
Who are the best insurance companies? Are the rates fair?
The same as in the lower-48, and no their rates are not fair.

Quote:
Any time frame for having vehicles registered/insured?
The state requires $50,000 in liability insurance. You also need to register your vehicle and obtain an Alaska driver's license within your first 30 days within the state.

Quote:
*How do the drivers in Alaska BEHAVE?*
Poorly. I've driven all over California, Nebraska, and Minnesota, and I have never encountered worse drivers than those who drive in Alaska.

Quote:
*I'm asking this question because I'm a professional DRIVER. I drive a truck for a living. I have been driving for over 20 years, I have almost 3 MILLION accident free miles under my belt, and I have seen some REALLY STUPID things that other drivers have done, especially over the last 10 years with the advent of cell phones, Ipods, and other such devices. I'd like to have a clue about what kind of drivers I'll have to deal with, and how I can do more to "Fit In" with other Alaskans.*
It is so bad, I flat out refuse to drive on the first day the snow sticks. Literally hundreds of drivers are plowing into the ditch on that first day alone. Alaskan drivers also love to tail-gate and make lane changes without signaling. In the summer the roads are packed with slow-moving RVs, and in the winter (at least in the beginning) everyone is driving 25mph under the posted speed limit. You either learn patience, or you go completely loopy in only a couple years. You are going to truly hate driving in Alaska.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The state requires $50,000 in liability insurance. You also need to register your vehicle and obtain an Alaska driver's license within your first 30 days within the state.
Thank you for the clarification, Glitch, I though it was 90 days for driver's license.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:03 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
What about gun laws? What would we have to do to get a permit to carry a weapon?
Alaska is still part of the "real" America - you do not need a permit to carry a gun in the state of Alaska.

You are permitted to carry a weapon on your person or in your vehicle anywhere, with only a few exceptions for places like Schools, bars, court houses, federal buldings, etc. Also, you are required to divulge you are in possesion of a firearm when interacting with law enforcement personell, or before entering the private residence of another, and I think firearms are also prohibited in certain city owned parks.

The only time you would ever need a concealed carry permit is for travel outside to other states where there are reciprocity privileges.

Alaska Concealed Handgun Permits FAQ - Permits and Licensing Unit

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Alaska is still part of the "real" America - you do not need a permit to carry a gun in the state of Alaska.

You are permitted to carry a weapon on your person or in you vehicle with only a few exceptions for places like Schools, bars, court houses, federal buldings, etc. Also, you are required to divulge you are in possesion of a firearm when interacting with law enforcement personell, or before entering the private residence of another, and I think firearms are prohibited in certain city owned parks.

The only time you would ever need a concealed carry permit is for travel outside to other states where there are reciprocity privileges.

Alaska Concealed Handgun Permits FAQ - Permits and Licensing Unit
Schools and federal buildings prohibit firearms under federal law, otherwise there are no firearm restrictions in Alaska. That includes bars and city parks. Cities/Towns/Villages are prohibited by Article I, Section 19 of the Alaska State Constitution from enacting any sort of firearm restrictions.

Quote:
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Thank you for the clarification, Glitch, I though it was 90 days for driver's license.
It is 90 days. It's 30 days for a commercial license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska